[Vehicle] Does the Harasser's resistance to AP shells need adjusting?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Aksron, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Savadrin

I think I was squadded up with Hader the other day running a rasser, though I can't remember if or how much he gunned for me. Ask him if he remembers the suicidal FayleBoat ;)

I just got in with the guys in Electro, so I don't know them all that well yet, few more than others.

Also - I'm still on the stealth train because of the ambush and escape potential. There certainly are times where I wish I ran mineguard, but for most engagements I've either learned to make better approach/exit decisions or gotten REALLY lucky with avoiding pizza recently.
  2. oberchingus

I once managed to swindle rguitar into pulling harassers. He and Augr gave it a go once. But I only know of once.

Stealth is great, but it's non-rendering mines or lockons that get me when I use it. And on Emerald, there are more lockons than anything else so, I just do a lot of duck and cover tactics or I avoid bases entirely and just sit back and duck hunt. Depends really. I love dueling harassers, so comp armor comes out when that happens. Or mineguard, cause you know...minetraps!
  3. Savadrin

Most of the guys like prowlers, but I can usually find a gunner with them and I just run scout or bait for the MBTs. Or pull a rep bus to park somewhere with some AA depending on the fight.

Occasionally we get a couple rassers going.

Running a little bit with 7th Cavalry's PS2 group as they're just getting into the game and I'm trying to lure them into harassing as well.

The rest of the time I use my stealth as a suicide harasser to troll armor heavy fights. On some level, no matter how many times I do it, they expect my jeep to peel off at the last second, not crash into them and explode. It's a waste of resources but honestly, who cares. I find it hilarious, especially when I manage to get the second MBT on foot with my other two bricks of c4 running utility pouch.

edit: God how did I forget to whine about ground lock range and damage v harassers.

NERF GROUND LOCKS OP
  4. JohnGalt36

Are you suggesting that armor-piercing tank shells wouldn't disable something like a Jeep Wrangler? I'm pretty sure that's the implication here. If so... I just can't.
  5. Reclaimer77

*Thread Translation*

Nothing in the game should kill my tank. RAAWRRR tank!!!
    • Up x 2
  6. Savadrin

Man if it goes through the soft top and out the back windshield, what's to disable?
  7. Juunro

A 2/2 MBT, any of them, turns Harassers in single combat into scrap metal provided the tankers aren't brain dead.

The real issue here is the cost of Lightnings- for what you get they are far too expensive and with AP you have little chance in taking on a Harasser with one unless the aformetioned dune buggy is crewed by idiots. Lightnings are a walking cert pinata for most Harasser crews, which is silly given how much more points those light tanks are.
    • Up x 2
  8. Juunro

Well, for one thing it would turn anyone inside it into flying chunks of meat due to the shockwave of it passing.
    • Up x 1
  9. Crayv

HA lockons do a ton of damage to Harassers. In fact they are about as durable as an ESF against them.

Also why does everyone get caught up on "It's a buggy it shouldn't be that durable"? So what. We have an aircraft that can eat tank shells better than anything else in this game.

Also I am perfectly fine with lowering the cost of the Lightning.
  10. Savadrin

Agreed. The lightning should cost probably 250, so there are more of them for us to kill. I've pulled maybe 4 in my life and every time I'm thinking, 350 nanites for this garbage?
  11. JohnGalt36

The driver's face. Any gun mounted on the back. We're talking about a tiny "window" of minimum damage. If the shell touches any part of the chassis, drive train, wheels, engine, weapon, or passenger, it would be catastrophic.
    • Up x 1
  12. Savadrin

lol I was just ******* with you guys :D
    • Up x 1
  13. oberchingus

Like this?

• Up x 1
  14. JohnGalt36

I think the Harasser should either be higher risk or lower reward. Right now, it seems like medium risk and high reward, especially given the nanite cost.

Not that I care about balance any more. This forum has helped me accept the fact that I'm better off staying at render distance from fights and farming rather than trying to contribute to fights. I just won't go anywhere near infantry who can instakill me to help kill enemy sunderers or close enough to get flanked by a harasser. Back to the edge of the map or an inaccessible spot to a harasser and far enough away that there won't be infantry.
  15. Savadrin

The only higher risk vehicle than a harasser is a flash. Seriously, spend some time driving one ;)

A guy in my outfit has a lightning loadout that he calls the panzerjaeger. I watched him take two Maggies with a lightning, 2v1. He died right afterwards, but still managed to do it. So now Lightning OP?
  16. Aksron

Actually not at all, as I said I don't really have a main vehicle, I've just been dabbling in them all trying to find one I really want to invest. So far my most vetted vehicle is my halbred harasser, followed by either my flash or vanguard.

It just seemed odd to me that a 150 nanite vehicle, essentially the esf of the ground could take more ap hits than a tank in some cases when the tank is over double the cost. What it boils down to for me apparently is my accuracy simply isn't good enough yet, as landing 2-3 shots in a row on a competent harasser just isn't happening. One of the reasons I started working on the flash (and enjoy it so) is that I no longer fear harassers, where as I do in every other vehicle (my own harasser included). I wanted to get the opinions of more experienced players as I know my own experience is limited.

Seems to be a case of get good based on the general consensus.
  17. oberchingus

If you weren't in my part of the map, you wouldn't have the fabulous angle to duck hunt 20 scythes, libs and gals in an hour!
    • Up x 2
  18. oberchingus

AP Lightning is fun dude! Great way to work on good tanking habits so you don't pop shield too early, or for the wrong reasons. And since you have no shield, it's a really great training tool. I've gone on some amazing and lucrative runs soloing in enemy territory with my AP Lightning. Also - now that Engagement Radar is out, Skyguards suck way less.
    • Up x 1
  19. Savadrin

It takes time to master any of the vehicles. Any of them can be terribly weak or incredibly strong in the right hands. You might fear my harasser and yet beat my prowler with a fury flash, and I'm not even kidding. I have no certs in a prowler and literally no clue wtf I am doing.

Check out Paqu on youtube and look at his rumble seat heroes set of videos. This will break conceptions about what is possible, and what is strong.

After you're done with that, find some MBT videos and watch what a good crew can do with one.

Much of this game is git gud, but people aren't lying when they say find something that suits your playstyle, i.e., something that feels good and enjoyable to run. I found the harasser, personally, but that doesn't mean that you can't do awesome things with any of the vehicles.

Also, to add: Running a jeep means you must either not care about dying, a LOT - or put a super high priority on learning how to evade and escape using line of sight/terrain, predicting when you'll be fired on, and knowing when enough is enough or whether it's good to even attempt.

Jeeps die so fast in fights it's crazy, so yes, you will have issues with us because we had to learn the hard way how not to get turned into flaming wreckage inside of 3-5 seconds of every engagement. It makes us harder to catch, because we must be.
  20. Savadrin

Pop shields? pffft I need no sissy rebel shield ;)

Just looking at the vehicle certs I want while trying not to neglect my infantry (I should have changed my avatar to engineer by now, I think I might) too badly makes me hurt. I want my VS bus back, but to keep my TR rasser.

Then again, I'm still a nublet, and I'll run out of things to cert eventually.