What is nanoweave good for now?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Eternaloptimist, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Demigan

Allright, didn't know, sorry.
    Most people seem to really mean 'aiming for the head' as 'aiming for the head'.
    • Up x 1
  2. Iridar51

http://planethead.info/equipment/suit-slot-guide#h3-nanoweave-armor

What's more important, common opinion or how it actually is?

Nanoweave Rank 5 provides 20% resistance to bullets that don't hit the head. That translates to increase from 500 hp + 500 shields to 625 effective HP + 625 effective shields.

1000 -> 1250

That is a very substantial increase.

Sure against weapons that do 200 to 125 damage per shot that is indeed "only" 2 extra bullets. But that's not a small amount.

This changes 5 bullets to kill with 200 damage weapon to 7 bullets to kill, a 40% increase.
    For 143 damage weapons, it is from 7 to 9, a 29% increase.

And that's only when talking about weapons within their maximum damage range. Weapon damage degrades. Against carbines that do 112 or 100 damage at minimum range, you will survive 3 extra bullets.

Having full nanoweave also almost guarantees you won't be oneshotted by pump action shotguns, unless a perfect hit was achieved.

Normally flak is taken to survive vehicle fire and grenades. LA can dodge grenades, and usually not a target for splash damage. And flak won't protect against tank cannons' direct hits.

For LA specifically, Flak helps immensely against anti-personnel mines, which are extremely annoying if you don't pay attention, or play an adrenaline-riddled playstyle that requires being very close to enemies, like with an SMG or a shotgun.

In which case I'd still take nanoweave, and just use an EOD implant.
    • Up x 3
  3. DooDooBreff

i prefer grenade bondolier on heavy,medic, and engy. LA i switch between ammo belt, NW, and grenade bandolier
  4. Booface

This is true at close range where damage values are maxed out and accuracy is high enough that your benefit is in small fractions of a second.

Keep in mind, though, that Planetside in practice is much messier than its theoretical TTKs. A lot of fights take place with lots of cover, movement, and other factors reducing accuracy and TTK. You won't notice your maxed-out Nanoweave when you let someone stick their carbine in your face at point blank range, but you will notice that extra 20% health when you're ducking and weaving behind cover at ranges where you're only eating bullets one or two at a time and damage values degrade a tier or two lower. I'd say that if you're surviving those type of encounters long enough to use Medpacks, you're probably absorbing a lot more than one or two extra shots.

Personally, if I'm running anything but Infiltrator in a primarily infantry context and I don't have a good position to use lots of grenades, I'm going with Nanoweave.
  5. FateJH

Note that you do not want to shoot at people's legs. That does even less damage than normal.
    • Up x 1
  6. LodeTria

Only time it's really acceptable is if you have the lasher.
    Or if you can only see their legs but cover like that is few and far between.
  7. Iridar51

The real edge case is when you try to crossbow + knife someone, shoot him in the leg with the crossbow, strike with the knife, and the enemy survives.

This is literally the only case when it's possible to survive a crossbow combo, not counting HA shields. Full nano + leg hit. Happenned to me once or twice.
  8. AxiomInsanity87

Yeah it's really good for you

Just add some cinnamon and lemon zest
  9. Imp C Bravo

In my limited experience:

LA/MAX - Nanoweave/Kinetic Armor
    HA - Shield Regen
    Engi - Extra Grenade belt
    Sniper - ammo
    Stalker - whatever you like
  10. Obscura

I've always run Nanoweave on my HA, LA, and infil when I'm not sniping. Nanoweave 5 and resist shield 5 or NMG 5 is what makes heavy assault such a front line beast.

Oh and nobody can say I'm cheese when I use that combo either :rolleyes: , I figured out that was best for HA in beta I think so those who use it now just to cheese it up are just copycats lol
    • Up x 1
  11. Demigan

Just a small correction:
    20% of 500 = 100.
    Total health pool added = 1200
    Assuming the 20% extra from nanoweave was correct, I haven't checked it in-game for a long time now.
  12. Jubikus

I run Nano weave on everythin but Engineer and sometimes heavy. Explosive damage is very avoidable for the most part(nothing is completely avoidable when a battle gets too big) so nanoweave does the most for me basically i run flak when i know im going to be in the line of fire for tanks or air.
  13. Moridin6

use to run nano on everyone but im gravitating towards more nades lately
  14. Jubikus

Doesnt the new Nanoweave not stack with resist shield? i could be wrong it was just something i heard somewhere.
  15. Liewec123

plus everyone goes crazy about heavy shield, which absorbs 5-6 bullets, so being able to take an extra 2-3 bullets could be seen as having 30-50% of a heavy's shield. :)
  16. Iridar51

Nanoweave doesn't increase HP pool by 20%, it provides a 20% damage resistance. Those are different.

100% damage resistance would give you infinite health, not 2000 HP.

The formula:
    Effective Health = Health / (1 - Damage Resistance).

So it's 1000 / (1 - 0.2) = 1000 / 0.8 = 1250

It's a common mistake. Nothing shameful, percentages are hard to figure out.
    • Up x 3
  17. SQPD

Nanoweave and Advanced Shield Capacitor are both viable options. Nanoweave really only offers protection from one or two more bullets. The amount of times I have been sitting within the red range on my health bar have been few, which is why I recommend Advanced Shield Capacitor to minimize your vulnerability time while waiting for your shield to regen.
    • Up x 1
  18. Obscura

Yes thats true but it's basically a damage negating build, you have the 20% small arms protection from nanoweave constantly, and you a longer and faster recharging shield that gives you 45% damage reduction from all sources. They don't stack anymore but they compliment each other when the shield is used right. Thought lately I've really been liking adrenaline shield as well.

Use the following formula: Effective Health = Current Health / 0.55
    Ex: If activating Resist Shield at full health: 1000 / 0.55 = 1818 effective health.
    Ex: If activating Resist Shield after losing shields: 500 / 0.55 = 909 effective health.
    This makes Resist Shield a stronger option than Nanite Mesh Generator or Adrenaline Shield if activated at the start of an engagement, but weaker if activated when already damaged.
    • Up x 1
  19. Zombo

i always thought the 20% resistance nanoweave gives also applies to the extra health you have due to NMG, so it's even more afaik

the problem still is these darn skilled players who go for headshots only and wreck you anyway ;)
  20. Taemien

I run EOD HUD on my engy. Not only can I see mines before I step on them, but I can tell my teammates to stop as well. My friends have gotten used to hearing me freak out over TS and stop, run sideways immediately upon hearing it while I spot the mines for them.

I prefer grenade bandolier on everything over Flak. Sure someone with Flak can survive a single sticky grenade. But not 3-4 :D