Wrel has officially joined the Daybreak team

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Shaengar, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Crayv

I am a bit cautious when it comes to a game company hiring players. I remember what happened to WoW after they hired that one raid leader guy from EQ (the guy crashed servers in protest to nerfs/buffs). He made some very bad decisions and his own bias on things was rather extreme.

Though Wrel I imagine won't have nearly that level of authority and seems a lot more stable and trustworthy.
  2. Jogido

From what I have seen, Wrel has demonstrated solid analysis and thoughts on game design and he seems to be able to view a subject from multiple angles. I really don't detect any bias as well.

...also, he seems like a guy that you would like to work with on a team. This is is a really important when going pro. People have to like you ;)
  3. XanIves

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  4. ColonelChingles

Does Wrel have much experience tanking? I've looked through his videos and he was one thing on beginning tanking and one kinda inaccurate video on Skyguarding, but overall the vast majority of his videos are on the infantry game.

The last thing the game needs right now is a stronger voice for infantry players, a voice which already dominates the game.
    • Up x 2
  5. CovertYank

6. Campagne

Am I really one of the only players that dislikes this? :eek:

It is definitely a step in the right direction, but choosing only one player with a degree of fame to back him up is, in my opinion, the wrong way to go about it.

As for Wrel himself, good for him, but I don't have a good feeling about this arrangement. I feel like it's either a publicity stunt of some sort, or he will be given too much or too little say in anything.
    • Up x 1
  7. Reclaimer77

You're pathetic. I mean really. That's how you view this??

Please go play World of Tanks or something. You'll be WAY happier.
  8. Cyropaedia

Also a bit worried about his views on vehicles. Hope it turns out that he didn't Trojan Horse himself in.

All players have strong opinions on various aspects of the game. Hiring someone outside of the game under the careful guidance of current Devs may produce less bias.
    • Up x 2
  9. zaspacer

Very happy to hear it.
  10. Codex561

You sound special and well known, who exactly are you? I googled you a bit to no avail.
  11. Drowingpool

12. Reclaimer77

He has many leather bound books....
  13. CNR4806

I don't know why but I have a gut feeling that this is one massive PR stunt.
    • Up x 4
  14. 1Tap2Tap

I have no clue why some people (you know who you are) are so hostile and miserable.

The hiring at least shows that Planetside 2, in contrast to some forumsiders opinion, is indeed not a dead game in the eyes of the developers.

I am happy for Wrel, I think officially being able to work on Planetside 2 is a dream of his and I wish him success.

Because him having success in his new role also means improvement for Planetside 2.

Go figure.
    • Up x 2
  15. Towie

Well i've viewed a lot of his videos and he seems very even handed; not biased towards any specific faction (which in itself is a challenge).

He has sound views on balance and tests the hell out of stuff - which is needed, things get introduced that have unexpected strengths or weaknesses.

Overall i'd suggest he is a good, sensible choice.
  16. TheRunDown

Wrel has a lot of good opinions of what is and isn't fair with a lot of the empires weapons and mechanics.
    I wonder if we'll start to see some good balancing now.
    I know if anything was changed, say for example, the "Scythe hover + hover frame" was balanced, the PPA Splash, the AH spread and his opinion on the Banshee, I know a lot of people would hate, rage and flame on the forums about any changes, but some people can't accept fair gameplay..

I know he'll make good decisions that will make for better gameplay all around, but it would be interesting to see the responses he'll gets from people who love their easy mode farming tools..

I've seen these high KDR farmers bully people on the forums for even suggestion a balance patch on certain items.. So I could imagine a lot of QQ threads in the future..
    • Up x 2
  17. Movoza

If you have designed games, we would love to see what you've done. We all can use a laugh.

You know the fact why they would sooner hire Wrel than you? He actually gives constructive criticism, where you just repeat the same. Example:

Scrin: Spitfire is useless!
    Someone else: Gives some arguments why this isn't so and some examples where the Sptifire is a good addition
    Scrin: Spitfire is useless!
    Someone else: Gives some more arguments why this isn't so and some more examples where the Sptifire is a good addition
    Scrin: <degrading personal statements, some insults based on unrelated stuff to spitfire and experience> Spitfire is useless!

Yes I would rather go with a critical thinker that hasn't proved his or her skill yet, than someone who claims to have skill, hasn't showed any skill yet and only gives unnerving comments without any justification, only aiming to show things in a bad light whatever the cost.

....Although I say whatever the cost, constructive criticism is not part of it.
    • Up x 3
  18. Sulsa

Wrel has shown repeatedly that he has the foresight and maturity to create high quality videos that don't hinge around yelling/swearing/badmouthing.
    I am always for <insert game company name> sifting through their community and finding people who put in tons of effort for nothing more than their love of the game.

Congrats and continued success to him!
    • Up x 3
  19. Jubikus

Well the thing is people like Wrel. Im thinking that they believe its easier to teach a likeable person with some experience how to do the job than it is to get the community to like a person they already dislike that has a bit more experience. This basically means if an update happens and its a little buggy from Wrel the community will have less of an uproar from that than a bugless update from Scr1nRusher that they believe is full of stupid changes.
  20. Nejisaurus

Corporate hiring is 20% past experience, 80% how sociable/popular you are (for all the youngsters out there).
    • Up x 1