[Suggestion] Remove C4 from LA or buff tank HP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by JohnGalt36, Jan 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaphell

I start to have an idea why you have a mindboggling aversion to AT mines but not to C4. You must play fast and loose in vehicles, which means that the mines **** you over hard but make fairies landing on top a non-issue.

Were they fixed? Because there was a solid video proof they actually did just a few weeks ago.

I am aware of the skyguard limitations. It's not entirely a skill issue. Driving when staring into the sky is hard in all but the flattest of places and you can easily **** yourself over on some pebble. Also the awareness is limited hard by the necessity of keeping the camera locked for seconds at a time on air target due to the weapon characteristics. Most of the time whole mag dump doesn't kill an ESF and that's near 10 seconds, in case of libs we are talking 3 continuous mags/ 30seconds. Well no **** you can approach it preferably on foot and unload the goods.

So how about we do that and see? If there is no difference then there is no problem with giving tanks a full range AI plinker?

Paying attention is also not a sure fire way to prevent bad things happening, especially when the launching spot is 100m above and you have no view.
    Let's say that weapon angles are locked, but why not allow the full range of camera motion? The reticle could hit its limit, effectively sliding down the screen as you look up. Giving vision is imho a prerequisite for saying "look up for threats", I shouldn't be forced to bend over backwards to check the air above me because that's somehow OP.

welcome to pc gaming since forever. Next time you will tell me that anything above 60fps is unfair too (for the record a pipedream in my case).

You know what you get by not driving off the pad? A suicide. Just a few weeks ago my game froze right after 450n investment and AI did not push the skillcharriot off the pad. Next guy pulling a sunderer killed me and that was that. No, the game shouldn't wait with subsequent spawns either, because then there would be no end to intentional griefing (just park on the pad and laugh). Also in most bases you can trivially inspect the runoff area and yes, I bother checking almost every time.

Removing the ability to mine pads directly was imho a carebear move, just like removing the ability of boobytrapping spawns about to be captured or landing pads (btw I love how claymores are not affected meaningfully by the landing pad restriction due to their range)

Hypothesis from the top of my post confirmed. And no, in case of ground based threats I can utilize cover to limit my exposure but in most places there is no cover from airborne attacks. In case of air I am **** out of luck either way because of the maneuverability/speed gap.

No i don't but you can bet your *** that whenever you approach a heavily manned tower, there will be smartasses on the platforms with ridiculously long LoS spamming all kinds of long range AV.

It only goes to show how people are rtarded and go from one op toy to the next. In large masses they are still mighty scary and that's at ranges outside of non-stationary tanks' effective range. Free outside the cert investment, guided, 450m of range. Maybe not a raven tier of good and yes, there is some risk to using them but let's not be ridiculous here.

"How to become food in TvT in a single step". AI gun is a nonstarter like I said earlier in this thread. And yes, I did cert into a walker for ***** and giggles to annoy skyknights. Makes the vanguard so weak it's not funny, so you can guess how often i use it.
    • Up x 1
  2. Moridin6

you can have more guns on your tanks, im fine with that. youre still gonna vanish in a sphere of light but yeah, ok.
    i mean you Could just toss a spitfire down but if you really wanna try and find a 3rd gunner, or plan on switching to that coax yourself..

again, itll still come down to awareness planning and evasion, so youll still die.. but im always down for more weapons
    • Up x 1
  3. Reclaimer77

That's the proper and intended use of the Valkrie. I mean really, cry more man. They are using WAY more teamwork and organization then your MBT's requires to pull this off anyway.
  4. LodeTria

They do right now, hasn't been fixed as faras I know.
    • Up x 3
  5. JohnGalt36

Here's my problem with the whole "get in the air an counter it" scenario:

As far as I know, stopping a group of dedicated drifter fairies on a valk at flight ceiling requires you to adopt the one viable counter to it. One counter. One counter that isn't even viable if there is an Alfrago scythe-ball, which is what happened on Western Indar last night. Then, there is no counter.

To be clear, I am not, and have never been talking about opportunistic LA's that see a static tank and put on the supposedly tacticool moves to "outplay a situationally unaware tank". I am specifically talking about dedicated drifters coming off a valk or a cloaked sundy in the mountains. They are coordinated and will send multiple people at you at the same time. You might kill one, but chances are, one of them will C4 you.

Now, we have 1 counter that only works if enemy air support is not present. Most everything that's balanced in this game has multiple counters. Tanks can be countered by every single class in the game except infils. Imagine if the only counter to a tank was another tank. (A boy can dream.) Infantryside would be collectively spun into a wailing sh*tfit and tanks would get nerfed.

Oh, that's right, that already happened with the broken promise of a buff to tank survaivability.
  6. Hegeteus

Remember that they might as well pull liberators and rush for you being equally, if not more tedious to counter. In a good sense of combined arms, you should have at least have some dedicated anti air or aircraft of your own. You shouldn't post about balance issues saying that you need X to deal with enemies because your teammates are just sitting on their *****. You and your teammates should do something about it

I'm not saying that drifter C4ers bring anything good to this game though(or forums for that matter). At this point they will cling in this game like a disease so you should just make sure that you'll get C4ed less every day
  7. JohnGalt36

But nothing else, including my tank, requires teamwork to counter. Why should libbing or drifting be more viable than any other aspect of the game?
  8. Moridin6

have you done it? go drift drop and see how "easy" it is, time it wrong and you just wasted a lot of time and maybe some nanites
    all it takes is 1 , ONE infantry to look up and ads at you
    • Up x 1
  9. JohnGalt36

This was one afternoon. I've done it a bunch more, but it is laughably easy.
    And before people say, bbbbbuuut you are bailassaulting, not super-stealth-tactical-Icarus-jumping, THAT is what the post is about. People flying around in Valks and Scythes, dropping en masse.
    • Up x 1
  10. Inu

I really don't think that this could be balanced properly. It's about as balanced as it'll ever be. 3 GOOD LA's SHOULD kill 1 tank, under the right circumstances.

Paranoid? Get 3 friendly engineers to follow you in flashes and put down sentries.

6 BAD LA's should kill 1 Tank under most circumstances. Sacrificing numbers for a small objective makes sense balance-wise for what should be possible within this game.
  11. Moridin6

thats a whole lot of teamwork to counter whatever theyre doing..
    again i dont see it as a c4 issue but one, in That case, where you were out-manuvered so to speak.

there really may have been very little you could do, i would have attempted to take out their valks but failing that a few times i would have just moved to a different battle. theres no reason to let yourself be farmed. its not c4, they could have landed all around your tank and all hit you with ha rockets at once, or a few other things, point is you were screwed, out numbered(as far as people trying to stop them) and hindered by your tank-ness.

id say to them Well played.

its amazing what even half a dozen people working together can get done.

coordinated enemy is your real foe not c4, and unless you can gather individuals to coordinate and fight them often theres is jack sht you can do. ive been there, often, begging in prox and region for just a Few people to help me..
  12. JohnGalt36

I did take to the air and shut them down once. However, nobody has to switch to a tank to stop tanks. Everything besides C4 fairies and libs have more than one hard counter, which is bullsh*t. Everything should have multiple counters if most things do.

Plus, it doesn't require teamwork to do this stuff. You can pull a stealth valk as a drifter and go for it solo. There is almost a 0% chance that you will actually die. The only thing you actually risk is the 250 nanites for the valk, and that's assuming you don't have Indar.

If your faction owns Indar and Amerish? Forget about it. You can bailassault all day with 0 effort or teamwork. You can just spend the day ruining armor fights with no risk.
  13. Demigan

I don't play "fast and loose" as you describe it, and I don't have a hate for "normal" mines that aren't bugged in any way or placed in places where the AI forces you to suicide on them (which has this ridiculously simple solution of allowing players to take control at any point after spawning, making AT mines at spawnpoints an issue of attention rather than "spend more than half a minute each vehicle checking the vehicle pad and redeploying to get back to the terminal").

No idea, if there was a new bug I didn't know about it in the first place, I just noticed the usual BS of claymores having no indication lasers and exploding instantly rather than with a delay like the other two mines.
    Also, could it simply have been server-side lag? The server determines if it's a hit or not, so it could be that according to the server you were in the Claymore damage area while on your screen you were safe and sound behind a wall?

While there's of course a lot of Skyguards killed while actively firing at aircraft they rarely pose any more threat than a 2/2 MBT because despite their enhanced elevation and retaliation capabilities they rarely have the SA to notice you.
    Now that I think about it, I think there's more Lightnings that noticed me because their turret started warping with the C4 on top rather than them actually seeing me in time.

Just give them a co-axial option. Also upgrade AI weapons to be capable of damaging enemy vehicles. It's beyond ridiculous that for instance the AH can damage vehicles while it's ground counterpart mounted on a stable and more weight-bearing tank can't damage vehicles. By allowing AI weapons to damage vehicles you make them more viable for tanks to wear, especially for tankers that normally don't make use of gunners who will now have no problem with anyone helping their cause a little.

And as compensation please just add a bunch of non-lethal AV options to all infantry that nerf tanks in a variety of ways and ranges, this makes them more capable of going toe-to-toe with enemy vehicles without opening up AV insta-kill nests and could help with the removal of most walls around bases and give vehicles a larger input in fights. Especially with the ANT update coming up you could place those infantry-walls and have an actual synergy between infantry and vehicles beyond "these Heavies deal extra damage and those LA could blow up some unaware tanks". Calling for specific classes to give specific nerfs to enemy vehicles would be an important feature, and it would put an even bigger emphasis on both infantry-worn or tank-mounted AI weapons to take out these nerf-threats.

It isn't a sure-fire way, but it will prevent most of the C4 attacks anyway. Also even for unseen threats: Keep moving. You have no idea how many C4 fairy attacks of mine failed simply because an unaware tanker happened to start moving as I was about to lay it on him. With just these two tips you can already prevent almost any attack, especially in area's where you know an LA could come for you from high and long range using slingshot maneuvers.

Look! These are the type of idea's you can throw at me! These I like! They are simple, based on the players skill to use it rather than a passive "now you can't do this" and they solve a glaring fault that shouldn't have been in the game in the first place, and it promotes staying in first person mode rather than third person mode (assuming this is available only in first person).

Now I'm an oldschool gamer, and in the early days (so not since forever) the graphics were... Well at the time they were mind-boggling but there was just so much they could do for environment that basically every player had the same experience no matter what graphical settings they had (assuming they used settings that gave them good FPS).

It's just bad for the game if foliage can be deactivated, even though things like "recommended settings" will likely turn it on. I don't care if some PC's can or can't use the full range of foliage, you either make a substitute or you deactivate it for everyone beforehand to prevent sneaky little advantages.
    Also, any good developer would prevent things like changing the .ini files to deactivate smoke. You deactivate a whole class-specific weapon and it's counters with it for crying out loud!

You have quite a bit of time to drive off the pad actually, and spawning new stuff could be delayed for a short period of time (say 5 seconds more) should the previous tank still be on, and many pads allow you to exit on the sides or back. Also by giving the control to the player he could do things like shoot, drive around that AFK guy that stopped after spawning and letting the AI drive off of him rather than being stuck while the AI keeps driving up against him, allows you to exit your vehicle and clear any mines or save your skin if you get stuck by some stupid who is blocking your paths off the pad.
    And keep in mind that the AI is still there, if you don't touch your keyboard you are still driven off, you just have the option to take control and actually do something.

This is an easy fix for a cheesy method of getting tank kills that necessitates spending much more time and effort on "false alarms" than actually clearing mines.

Difference between "carebare" and "balancing griefing moves".

Hypothesis not confirmed, I don't drive fast and loose, I do drive more aggressively because that's a better tactic, but it reduces the time to sit around checking for mines. You should be able to rely on Q-spots or vision to spot them but that's just bugged too many times.

Don't see them that often, only at really heavily manned towers. Now I agree that some infantry AV is just too good, such as Ravens (and NC is my main faction), they have too much accuracy and DPS, and on high ground vehicles simply cannot retaliate properly unless they have specifically the Kobalt as a top-gun which just doesn't happen due to it's lack of versatility as either AA or AV weapon. Therefore rather than HE weapons some co-axial guns and more magazine-based primary canons should be made available to better deal with infantry on high positions.

It's (now) an AV weapon with good advantage or disadvantages, it sacrifices mobility and good defense for a good AV weapon.
    Also it shows how people will flock to the best weapon and tactic available.

Well this is the exact problem: If you use AP you can go toe-to-toe against other tanks, but using any other setup instantly makes you incapable of fighting in most tank vs tank situations, while with AP you are still completely viable against infantry. The lack of versatility of AI weapons and the lack of threat from infantry meaning that tanks don't need AI-based weapons are the problem here.
  14. Demigan

ESF bailer, costs you more resources than the tank, and they are likely to have regained their resources by the time you killed them and gotten a bunch of kills (one was an extreme menace)

C4 glitches, lightning doesn't even try to look what the giant freaking explosion is right behind him.
    So your C4 attack was easy because he was not paying attention.

Could easily have heard and seen the ESF approach, should have used it's high mobility to keep moving and avoid hostile fire... And possible C4 fairies. It's the tankers fault again.

Well finally a kill where the tanker isn't really to blame! However, I'm always at high alert and moving in situations like that tank because the C4 fairies can always be on the prowl. Also any other infantry or tank could be attacking you at any time, so moving is sensible anyway.

Neither cost-effective nor useful in the long run. Boo hoo? Also still 3 out of four prove my point rather than yours.
  15. DeltaUMi

Are you really that blind and ignorant enough to really deny the problem? Not to mention stupid enough to answer these rhetorical questions?

Here, I'll explain the problem with C4 using my original posts. Maybe you will actually read them.

Also in regards to mobilization time, vehicles in general, MBT's especially, take a lot more time to mobilize than infantry, since infantry can spawn at every base and deployed AMS Sunderers.

It won't be easy mode for tanks if C4 is removed.

This is why C4 is a problem.

Regarding the AMS Sunderer, it's part of infantry for a reason. You can't expect AMS Sunderers to be much use to a tank force; the AMS Sunderer doesn't have enough firepower to be a tank, but it does have enough armor to be a AFV.
  16. Mxiter

Funny, you complain about the necessity to use of air to counter air, but want to remove infantry AV efficency to only get tanks countered by tanks...
  17. LodeTria

The magrider was facing the other way according to the mini-map, and by the time he had rotated to the reaver's direction it was out of his sight radius by being above him. It also wasn't being shot at, so it had no reason to avoid hostile fire that wasn't there.
    But he also didn't have a gunner, which might have seen the reaver before it got out of the guns sight radius.

It doesn't help your case but it doesn't help his either.
  18. BakaRaymoo

The best part is he did it by himself.

For 10 minutes, 4 of us were tied up with 1 person. **** nanites; he wasted all of our time. Which, to me, is more important.

iGoRawrrr and his small squad ****** us up for over a half an hour. It turned into an amazing counter-pull battle in the end it was us with bursters on top of the biolab against his reavers. It felt like i was actually playing a competetive game. Clips of that fight will be included in my final production :p

Best part of the Rawrrr fight? His squadmates seemed to be getting salty (pms i received. I might be wrong), but he wasnt. And i promise you he was the one who organized the counter to us. In the end we were joking about it in PM

Last thing I want to add here is that we've done this valk drifting against TR/VS for months (I main NC, but left because NC connery is uncarryable and talks **** about all their good players). TR/VS never once made a thread like this, lol. Also, this same day, NC made alts to kill our sunderers. THE FIRST DAY I DRIFTED ON VS. TR/VS never stooped that low in over two years.
    • Up x 1
  19. JohnGalt36

So removing C4 from the LA would make it so tanks could only be countered by tanks? Surely, you are joking.
    You can still: hornet, nosegun, or lolpod from an ESF, tankbuster, dalton, shredder, tank mine, C4 not from a jetpack, dumbfire, lock-on, lancer, AV MAX, Vulcan, VSulcan, Gatekeeper, Halberd, *****-ATV with C4, and AV turret.

So... yeah.
  20. Reclaimer77

Of course it was easy. They were idiots.

Things I noticed from these video's
    1. Tanks with no gunners
    2. Tanks farming in place I.E camping
    3. Oblivious drivers who have explosions go off right next to them but still stay in place.
    4. Nobody EVER using proximity radar yet crying about C-4
    5. Lone wolf tanking. Not a SINGLE tank in your videos had support or was even NEAR friendly players

They deserved to die. They were bad and should feel bad. And if you do these things, which you obviously do, so should you.

I would be perfectly fine with removing the ability to bail out of ESF's.

But good luck winning that fight. The Skyknights will never allow it.

And are you honestly such a tank maniac that you think the least played infantry class in the game needs to be nerfed? You are acting like a big selfish whiner. Why is YOUR playstyle more important than anyone else's?

What's your best K/D in a tank? 50-1? 75-1? Go pull that off as a Light Assault, THEN you can talk about nerfing the class. Good luck!
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.