why vs weapons suck so bad

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by plattner, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Gustavo M

Judging by your emote spam alone... I'm 90% sure you have no idea what you are doing/saying.
    • Up x 2
  2. Zherot

That signature LOL what the hell?
  3. Weterman

I don't know why vs is nerfed as much as it is. Anyone who says it isn't is delusional. Look at the numbers. The lightning with the python is better than the stock magrider. It is in the numbers, and it is in the game. You can't even look behind in the vs tank, and you can't shoot up that much. Clear disadvantage.
  4. Mustarde

The VS have a few duds in their arsenal (so do all factions), but also have a few standouts in each category that are worth your attention. While my personal bias may cloud things, I would recommend to the OP and anyone else struggling with VS weapons try using the following:

Pulsar C, VX6-7, Terminus, HV-45, Orion, Pulsar LSW, Ursa. The Eridani is ok, the Nyx is wonderful and the beamer is very underrated. The lasher and lancer are great teamwork weapons.

I have auraxed every single carbine, AR, LMG, scout and sniper rifle for the VS. You could make specific cases for some being left off this list by mistake (the default solstice or burst variant for example) but the above arsenal of weapons are very deadly and work in the ranges that are helpful in most bases.

One thing with many of the VS weapons is that they punish poor accuracy due to lower DPM. If you struggle with accuracy, that may be the underlying problem. But conversely, if you have good aim, you can win a lot of 1v1's, have versatile engagement ranges, and minimize downtimes with good reload speeds. Just my 2 cents.
  5. Stigma

Lasher is one of those niche weapons. It is pretty much inferior to any other primary in a straight up battle - but at least it can do something that no other weapon can in the form of supression (of a doorway or similar). If you could swap out your rocketlauncher instead of your primary for it then it would actually be a super useful weapon IMO. As-is however it falls into that "only useful in a spesific situation" category.

That said - the MCG is just straight up terrible. After finally auraxiuming it I will never touch it again. I struggle to imagine even niche situations where I would actually want to use an MCG since it is basically just a horribly inaccurate LMG without any tangible benefits.

The jackhammer is IMO the only really good heavy special weapon. Essentially a straight upgrade in most ways to other shotgun options. Nothing fancy, and it doens't really do anything that other shotguns don't already do (aside from better range), but at least it excels in it's category which you can't really say for the lasher or MCG.

-Stigma
  6. Garrum

While those are some of the better VS weapons (other than the Ursa, wtf is that doing in there?), you are forgetting something: Most of those guns are inferior to it's TR or NC counterpart. The Pulsar C is an inferior Mercenary. The VX6-7 50 RPM advantage loses out to the Jaguar's .75 and total absence of horizontal recoil. The Orion is inferior to the MSW-R. The Eridani flatly loses to the Cyclone, etc etc.

It's not that the VS doesn't have some ok weapons, it's that they are still typically overshadowed than what's available to TR and NC.
  7. Imp C Bravo

Er.. if I am not mistaken (and I don't think I am) TR has better "horizontal recoil" (ie..bloom) than VS does per bullet. It only feels like more because more bullets are getting put out faster....
  8. JudgeNu

1/10 would not read again. Good try.
  9. AlterEgo

I'd rather not step into that kind of territory with the Carbines/ARs. I'd much prefer more accuracy or less recoil/cone of fire; that way, we don't intrude on the damage per bullet trait for NC, and the damage per mag trait for TR, while emphasizing on the VS philosophy on making shots hit the enemy. Also, how the weapons look made me laugh... I see LMGs in a whole new light now:(
  10. TowerOfGlower

I have no idea why OP thinks VS weapons suck. I mean, just watch these two guys. They are always cutting through people with VS weapons like butter. Keep watching their killboard and you will see what I mean.

https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428034441430864945
    https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428392193627394513

And, check out this guy. Joined on Dec 19th and already BR 49. Look at his killboard how he is just cutting down NC and TR without any resistance with a Solstice VE3.

https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428417575376072897

I suggest OP friend these guys and learn from them. Meanwhile, I'll go back to using my NS weapons because they are significantly better than the NC weapons (except EM1, and the SMGs).
  11. Codex561

Relax mate. With Higby gone and DBG in charge, VS is starting to catch up. Give it time.
  12. Braneman

OK so VS weapons:
    Engi/LA: Use the Serpent, slap an advanced laser sight on that sucker and revel as you shred heavy assaults and laugh at their pathetic shields with your insane ROF. If its too inaccurate consider picking up a VX6-7.

Medic: Medic is a bit of an odd duck either pick up the H-V45 or use one of the SMG's, Sirius SX12 for hipfire and Eridani for ADS

Heavy Assault: VS actually has some interesting options here because both the Orion and the Polaris have really decent hipfire with a laser sight in close range, and the SVA-88 is a great all rounder gun, start off with the default overshield and get as much nanoweave as possible. Avoid the Ursa and possibly the Flare as their low rate of fire high damage types aren't fantastic for newer players.

Infiltrator: Nothing hugely special here, personally I like either any SMG with a laser sight or a NS revolver and a stalker cloak.

Max suits: This one is a bit weird but the Blueshifts are INSANE and are actually crazy accurate for max weapons, use them, or if you find yourself up in CQC a lot pick up a set of Nebulas as they will shred infantry. Try and use either the kinetic armor of the explosive armor and only use the self repairer when you cant find ANY engi support. If you're having trouble with other max suits put a comet and an anti infantry weapon on, the AI weapon helps you not be so vulnerable and the comet will seriously damage other max suits.

General tips:

ALWAYS USE NANOWEAVE ARMOR, even the first rank is worth wile as it makes you take an extra bullet to kill, which doesn't sound like much but the entire game is balanced around taking one more bullet to kill, in fact the entire difference between most guns of a certain type generally isn't more than about 2 bullets to kill.

Try and learn the ranges where you can hipfire because that will keep you alive when ADS'ing will make you an easy target, in particular the NS-7 PDW can hipfire out to about 30m with a laser sight if you burst fire it.

Never ADS with any of the faction pistols, save that for the NS revolves an even then only when you think you can get away with it. If you're at a range where you think you should ADS with a VS pistol you either need to get closer or use a different gun.

Abuse the item trial system to get a feel of guns before you buy them, use VR training to pick out guns you think you'll like.

Turn off mouse acceleration and fiddle with your mouse settings a bit, mouse acceleration will kill your accuracy and you should find a comfortable mouse sensitivity where you can easily track people when they're moving.

CHECK YOUR FPS, press ALT-F to bring up your FPS meter and adjust your graphics settings accordingly, if your game is running at 20 fps and the server is simulating at 60 2/3 of the time according to the server you aint doin nothing and other people can get their shots in easier.