Best weapon for Vanu LA?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BouncyIlama, Jan 19, 2016.

1. BouncyIlama

Hi, I'm new to the game, and after a couple of hours of playing this game, I was wondering, what are the best weapons for a VS LA? Here are some I thought might be good:
    Carbines:
    VX6-7
    Serpent
    Pulsar C
    Solstice SF

SMGs:
    NS-7 PDW
    Sirius
    MKV Suppressed
    Eridani SX5

I mostly fight at 10~60/70 meters, and prefer weapons with small cones of fire and fast firing rates, I feel the pulsar C is not good for my playstyle, so I would like suggestions on things except for the Pulsar C.

Thanks in advance! ;)
  2. LUCAGRABACR

There's no best weapon in PS2 as most weapons are sidegrades and not a direct upgrade of any other weapon, they are purely situational.

As for your playstyle, you can try the Zenith. It has a fast firing rate, but not as fast as the Serpent and is more controllable and has better ads movement speed compared to other carbines.
    • Up x 1
  3. BouncyIlama

Ok, I'll look into it.
  4. Eternaloptimist

Well now, it all depends on your chosen playstyle, preferred combat situations, accuracy etc.etc. (you mentiond range already). Personally I have found that the default Solstice is a pretty good all-round carbine at various ranges but I have now gone onto the VX6-7 for CQC as it has (for me) the best combination of higher rate of fire and accuracy/controlability. But the Solstice Burst should get an honourable mention too. It is crazy accurate at long range as well as closer. I switch between this one and the VX6-7 depending on whether I find myself in a long range or short range fight. I ignored the Solstice SF as it has a slower rof than the other Solstice variants and I found the under barrel launcher to be not worth the sacrifice.I think Pulsar C is better for longer range but I've never used it - low rof - although several forum posters have said it is a great weapon. I bought an SMG once (NS7 PDW) and I've not used it since, though I am thinking of putting in more time as an infiltrator - I much prefer carbines to SMGs
  5. BouncyIlama

Well for preferred combat situations, I like roof to ground or cliff/bridge to ground combat as a light assault, not a fan of room to room combat. I thought an SMG would be better for my kind of playstyle, or is a carbine better? (I also quite like the way the NS7 looks when it reloads)
  6. Eternaloptimist

I'm not an expert (as haven't used SMGs) but I think SMG hitting power reduces quite quickly compared to at least some of the carbines, as the range you are shooting at increases. In the situations you've described I would have thought that a carbine would serve you better. My experience of rooftops and cliffs is that they can give you quite a long field of view so enemies you might want to attack are not always real close. But it is worth trying them both out in VR training. I reckon you could simulate some shooting from higher up scenarios in there.
  7. BouncyIlama

I tried them in VR, and some of the carbines are actually less accurate at long ranges than SMGs strangely... Also, it seems the SMG's (MKV Suppressed) cone of fire (COF?) Is also smaller. Which carbine would you recommend for my style?
  8. Eternaloptimist

Uhm...........I'm sticking my neck out here as I really don't claim to be expert, but if it was me I'd start with the Solstice burst - more seriously accurate at longer ranges and if you spam the trigger it shoots like an auto carbine for closer range.
  9. AxiomInsanity87

Serpent

The serpent is a beast
  10. Iridar51

"Here are some I thought might be good", proceeds to list every weapon VS LA has access to :rolleyes:

Forget SMGs, trash weapon class.

As for the rest, basically any carbine can be a best weapon. You can look them all up in my carbine guide: http://planethead.info/weapons/carbines

As awkward as it may sound, the default Solstice is probably the best thing you have access to. Sure, it has less killing power than VX6-7 or Serpent, but in return it gets easy handling and fast reload. It's just such a comfortable weapon to wield. And even without laser sight, its hip fire is very manageable.

Theoretically, Pulsar C is a better weapon on many accounts, but high vertical recoil just makes it that much harder to use, whereas Solstice is a point and click adventure.
    • Up x 3
  11. current1y

Best all rounder by far is Solstice SF burst by quite a large margin since they reduced the recoil for burst weapons. It is a laser beam compared to all the other carbines. Crazy easy to use.

Second best is pulsar if you rather enjoy long range but slower rof/ higher dmg weapons and serpent if you plan to be only fight inside 15m.

[IMG]
  12. Savadrin

ERMAGERD DO NOT DO THIS.

Burn that gun as an INF. Never, ever use it. Almost made me quit SMG INFing.The PDW only works when you are out-ranging your opponent, the rate of fire is just way too slow to compete close.

If you must use NS, try the MKV Suppressed. Otherwise, get the hardest/fastest hitting SMG for your faction. Though Iridar hates it, as TR I can't help but love the Failstorm because of the 60 roung mag. With a new flash suppressor/forward grip/soft point it's actually really solid at +10m now. Not Carbine or LMG level but not spitballs anymore.

I have yet to really run with the Armistice but everyone seems to love it.

Now OP as a LA I'd certainly suggest sticking with Carbines. I Find the T5-AMC (another Iridar et al suggestion) to work excellently at decent range. I run that exclusively on my vehicle engineer if the situation doesn't call for an Archer or Battle rifle load.

Unfortunately, I can't really speak to faction Carbines all that well but I can say that Wrel escpecially, Renz0r, and Joshino all have various reviews of items, tactics, and weapons. All well worth a watch on youtube when you've got the time.
  13. Mxiter

-Tower fun: PA shotgun + blackhand
    -Close range pray'n spray: Serpent(ADS) or VX-6-7 (hipfire)
    -All rounder: Zenith(mobility)-Solstice-Solstice burst(accuracy).
    -Mid range: Pulsar C
    -Hipfire troll: SMG
    -Smoker: Solstice SF

but overall best weapon are icarus jetpack and good situational awareness since overall weapons mostly depends of situation, playstile and personal preferences.
  14. Eternaloptimist

Thanks for that and fear not, I am definitely looking at a faction specific SMG. As I plan to go TR first I have been trying out the Armistice in VR and I like it. Have got to try the Hailstorm as well..........
    • Up x 1
  15. Acceleratio

My dream LA weapon is the Eclipse (Driective Reward)
    Infite ammo as an LA is really alot of fun since it totaly supports my playstyle of flanking and not giving a damn about friendly engineers hardly ever dropping ammo.
    The underbarrel shotgun is a nice + that saved my butt quite alot of times. Auraxed it and will keep on using it
  16. Moridin6

im leaning towards the pulsar being my favorite all rounder, tap them off for distances, aim for head in close

serpent owns up close but not so good for range

i barely remember my time with the solcticessss , but i Do have a lot of kills with them..
  17. Erendil

This pretty much echoes my opinion. Read the carbine guide that Iridar linked. It's a great starting point and IMO is pretty much spot on.

For the 10-70m range, the default Solstice is actually quite good. At 698RPM it's DPS is a little low, but it's a breeze to handle.

The Zenith is a good alternative IF you use it with the compensator and Adv Foregrip. It's not quite as accurate as the Solstice but you get +25 RPM and - more importantly - a .75x moving ADS mulitplier. It will struggle a bit @70m but if you don't plan on engaging at ranges past that it's a great weapon and a slight upgrade to the Solstice.

The Solstice Burst is also great. A bit more accurate than the default when moving, in exchange for the risk of oversampling (i.e. pressing the fire button multiple times too quickly), which can cause a delay between bursts and lower your ROF slightly. It's best to try this carbine out in VR to see if you like the burst mechanic since the action of burst weapons in PS2 is a little different than full-auto and it can be a love/hate relationship.

The VX6-7 and Serpent are close range weapons. Their effective range is <50m for most people, even w/ a foregrip. So I don't think they'll serve your needs. That said, they're both great CQC weapons. I give the edge to the VX6-7 due to faster reloads, tighter hipfire, and being more controllable/forgiving due to its slightly slower ROF. The Serpent is like a wild stallion: Quite powerful but tough to control and it can easily get away from you if you're not careful.

IMO the Solstice SF is a waste of time. It 's a downgraded Solstice in exchange for a next-to-worthless grenade launcher. Unless you really like throwing smoke around, don't bother.
  18. TheFlamingLemon

What I do is grab icarus jets and a VX6-7 with ALS. Then, in close range, you can fly above people and aim down and they won't be able to headshot you nor will they expect you to do that.

For 10-60m, I recomend the Solstice SF or just the default solstice. You should definitely try to work your way to the eclipse (carbines directive.)
  19. Gustavo M

Any weapon is the "best"; as long as you can aim at heads.
    But then again, that NS-shotgun whateveritsnamewas does quite nicely as a "quasi"-BR, with slugs. If you can lead shots and click on heads, it's pretty much the best weapon in the game.
  20. Reclaimer77

Pulsar C. Hands down. And anyone saying otherwise just doesn't know what they are saying.