What goes through your head when you read this?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AxiomInsanity87, Jan 13, 2016.

1. DarkJackal

In my experience, as an SMG Infil I found it easy to run through swaths of OPFOR to find another crouched SMG infil firing at medium range just so I appear right in front and head shot the cloaker. Fun times.
    • Up x 1
  2. AxiomInsanity87

Nah mate.

It's way more skillful than that ;)

You forgot mines.
    • Up x 2
  3. CipherNine

XP reward system tells us what the game is made for - not much beyond killing...

Planetside = "The Kill" + strategy
    Strategy = follow platoon leader and click right correct base to spawn at
  4. Demigan

Requires less mechanical skill but more positional and situational skill than other automatic weapons. Stealth makes much up for the 'traversing terrain' part of positional skill. But the SMG infil simply has less health and if discovered too soon the ease-of-use of an SMG just doesn't make up for it.
    So I think all in all it's a pretty good balance. Less face-tanking tactics, good risk/reward.
    • Up x 2
  5. Savadrin

Hey now, getting good kills with mines relies on great placement. It's no harder to faceroll auto a bad player than to kill them with a mine, and the same holds true for good players who know where they usually are or what to look for. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  6. AxiomInsanity87

I love mines mate

Almost as much as c4 hehehe.
    • Up x 1
  7. Savadrin

Naturally it's easier than it is to do when you're uncloaked. But it only takes one guy (of whom there are so many) to notice the predator and start firing. Once you get that silly shield pulse it's gg, lol. Especially when running into NC, as all targets are fair game.
    • Up x 1
  8. AxiomInsanity87

You will love this that i made

for lols

Most of them people are veteran players as well. I can see their psn id's.....the scum. I was there to quickly get rank 2 on the bouncing betties for a mine centric alt i was making and decided to go all out.

The TR footage is my main.
  9. bLind db

My eyes as they roll around in the back of my head from the statement. One class can use near-invisibility to get favorable positioning on an HA and then bodyshot him to death before he even has a change to activate his overshield. If you're using a hipfire based weapon and aiming solely for headshots, you're doing it wrong, especially as an infil. Aiming for the chest area is ideal as it maximizes accuracy while still allowing for the potential stray bullet to headshot. This goes for LA's, as well. There's a reason that some of the best LA's in the world have low HSR's - it's just not as strong as brute force in CQC and aiming for the head has too much of a margin for error if your enemy is moving, especially when hip firing.
    • Up x 1
  10. gartho33

Infil: By nature, weaker than all other classes due to the lack of an equivalent shield. This is justified the the classes access to "advanced camouflage".
    SMG: Sub Machine Gun, Typically used in close quarter combat where "flinch" or "twitch" skill is dominant.

SMG Infil: A class weaker in nature participating in combat it is ill suited for, often relying on its opponent being oblivious to its presence.

Heavy: Front line class (better known as the bruiser). Designed to take a beating and dish out the same. Equipped with an advanced overlay shield to promote extended survive-ability in a firefight.
    LMG: Large Machine Gun, Typically an all purpose weapon suited for many forms of combat. Often used by bruiser type fighters who need to dish out a lot of damage.

Now that I have played that monologue, lets try and find the question.... hmmmmm.... nope no obvious one here....

By its nature, the "SMG Infil" is far from its ideal environment or combat scenario. Weaker (due to the lack of equivalent shielding), more demanding (by placing the weaker class in hazardous environments like CQC), and unable to compete toe to toe with a "bruiser" type of class like heavies... its no wonder an "SMG Infil" requires more skill... you are trying to play to your opponentsstrengths AND advocating your weaknesses at the same time. Compounding fighting in your worst spot with fighting in their best spot, its no wonder that greater levels of "skill" are needed to compensate....

What where you expecting? Your fighting to their advantage ON your disadvantage....
    • Up x 1
  11. AxiomInsanity87

^ This is exactly how you downplay a class and up play the skill needed to do well with it lol.
  12. OldMaster80

Oh no I'm not angry at all :)
    It's just that I mainly played infiltrator for years and I bought my first SMG when it came out. A few weeks later I quit using that because it felt definitely too easy.

That's just my personal opinion, feel free to disagree.
  13. Savadrin

I find more often than not that I open close into the back of a heavy, and before he drops, he has turned, activated his shield, and killed me while making a sandwich and drinking a soda.

Maybe it's because the Failstorm can take almost 30 bullets center mass to kill a resist shield nanoweave heavy, depending on the range. Not less than 15.
  14. Savadrin

Dude, that point when you dropped the claymore on StarLord and then shot him to make him run - that is one of the funniest things to do to people. I lol.
    • Up x 1
  15. Taemien

XP does nothing for me. I have all the certs I pretty much need.

So I have alerts, VPs, and Taking Continents. Eventually everyone reaches that point. That is if you think you need to grind certs till you have everything. Some don't.

Certs are a means to an end, not the end all be all of PS2.
  16. AxiomInsanity87

Or put claymores in decent camp spots with the lasers facing backwards lol.
  17. CipherNine

Yes and in alerts you just click to spawn wherever your platoon leader wants you to spawn. That is all there is to strategy.
    So therefore "The Kill" is not small part of the game, it is the game.

And XP is not just a means of unlocking new equipment, it also symbolizes reward. Whenever you get XP the implication is that you are doing something that designers of the game consider to be good gameplay.
  18. Jubikus

Every class has good skill based elements. Even a heavy despite what people think isnt just a press F to win class its not an easy task to hit a speeding harasser with a rocket or C4 if its coming right for you that requires good timing and good aim.
  19. Taemien

Can tell you haven't played MMO's very much. There is a point when killing boars isn't a means anymore. Eventually you step into endgame.

Great thing about PS2 is you can step into endgame right after character creation, if you so choose. Just because many of you choose not to go there and use certs as an excuse doesn't mean its not there.

And there's way more to strategy than that. But that's up to you to find it, or follow a leader who knows more than what you've been suggesting. Good luck with that.
  20. The Rogue Wolf

Headshots certainly help the SMG Infiltrator, but if you're not quite that precise, being crafty and knowing how to catch momentarily-isolated opponents can make a fine substitute. Even a suppressed submachine gun will drop most opponents (aside from HAs with a twitchy finger above the F key) with bodyshots before they can properly react, provided you're not firing your peashooter at assault-rifle range. Of course, it's less ammo-efficient, but missing too many shots and letting your opponent stop, spin and shoot is worse still.