LIBERATOR CAMERA (Suggestion)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by cheesepuffs324, Jan 14, 2016.

1. cheesepuffs324

I think that in maybe the upper right hand corner of the screen, or just somewhere on screen doesn't have to be there, when piloting a liberator you should have a live camera feed that displays your belly gunner's view, so that you can make sure you are on target rather than just making an educated guess by sticking your nose up and hoping you're giving your gunner a good angle. I just think that would be pretty cool.
  2. Jamuro

Solo Lib crutch cam ... hell no.
    • Up x 1
  3. Imp C Bravo

I don't think Libs need this. No point in lowering their skill ceiling and making it easier for scrubs. One of the things that separates skilled pilots from wannabes is their ability to figure out their angles without cameras.
    • Up x 2
  4. cheesepuffs324

Ok well first of all, imp C Bravo it is not hard to hover over a sundee and let your belly gunner rip it apart, so let's just get that perfectly clear. Second of all, planetside has a steep learning curve as it is. One of the steepest in any game out there. That is a big part of why the playerbase is shrinking and not growing. I started playing this game and trying it out with 6 other friends, a year later I am the only one who is still playing every week. Making something a bit easier, and not even since like I stated above, it does not take skill to hover over a target, this would make flying a lib more understandable and the transition would not be as daunting or hard for the new player. There are many other situations with many other vehicles where this is true, but I'm not going to get into that since that is not why I made this thread. I made this thread to talk about a cool idea that while not effecting the amount of skill needed, would be a cool feature and would make the transition from confusion to understanding a bit less gigantic.
  5. cheesepuffs324

Also, wannabees? are you kidding me? It is a game kiddo not an olympic sport or being the "cool kid" in school. Get over yourself.
  6. bLind db

So you're saying that because it's a game there shouldn't be any skill required to do anything?

I see why you fly libs.
  7. Imp C Bravo

Yes wannabees. People who aren't very good pilots can't have a positive effect on the battlefield. That is one of the major balance checks on Libs. Wannabees get shot down until they become good. If Libs had anything like this that allowed

1.) Mediocre pilots to be able to kill on a medium sized or larger fight
    or
    2.)Solo lib super effing easy

then we would have Lib spam. Fight getting tough? 15 libs all of a sudden. Which would create AA spam. Which would let tanks run ramshod over everything as there isn't enough AV to handle it. (And thereby increase tank spam.)

Furthermore, libs are one of the most dangerous ground killers in the game. They HAVE to be difficult to use, and HAVE to have a second or more gunner to reach viability or we will have lib spam. See above. The most dangerous ground killer in the game does not need anything to make it do that way easier. If you want that, then I can tell you that you don't need it. Learn your lib better. Learn your angles better. You'll find you don't need it and you'll have become a better pilot (able to stay alive and make an impact on larger and larger battles.)

It's not speaking from some social pov. I'm speaking from a practical standpoint.

Get over yourself

Is it hard to hover over something? No? Then libs don't need a cam if this is the case.

Is it hard to give your gunner shots while dodging ESFs, Flak, rockets, and the odd tank/secondary round? Yes it is.

So look, I understand your point about it all being easier to transition to and play. You know what? Fair point. I'll concede that. Maybe we would have higher player retention if it was easier to break into certain specialized roles. I don't think that this would make Libs any easier to operate in major fights where they are NEEDED. It will just make Libs easier to operate in tiny fights where they have almost no chance of dieing already. That's kind of my point. This change would just make small farming easy while not helping large fight efficacy (where libs pretty much can't go) at all. I think anyway.

Also,

Hey...I fly libs buddy. There is a difference between a guy looking for an easy ground farm and an actual combat pilot. I know that most people don't know the difference but we do exist.
  8. Jamuro

The main issue here is that something like that completly negates to slightly longer seat swap time the lib got.
    Basically we would return to the state we were a year or so ago ... solo Lib heaven ... and trust me noone wants that.

That said ... if the cam only works while a gunner is in it and has at least some range restrictions ... like give it the range of the thermal optics then i wouldn't mind to much.

But in all honesty the Liberator doesn't realy need any such buffs ... it's ridicolous to fight one with a decent dalton gunner right now and with that cam it would probably get even worse.

Also given the cert costs of a Liberator the whole new players need it doesn't fly ... something that needs at the very least 4-6k certs is not something that needs to be tailored towards new pilots.
  9. Pikachu

Has been suggested since long time ago.
  10. Eternaloptimist

Bold statement here......is it fact or speculation? Sorry, it's just that I read lots of posts making claims like this, or others like the game is broken or its dying or whatever. It devalues an argument in my eyes.

Allowing a pilot to effectively aims the gunners turret does seem like making things too easy tbh. Thats why turrets can swivel and rotate.
  11. Gundem

All that very interesting and intellectually stimulating discussion aside(Kappa), I think a Gunner camera would be really cool, actually, but I'd definitely have to put a heavy price on it.

Perhaps it could be a Utility slot alternative? Having no AB/FS would be a pretty steep disadvantage.
  12. cheesepuffs324

You make some very good points, however I think that the overall idea is there, and the ideas suggested so far in comments would make it less "OP" for solo libs or whatever. For example, as said in the previous comments the camera could only work when there is a gunner in the seat, also, it could be a utility and therefore only be used by people that feel they need it, until they outgrow it and start using afterburner or whatever.

However, I do feel the need to apologize to you as I think that I came on a bit to strongly, probably shouldn't have said "get over yourself". Good day to you brotato. but bLind db, you are an idiot. That is all.
  13. 1Tap2Tap

Yeah, I wanted to suggest the same.

I am neutral on this topic, but to stop solo Liberator pilots from abusing the camera:

Simply deactivate the cam if the gun slot is not occupied.

Easy. ;)
  14. Gundem

bLind is one of those generic, toxic, anti-shotgun anti-air anti-vehicle players who really just want's CoDside 2.
  15. CipherNine

I think that camera showing other player POV would be a great addition:

- It would improve squad coordination as you could keep an eye on what your squad leader is doing
    - Pilots could assist ground units at the right moment, it would be perfect for calling in airstrikes
  16. KaletheQuick

Yes there IS a point to lowering the skill ceiling. Letting new players into the game. It takes hours to train people up in this game, and that's when they have a dedicated teacher.
    • Up x 1
  17. Cyrek

Using 3rd person camera all the time = Skillful
  18. Imp C Bravo

When you guys put all that together -- yeah maybe I could see it working out without being OP. I wouldn't try to Post-shout it down with those kind of restrictions as working only when a gunner is in the seat and taking the place of FS/AB combined is a pretty steep operational price that does kind of prevent solo use. So, meh, I could see it working.

However, honestly I still kind of feel the same as this guy:
    I am one of the top Lib pilots on Genudine. If I had access to that with a good gunner (no longer needing a mini map or my intuition on vehicle direction changes anymore, seeing dumbfires coming at me and dodging them, etc...) my Lib's effectiveness would skyrocket. Even with the above limitations -- Me being able to compensate for what my gunner is doing and make his shots even easier?

I honestly fear that we are just ASKING for Libs to be at a point where they get a nerf in some other area (most likely health/resistances) in exchange for their increased effective damage output. Then we REALLY won't be able to participate in larger fights. (at least with the current AA system.)

So while I must admit that with the ideas and stipulations y'all put down it sounds really quite reasonable -- I think we lib pilots might be setting ourselves up for a massive durability nerf which would have ESFs, Any AA, etc running ramshod all over us in the near future :( This is, however, just one possibility I can imagine (worst case scenario.) I could be totally wrong about it and it might be a great change. I just wanted y'all to consider that possibility.

It's all good m8.

You are confusing the Skill Ceiling with the Skill Floor. Lowering the skill floor (lowest level of skill needed to be able to function) would help people transition into a niche easier. This is good or bad depending on the mechanics of the thing being changed. Lowering the skill ceiling (which I feel this change would do -- albeit to be fair less so with some of the restriction suggestions) is never a good thing.

An example of a game with an extremely low skill floor and an extremely high skill ceiling would be Rocket League. The difference in what a player can achieve through the same mechanics is massive. That is why it is such a great game.
  19. thed1rt

********. This is the future man. You think in the future their wouldnt be a belly gun and tailgun cam? So the pilot could quick look and know whats up. ITS THE FUTURE BRO.
  20. Jamuro

Ok where are my wingmounted nukes then?
    I want to kill everything in a hex with one launched bomb ... pretty please?