Why the Vanu Long Range Assault Rifles are terrible and need Fixed ASAP!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nejisaurus, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Nejisaurus

More specifically the Corvus and CME.

Lets start with the CME.
    It goes without saying that the CME is a direct carbon copy of the NS11A with 5 less bullets/mag and 0.75 ADS movement modifier. There is NO reason to pick the CME over the NS11-A. If you use the CME, you are downgrading yourself in all short-mid-long range encounters. It's a mess.

But you say " But the CME has lower CoF bloom and ADS!?"
    I call bullshi1t because it only applies to when you are standing still. And who the F stands still and shoots? Want a death sentence? See how long you'll survive. You might as well wave and yell to the enemy "HEY! Shoot ME! I'm the easiest target!"

The Corvus.

I'm going to keep this short and sweet, then bitter.
    -The corvus has one of the best ADS CoF bloom standing still.
    -This gun has the worst ADS CoF bloom per bullet and ADS while moving of all the Vanu ARs.

How is this intentional? Are we to sacrifice and high rate of fire AND subject ourselves to sniper level standstill shooting in order to use these weapons? I mean, might as well change your role to Infiltrator. Because at its current state, you are just a gimped, uncloakable medic looking to fill in the role of an infiltrator sniper.

Fix these or remove them from the game.
  2. FateJH

I've found that ducking ("crouching") in and out of cover in between bursts of fire works well in certain situations where you need to hold the line. Radar support is recommended to mitigate the blindness penalty of waiting behind cover.
  3. Campagne

*Cough* Gauss SAW *cough*
    • Up x 2
  4. Mxiter

VS long range ARs arn't bad; very controlstable and accurate at the cost of firepower.
    What makes it feel bad is them bland mechanism: it mostly requires sustain aiming skills while other weapons requires mostly recoil and burst management.
  5. Ronin Oni

Yeah but you get 200dmg rounds on a 200 round belt for your trouble.

Still a TERRIBLE starter LMG, but it's a great weapon to have in ones aresenal
    • Up x 1
  6. Campagne

Yeah. It's a great, fun weapon once you get used to it.

I just wish it wasn't so inaccurate, though.
  7. Littleman

The Corvus blooms no faster than any other 167 weapon...

The trick to both the CME and the Corvus is that they don't really need a grip or compensator to function as well as most weapons do with a fore-grip and compensator.

Also, depending on the range, standing still provides a greater advantage than that $#!%%& little .5x ADS dance people do. They might avoid a sniper round... if they're not predictably dancing back and forth over the same point (most do.) Utilizing cover > ADS ADADAD in the open at any rate. While anywhere you stand COULD have a sight line to a sniper perch, most snipers are unforgivably lazy players, so a good player can figure out where a majority of them will be firing from, and set up to avoid line of sight while maximizing their own cover against threats from other directions.
  8. nehylen

You're looking at this the wrong way, OP.

The CME has issues yes. The first among them? The NS-11A is overpowered, contrary to the NS-11C or to the NS-15M (which is almost overpowered, but kept in check by its 625rpm).
    The NS-11A has about about all advantages a gun may get except "advanced" attachments: tighter CoF, stock hipfire rivaling CQC ARs, very high velocity, and the .75ads.
    It's a gun that makes no compromises, with the exception of the 652rpm...except 652rpm is a valid RoF for non-NS, which is why it's overpowered. Since it's available to everyone, no one complains about it, but it screws AR balance over, especially VS (because CME+Equinox). In a similar fashion, there's little reason to favour the Bull over the NS-15M (a litte more since last fall).

The only advantage of the CME is lower vertical recoil, notably first shot. The CME needs 3 things in total:

- a NS-11A nerf ( ~600m/s stock velocity, 625rpm, and we're done)
    - un-nerf its stock horizontal recoil from 0.22 (which is like the Orion or TR default 750x143 guns) to 0.2, or even 0.18, which seems to be a new value used by DBG for some LMGs, and would be perfect for the CME/T5 AMC archetype
    - do something about the HVA nonsense (+2m/s for +10% recoil, yay!)

Optionally needs a slightly faster short reload (1.8~1.9), that's of lesser importance however.

As for the Corvus, it's almost as it should be and in line with other 167 as far as bloom is concerned. The only thing it needs is RoF standardized at 550rpm like Cougar/Razor/Ursa, from its 526rpm. That's it. And those 3 guns should get a behaviour closer to the Corvus actually (lower horizontal recoil value, lower bias for the 2 carbines).

Though as i said to my outfit: 50% of infantry guns are alright, and 50̈% are a complete mess. So much so that i doubt DBG will do much about it. In fact last LMG patch made it worse, in the most screwed up category (increase general accuracy on LMGs in HeavySide ? FFS?!).
  9. Mongychops

What?

The CME has more horizontal recoil than the Pulsar without the AFG
  10. Littleman

Not in my hands :D It has a <-> recoil pull, where as the Pulsar has a -> pull... I think... they're both ultra light pulls regardless, I hardly notice.

Mind, it's still the CME, which does still feel redundant to the Pulsar S and the NS-11a. Really, the VS have waterguns, and waterguns are never very satisfying to use.
  11. nehylen

What you are characterizing is not horizontal recoil, but vertical recoil bias. The CME and Pulsar VS1 have very similar bias around 17°~20° to the right, but the CME has less vertical recoil per shot, less first shot recoil, and RoF makes vertical over time lower anyway.
    Horizontal recoil, not to be confused with bias, is a random angle kick added on either side of the point of origin, and intervenes on top of bias. So your bias might push to the right when horizontal recoil kicks to the left.
    The maximum number of horizontal kicks to the side is limited to half the horizontal tolerance value, or the first shot value which comes above that value (that's what we know at this point, there might be subtleties we're unaware of).

As such your stock CME will kick upwards between 17° and 18° to the right, and on either side by 0.22° from the point of origin, and will have a maximum kick from the point of origin of 0.44° (2 shots) to each side.
    A grip-equiped Pulsar VS1 kicks 3 shots to each side (which is a big drawback for such an archetype) contrary to most ARs, and feels (and is) less accurate as a result.
  12. Ragnarox

From my experience, CME is bad.
    Corvus is way better and I used it to get Darkstar.
    Best way to get to darkstar: NS11, HV-45, Corvus, insert weapon here( I used equinox cause I loved that weapon+shotgun), leave Terminus for last cause is the best weapon for farming kills.

All Vanu weapons have ultra high vertical recoil plus medium horizontal recoil.
    Darkstar have same problems.
  13. nehylen

Actually the opposite is true. VS guns tend to have the lowest vertical recoil per shot, in general. Pretty obvious when you sort the gun stats' spreadsheet around that particular stat. People tend to complain about the higher first shot multiplier of VS guns though, which they feel is unfair.
    Then again, it's a mistaken outlook: since VS guns have lower vertical recoil per shot, the multiplier on the first shot needs to be higher to reach same first shot recoil values as NC/TR. A single operand of a multiplication is devoid of any significance on its own.

For instance first shot multipliers on default carbines are 2.8x for VS, 2.35 for TR and 1.75 for NC. Yet, since the vertical recoil per shot is way lower on the Solstice, all first shot recoil values end up at a total of 0.7°.
  14. KaletheQuick

LEAVE CORVUS ALONE!

He just needs a heat mechanic instead of reloads. All VS weapons need this. <3
  15. eldarfalcongravtank

to be honest, almost all VS assault rifles are in a pitiful state. the only one halfway usable is the H-V45. now compare them to the godlike assault rifle arsenal of TR who have the T1, TRV, TAR, SABR, TORQ, which are ALL amazing guns!

then again i gotta admit i actually like using the Corvus (even if it's the VS assault rifle with the least DPS). why do i like it? because it actually looks and sounds pretty terrific, it has a high damage model and on top of that it barely has any horizontal drift. it's actually the perfect assault rifle for longrange if you are a very skilled shooter and can control vertical recoil well enough. you will even win against shielded Heavies or Infils with semi-autos at longer ranges if you are good with the Corvus.

i for one wouldnt say no to a slight Corvus buff but, in my eyes, other VS assault rifles are in stronger need of improvement right now.