What goes through your head when you read this?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AxiomInsanity87, Jan 13, 2016.

1. CorporationUSA

That the person saying that is biased against HAs.
  2. TheFlamingLemon

They should have the role changed to something that helps the team push enemy positions. It should get a shield like the NC Max's Aegis shield and the non-vanu factions' heavy guns should be made to be like the lasher in that they specialize in suppression. Then, the heavy gun should be made to replace the rocket launcher instead of the primary. Lastly, a deployable field like the medic's that suppresses explosives by a certain amount each rank could also be a good idea (grenade spam in large fights is becoming a big thing.) Also, I'm sure you guys can think of some neat things.
  3. Iridar51

That's 100% correct truth. As somebody who has Shuriken + 2 SMG auraxiums, I have to agree that SMGs are pretty much crap weapon class. They lose A LOT of effective range and damage output and magazine size just to get that best hip fire accuracy.

Having good hip fire accuracy is a huge bonus, but it still requires you to actaully aim properly and low damage output and limited magazine size force you to go for headshots to come out a winner.

SMGs are optimal within ~20m, but very meh past that. It's still easier to get into SMG effective range than into shotgun effective range, but that still doesn't make them better or easier to play with than any carbine / AR / LMG. Infils are kinda stuck with that weapon class, but to anyone else I would not recommend using SMGs for actual combat.
    • Up x 1
  4. orangejedi829

SMG Infil is cake.
    If you really wanna be an MLG1337pR0, do your CQC infil'ing with a BASR.
    I've been giving it a shot recently and it's actually quite exhilarating, even though I generally suck at it. But people certainly won't accuse you of using a 'skill-less' tactic.
  5. CipherNine

I take it that by "endgame" in Planetside you mean game that is not focused on maximizing XP/hour but capturing continents.

In that case my point still stands: "The Kill" is still major part of the game, strategy is only about clicking to spawn wherever your platoon leader wants your squad to go. Just because you kill people because you want to capture a continent doesn't make it any deeper than if you kill them for XP. The depth of gameplay mechanics in both cases is more or less the same.

I doubt there is. Instead of simply giving one or two examples of how this strategic aspect is present in your gameplay you went for the typical "gotta find the magic unicorn yourself. gl"

It is theoretically impossible for this game to have strategic aspect. There are only 2 things under your control: redeploy and movement/fighting/combat mechanics. As far as redeploy is concerned you simply follow your platoon leaders orders, you don't make your own strategy. Movement/combat mechancis is under your control but falls under "The Kill" not strategy.

It is evidently false that this game has any deeper strategy as far as non-platoon leaders are concerned(although I'd speculate even PL decision making process isn't particularly complex neither). It seem what players like you love about this game is not the actual strategy but the appearance of strategy.
  6. The Hat

Bacon rolls, i must have some bacon rolls, now
    • Up x 1
  7. Nalothisal

I agree with this statement. I also still think Heavys shouldn't have access to SMG's period. I mean common man, that is just wrong.
  8. Taemien

I don't have the time nor the desire to sit down and explain the intricacies of strategy as it works in Planetside 2. If what you want to do is cert farm and then quit when you've farmed everything or try to see how high you can get a KDR, by all means farm it up. There's nothing wrong with that, that's your playstyle, not mine. Its just like the non-raider in a MMORPG who doesn't see the point to raiding. Can't convince them otherwise, no reason to bother.

All you have to understand is this:

1. If you want to win by getting the kill. Use a Heavy Assault.
    2. If you want to win a VP, Alert, or Continent. Use everything else.
  9. customer548

MMORPGs provide endgame content. New aeras, new content which are restricted to groups/raids only.

Strategy in Ps2 is what you want it to be. But turning around on a continent map in a non persistant worl is not "strategy".
    Eve Online brings strategy because of ressources, trade, politics and territories in a persistent world.

Being attracted by locking continents is a goal among others. But it's not the core of the game, i guess.
  10. AxiomInsanity87

Hehe

I kind of agree with that

SMG's are far too accurate in cqc to be giving to a HA

We wouldn't allow infi's to have shotgun right?
  11. AxiomInsanity87

SMG's are optimal in them conditions so naturally a player will stay in them conditions.

They lack if someone is dumb enough to use them outside of their optimal ranges.

And this game allows anyone to stay in whatever their comfort zone is with whatever they want.
  12. AxiomInsanity87

Damn i thought this was going to be lols

What have i started lol.
  13. Taemien

I think the issue many have with the game is they haven't been with a close knit group. Frequently CipherNine has said that strategy is deploy whereever your PL says to. That tells me his experience with squads and platoons are the cat herding open platoons, That's a damn shame if that's actually true.

I've been fortunate to run with such outfits like Recursion, Hav0c, Quality Over Quantity, Foxhound, Inglorious Bursters, and many others on Connery either as part of the Outfit or in the off chance they do have an open platoon. Your experience WILL of course vary from leader to leader. But when you get a good one, the game gets quite a bit different.

Sometimes its just fun. Like the Harasser runs that QoQ and BURT do. Or more serious like 00, v0c, and FXHD, where you problem solve for the 'zerg' and drop in to take a point they couldn't take on their own, then hold it till the timer runs down. There's various ways to play the game. There's dozens of ways to take a continent. Its not always about zerging. Sometimes you want to push hard in one line, to feint and hit them in a weaker one.

That's strategy. You need supply lines, resources, and so on. You don't have those in Chess or other boardgames. Yet there's a strategy to the games. Just like in PS2.

But that's not everyone's forte. And there's nothing wrong with that. Some people just like killing. Simple as that. For those, they have the heavy. For everyone else.. there's the other classes. The problem is that they want the other classes to be good in their style of playing the game. And I really don't give two craps about the heavy being in mine or not.

I just don't want to hear them b-tch about medics or whatever next class is perceived as OP. Because as we all know. After today's patch. That's coming. Just leave my useful classes alone. If forumside agrees to do that.. I'll get on board with deleting the heavy. Give it a combined health of hp, shield, and overshield to be 300hp. Access to only 30s TTK weapons. And rockets that shoot confetti. I really don't care. Just leave the other classes alone.
    • Up x 1
  14. Iridar51

Such nonsence. Or did I miss a magical button that teleports me within 20m of any enemy I want?
  15. AxiomInsanity87

So you are forced to play the smg in conditions that are unfavourable for it?
  16. Iridar51

As a Light Assault - this happens sometimes, yes. Maybe it's different for SMG infiltrators, but I would bet they still have those moments.
  17. AxiomInsanity87

I understand now hehe

#justLAthings

SMG infi is all about picking and choosing engagements so it's a non issue. That is unless someone chooses to use the SMG instead of a scout rifle or sniper for med-long range (but who does that?). All classes pick and choose engagements but the cloak and scans makes the SMG infi the apex predator. Knowing where the enemy are at any given moment is priceless and due to latency, can uncloak and nearly kill before someone even knows they're getting shot. I know latency affects everything but it's a different story when you don't know your attacker is even there.

Stalker cloak takes a lot more skill though I reckon. There's probably plenty who think Stalker cloak is easy though lol @commish.
    • Up x 1
  18. SpartanPsycho

So there this thing called a heavy shield, and when you have it on you can take damage, and when you have a squad of heavies pushing into a point, other infantry can follow them.

Screamingrusher has already suggested a Ballistic Shield. Until there's suppression effect suppression is pointless.
    Wait, so instead of letting the heavies have a shield that covers allies, give them a deploy able, since their the pushing class and a deployable doesn't indicate sitting in one place in any way.

I think you have a problem with the heavy because you aren't playing intelligently, IE, negating his advantages.
  19. SpartanPsycho

So what do you consider hard to do?
  20. AxiomInsanity87

I would love a ballistic shield for the HA and being able to use a pistol with it

I'd use the HA far more often.