HA SHIELD IS OP !!!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ReNz0r, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Pelainis117

I saw your kills you got lile 14k kill on lmg at first gun. Second got like 4k kills also lmg. And third one got 1,6k kills- carbine. So I"am talking with facts and you shouldn"t harras on me withount reason.
  2. Scr1nRusher

Gravity was not kind to you as a child.
  3. OwlMatt

I think the belief that heavy is OP is rooted in the assumption that winning head-on infantry gunfights and having high KDR are the most important things in Planetside 2. Yes, heavies do dominate that particular aspect of the game. But watch a bunch of heavies try to take on a balanced force with engies supporting, light assaults flanking, and medics healing, and see who wins.
    • Up x 2
  4. Obscura

Yep, people don't realize the class system is a team system. Like how every professional sport has a position that scores the most points for the team, but that position is useless without the other positions supporting them and enabling them to score so many points.
    • Up x 1
  5. Goretzu

Again I don't really think that is true, unless you're only counting toe to toe. No Inf runs around not using their cloak. :confused: Anymore than any HA runs around not using their shield.

I can't see them being able to give AA to a cloaking class, nor really much in the form of AV or even Anti-MAX with stealth again, for pretty much the same reason they had to take shotguns off Infs.
  6. Savadrin

The tears are delicious.
  7. Savadrin

I just want to be able to hack placed tank mines. And giving the INF an Archer is not a bad tradeoff, considering you're losing a LOT of infantry kill potential. I doubt you'd see it except situationally.

And let's face it - if your MAX lives for a few minutes you can just chain pull them anyway. I don't understand why people think resources are a problem with the refill rate as high as it is.
  8. Goretzu

An interesting idea, but due to the nature of use it would be a bit harsh on Engis perhaps (if you leave a vehicle and it gets hacked that is a choice, mines on the other hand are meant to be left).

That's the thing I don't think Infs would ever really use it.

I use it occasionally (because it is such a specific weapon it is pointless to do anything other than pull it specifically), but I don't think I've ever really had a time where I'd have used it as an Inf over and Engi, especially given that I've actually got more AI kills with it than AV/AA or Anti-MAX kills (and on an Inf I'd just be using the 4x sniper in those circumstances and head-shotting Infantry and MAXs).

I dunno how much you've played MAXs, but they actually take a fair bit of doing to keep alive, especially NC-side as you don't have the Blueshift/Mercy range. You've got to play pretty conservatively with them unless you have constant support (and even then).
  9. Savadrin

I only MAX a little, if I think it will help or the group needs a kamikaze leader to soften a room. I know how fast they can die, but with the refresh rate of resources, you can almost pull another one immediately after the first. Definitely if you live for two minutes, as a member. I can't actually speak to non-sub resource rates, if they're different.

I view tank mines as abandoned property. I would be game to allow INFs to also hack prox mines if they could get close enough without blowing themselves up. It would certainly cause a strategic change in how Engi's decide to just litter every surface in Auraxis with tank mines and forget about them.

Plus, in addition to the possibility of failure, you're still typically having to hack something which makes you visible, in the middle of a road, next to a base, or elsewhere that you commonly find tank mines. This is risky enough on it's own. Plus, engi's could then start using them to fish for INFs.
  10. SQPD

I view them as some kind of ******** guerilla who runs around spraying LMG into enemies and using rocket primaries, envisioning themselves as moderately intelligent for having picked the class with the shield. It's still ridiculous for heavies to be able to use a shield, carry a LMG and a rocket launcher as well. The rocket launcher needs to be for a totally separate class, not the overprivileged heavy, whose only downside is its nonexistent "lack of mobility." Since it's so easy to get into one on one engagements in PS2, this sets the heavy on a higher playing field due to its wide variety of options, whereas the light assault is stuck with its carbines and its too-slow-to-escape jetpack. Even if not faced with a one on one, the heavy is capable of demolishing large numbers of enemies with is high cap LMG and wide option of grenades. The heavy has the rocket launcher, LMG, grenades of choice, pistol, and overshields. The light assault can go onto a roof, fire all of his weapon, then just kill himself after being spotted and all the enemies come to take the kill. The heavy is truly the king of the kill, which completely ignores that the light assault is also an assault class.

Heavies shoyld not be able to carry LMGs and rocket launchers in one class. LMGs should also have higher recoil, almost Gauss SAW recoil.

And for the light assault... It's not that easy to flank when the enemy has every angle covered with heavies, MAXes, tryhards, and wannabes.
  11. Goretzu

I dunno with membership perhaps, but without it, it would be a basic 9 min wait to regain a MAX's worth of resources (50 per 1 min tick), although obviously that can be shorterned by other factors too.

Which is why I usually think twice before I pull an AA MAX to fend off Air campers.

The problem is that is how they work; it is usually difficult and often counter-productive to guard mines (especially AV ones), because they work best when completely suprising someone often in the middle of nowhere between bases.

They can already easily be destoryed (directly and indirectly - EMPs make even the most cunning mine placement suicidal), and generally you've got to sow a lot of AV mines to get a kill, so personally I think swapping their faction is a step too far.

I don't think Inf traps would be particularly successful given that most people just destroy mines they see, you could lay 100 traps and be lucky to get 1 kill out of it.

Plus I think you'd soon get sick of being killed by friendlies whilst halfway through hacking an AV mine, that is why I almost never bother to disarm mines when playing Engi.
  12. Azawarau

Did someone say Kamikaze leader?

I pull max suits fairly often (About as much as i use light casualty) and its the biggest resource drain on failed attempts second only to suicide dropping on a sunderer

Its never cheap unless you take your time to regain resources before getting bold
  13. Savadrin

I think the member resource tick is 75 instead of 50, someone can probably confirm this. I will check later.

True enough, but keep in mind that clock starts ticking as soon as you pull your first MAX. it only takes (3) minutes as a non-member if you have full resources to pull another one, including 0 bonuses or discounts. Perhaps it's because I don't spam grenades and burn through resources constantly in my playstyle, but I rarely, if ever, have any sort of resource shortage, and that includes chain suiciding with sunderers. So if your max lives 3 minutes, you're fine to chain the second one. If you're burning through them...well you know the answer to that.

I'm not looking for INFs to be the new minesweepers. What I want is to take those denial shields that people place outside of vehicle terminals, and on roads during assaults and turn them into a risk. I see roads lined with friendly tank mines all the time, most people just drive right over them. But I'm a dick, and I like to leave traps and nasty surprises for people on my INF.
  14. demondrew

I watched the vid and imo those heavys are just plain bad. Going head to head with a HA in my skill range as a LA or engi the sheild makes all the difference, everytime. Even headshots dont make a difference most of the time.
  15. Goretzu

None members that pull vehicles, lay mines or ever use grenades can find resources going down very quickly and having a long wait, and MAXs are very expensive, more than twice the cost of a Sundy and the same price as a MBT/Lib/Gal, for something that in a high pop combat hex you'll often struggle to keep alive for 9 mins even with rezzing.

One of the worst problems with MAXs is underpopped defensive battles, usually you'll run out of resources simple because the loss of small bases is quicker than you can afford MAXs/your resources regen (and that is without losing MAXs to deaths) and there is effectively no way (unlike vehicles) to take your MAX with you to the next base.

This isn't conjecture, I know that when you start using MAXs it becomes a very specific choice with resources already, especially if you are setting up other defenses such as mines on top (~250 to 400 a time). When you play a role that doesn't use much resources you don't notice them (I know I never do when playing like that), but equally that doesn't mean that they don't cause major issues for some roles (and probably should to be honest - although I think MAXs are a bit too expensive since they increased their price - I also think C4 is a bit too cheap).

I just think that punishes the Engis in a way they cannot really counter, when 2 solid counters to AV mines already exist (1. shooting them & 2. Engis disarming them).

And believe me laying AV mines is a risk, it accounts for a good proportion of my deaths, even though I don't actually do it that often, as being caught out in the open as an Engi by anything isn't conducive to survival (this is why I actually often solo Lighting as a Stalker Inf as you have much more chance of survival when ambushed compared to an Engis self-repair utility).

Dev resources on Inf hacking would be much better spend on genuinely useful and wide ranging stuff such as hacking unoccupied vehicles and as mentioned being able to hack a capture point and completely reset it.
  16. Savadrin

I would say that overall a MAX unit and an MBT are probably not on equal terms, even given proportional effectiveness in situations of armor/armor and infantry/infantry engagements. I would be OK with seeing MAX reduced to 350, specifically because of how fast they can die to two coordinated players, while the MAX essentially must have an engineer nearby to stay viable. But if you lower it too much, you're encouraging MAX spam which isn't so much fun either.

I always load stalker when I am running a vehicle solo. It's the only way to hedge your bets in having a CHANCE to survive after getting jumped. Plus, you tie them up longer via trolling, and if they're dumb, you can kill the engi who jumps out to repair.

I agree that there are far better things for devs to focus on, what you listed being excellent examples. People complain about INF cloaking regularly, yet there are already hard counters built in specifically for that, and it's really not all that hard to see as it is in a lot of situations. So I don't quite get on board with the engi mine counter, as an INF I would not be upset if they added my prox mines to the list of hackable items. It would make me think harder about using them, or how I use them.

But realistically, the resources limiting what we can do and how quickly is, I think, designed to promote more heads up and situational gameplay. I pulled a MAX in Hossin yesterday at a small (12-12) fight because we couldn't get any push, and they had at least one MAX. Died on the first one, but lived long enough to pull a second and ended up being able to charge the last point and flush them out for good. I was far more careful with my second MAX knowing that I couldn't chain pull anymore, and that really made the difference for me.

It does reduce your flexibility a bit, but I'm not sure it's good for people to pull a max, an MBT, and then a Lib within 5 minutes.
  17. ViXeN

Its not OP at all. People have been saying that for like 2 years but what they don't understand is that the class is called HEAVY ASSAULT. A LA or whatever the sniper class is called (I don't even remember at the moment) shouldn't be able to stand there and go toe-to-toe with a HA. The HA needs the shield because it is the main combat class.
    • Up x 2
  18. Savadrin

Don't come back from a break and start making sense immediately ;)
  19. ViXeN

I can't believe that this conversation about the HA is even still happening after all of this time. :eek: Once I work off the rust and get back into the game, I suppose I'll have to do one last gaming guide and show the best ways to take down HAs using LAs and other classes. The LA is especially lethal against an HA if you knew what you were doing. At least it was last time I played.
    • Up x 1
  20. SQPD

Heavy Assault is NOT the main combat class nor was it intended to be. The Light Assault was actually the dominant combat class for a long time until something went wrong and people started pulling heavies and heavies and only heavies.
    Also, there is, in the event that you miss, that the heavy turns on his ubershield and sprays you down with his full auto LMG. There should be a 2.5 second delay (at LEAST) for the heavy to turn on its shield, since the average TTK is 2.5 secs, taking into account the accuracy of the average player. Just saying that there should be a window of opportunity to take down a heavy without being pressed for time. And if the heavy does a minimap double-take, you are ******. That's why I like explosives. Explosives don't care if your target has ubershield, because most can go right through the ubershield.