Replace CPU or GPU first?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Okjoek, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Okjoek

I feel like this is a very CPU demanding game so despite both of the parts being somewhat lacking for this game I'm only going to replace one for the time being. My computer handles most Esports games pretty well, but this game is just too much for the aging technology. My wager is to replace my CPU first.

This setup currently will only run minimum graphics at 20-30 FPS. If I could manage 50+ FPS on minimum graphics I would be happy for now. Right now I'm looking at replacing the CPU with an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T so I don't have to replace the Motherboard.

HP compaq 6005 Pro small form factor is what it started out as.
    Processor: AMD Athlon™ II X2 B28 3.40GHz.
    Socket AM3
    RAM: 12GB ddr3 (upgraded from 8GB)
    HDD: 500GB
    GPU: EVGA Nvidia GT 740sc (Upgraded from onboard)
    PSU: 240W + 450W(powers GPU)
  2. Gundem

I'd say CPU, but the problem is you have an AMD CPU, which means you are getting very low CPU power.

But to swap to Intel you'd need a new MOBO as well, which already brings you in the 300-350$+ range for replacements.

Even still, your GPU could definitely use an upgrade as well. If price is absolutely critical, OC your CPU and upgrade your GPU.

My GPU is the GTX 660 and I can run the game on near ultra with 100FPS. You can find GTX 660/660 Ti's for sale for around 100$ used sometimes.
  3. Imp C Bravo

Do the SCU first m8. I want to spawn!
  4. Iridar51

Both are crap, but swap CPU first.
    • Up x 1
  5. CorporationUSA

I have the same card. It fluctuates quite a bit between 60 and 100. It's playable, but I prefer to set it to low and cap it at 90 to make it more stable.
  6. FieldMarshall

I would suggest the CPU.

You can lower your graphical settings to get good fps with a good CPU and bad GPU.
    But if you have a godlike GPU and a bad CPU, you are still going to get bad fps no matter how low your settings are.
    At least for Planetside 2.
  7. Towie

First - not good news i'm afraid.

Planetside is very CPU intensive and unfortunately, your CPU is poor. Due to it being a 'business' biased machine, it will be difficult to find out what if any faster processors are actually supported.

BUT - if you are happy with the performance on low graphics settings, then upgrading the gfx will certainly allow more eye candy at the same 50+ FPS. This would be the easiest and cheapest way to go until you save up enough for a whole new rig...
  8. Ragnarox

This game is terrible, even high end PC struggle with this garbage engine. Consider that with every new update your average fps goes down by 5%.
  9. Okjoek

Actually I think I am a bit stuck. I don't think the PSU can take a better processor. *fart noise* Well I guess I'm kinda stuck as far as being able to polish this turd.

I'm going to have to probably make a new machine from scratch if I want to upgrade.
    • Up x 1
  10. AxiomInsanity87

CPU, GPU after.

Better CPU will improve performance which will tie you over until you get a better GPU to make it look pretty.
  11. FunBotan

My CPU is below PS2 minimum system reqs and still i play on high/ultra graphics with GPU bound lol.
    It's intel ofc.
  12. Savadrin

You can get a new AMD mobo/CPU combo for under $200 US and it will run the game on ultra.

You can get an R9 380X for $200 or less later.

With a six core AMD FX at 95w (I have two of them) you aren't sucked into the fire-breathing overpriced intel pigeonhole, and your PS can be lower.
  13. Taemien

Take this from someone who has historically touted the benefits of AMD over Intel...

Don't do it. Go Intel.

Right now Intel's got the edge over AMD. To get the same performance in PS2 from a midrange Intel, you've got to go crazy with the AMD. AMD is going to draw more power as well as any Radeon card. Your 450W PSU isn't going to handle that well either.

Here's my recommendation. Stick with what you got. Budget your income to save for a new computer. Get about 1500-1800 bucks and splurge on a future proofed system. Get a intil i5 or i7 with over 3.7ghz, and get a Nvidia 900something (preferbly 970 or higher). And play everything on max settings* with smooth framerates for the next 5 years.

* @1080p. Going 4k is a different discussion entirely.

With that said.. if you need something now.. you have a AM3 socket right? I'd go with a Phenom II X4 if they still have them. They're pretty cheap and reliable CPUs. Six cores is going to overkill it. Only benefit of a X6 over X4 is you can multibox MMORPGs better.
    • Up x 1
  14. Okjoek

So I've done some talking with my brother and he did some research and believes he may have found my low budget solution. Keep in mind that he knows that AMD are inferior to Intel, but this build can't be beat in price performance. He started out with a budget of 350 dollars and looked up the cheapest AM3+ Motherboard that accomadated 4 RAM slots. He then found the cheapest Processor under 100 dollars. He then spent a long time researching both AMD and Nvidia cards and here is the setup that he found:

CPU: AMD FX6300 ($99)
    Motherboard: Cheap Gigabyte AM3+ ($47)
    Case: XION mATX case ($23)
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7970 (on Ebay for $150)

He plans to recycle from previous computer a 650W thermaltake 80+ bronze power supply and the 12 GB of RAM from my current build. He's recycling a HDD as well. He believes this would be the best build for a 350 dollar budget.
    • Up x 1
  15. AxiomInsanity87

I've briefly exchanged pov over Intel and AMD with you. I'm glad you've seen the light.

The Irony - i play ps2 on ps4 now which is AMD lol.

I call that a draw lol.
  16. Taemien

I still maintain that the earlier AMDs (2010'ish) were better, for some reason the quality went down. But this isn't the first time its happened. Sometimes AMD is better, sometimes Intel is better. I learned that in college 15 years ago.

Right now Intel's got the best stuff. And Nvidia's 900 series just can't be beat. I mean a little offtopic but no ATI GPU will do 4k at higher than 30fps due to the HDMI interface. Even their current R9s. Who does that?
    • Up x 1
  17. omfgweeee

What is your CPU. I have 660ti and have no problem in figts until gets 96+ then i go to 40 FPS.

My CPU is not bad but far from the best (i5-3570) and i was wondering how much new CPU will improve my FPS.
  18. orangejedi829

Simply press ALT+F ingame, and look in the bottom left corner of the screen. It will show your FPS, and either "[CPU]" or "[GPU]". This is telling you what the limiting factor to the current framerate is. If it says [CPU] most of the time, then your CPU should be first priority for replacement. Vice versa for [GPU].

Another test you can do is to compare the framerate between graphics settings. If you get a similar FPS on Medium settings as you do on Low settings, it likely means that your GPU is not the limiting factor. If you do see a significant drop in FPS when increasing graphics settings, your GPU is probably struggling with running the game, not your CPU (necessarily).

Finally, to weigh in on the Intel vs. AMD argument, Intel CPUs are better than AMD's offerings in every way right now. AMD used to have better performance per dollar, but Intel has even taken that crown. A $70 dual-core Intel Pentium CPU will perform on par with AMD's biggest and most expensive '8-core' CPUs ($250+) in gaming (and most other tasks) because the actual single-thread performance of Intel's chip is double what AMD's can do. The fact that it can be had for 1/3rd of the price is just a nail in the coffin.
  19. omfgweeee

i really would appreciate a reply on my question.
  20. CorporationUSA

I have the same CPU as you. I think it drops down to under 50 in big fights too, but I haven't played on high settings in a very long time so I don't remember.