[Suggestion] Connery and Emerald Need To Be Merged

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tortricat, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Tortricat

It really angers me that Connery is declining so much because my main character is on Connery. I think they need to merge Connery and Emerald. Players should be given an option to select a "Primary character" since many people probably have Characters across several factions on Connery and Emerald. Your Primary character would be your "main character" and you would get a cert bonus with this character and faction you choose as your primary faction. I think a feature like this would help balance faction populations if they ever merged Connery and Emerald.

I don't think many people have characters across all 3 factions anyway, only the most hardcore players do. i think most people have characters for 1-2 factions, I have 1 Vanu on Connery and 1 NC on Emerald, I don't like TR so I never wanna play them anyway.

These population statistics are accurate, around 70-80% of people are playing PS2 on Steam at any one time. These player numbers always have more people playing than the Steam stats since some are using the client and are not playing on Steam.

http://www.therebelscum.net/world-population/

Currently, both European Servers have 1000-1400 people playing daily for at least 5-8 hours during peak times.

Emerald has 1000-1300 people playing daily for at least 4-6 hours during Peak times.

Connery never goes beyond 1000 anymore, they are always at 500-780 people during peak times for 5-8 hours a day. If Connery and Emerald were merged it would really help bring back those huge epic battles which would be in more places and spread multiple continents.
    • Up x 1
  2. Gundem

No please. The servers for PS2 already start to get overloaded once the population hits +1500. Peak times would be complete zerg fests rendered unplayable already bad hitreg rendered non-existent.

Also, Emerald is the East Coast server, Connery is West Coast. You'd only get bad pings all around for everyone.
  3. JustBoo

I play on Connery. NO THANK YOU. No really, nice of you to offer but, NO THANK YOU.
    • Up x 1
  4. Goldmonk

No
    • Up x 1
  5. Tortricat

I am on the East Coast, my main character, a Vanu is on Connery. Ping does not matter much in PS2, as long as you have 130 ping or below then you are fine, I often have 90-150 on Connery and I don't notice any connection lag at all, I am still able to play well and my Vanu's KDR is 1.7 right now, most of the kills being from a Sythe (don't use it much anymore except to get to places) and kills as a heavy. It would still work if both servers are merged. It doesn't become a huge zerg fest if there are 1400-1900 people on the server, I remember numbers used to be 1500-2400 on average with Emerald, it was great.
  6. Taemien

What Gundem, Justboo, and Goldmonk are failing to indicate either because they are naive and don't know about it, or have a racial, ethnic, or regional bias against the members of the other server, is that more people doesn't equal more lag. The reason for this is the servers are well designed and equipped to handle more players than they currently have.

I know this because I've played on Genudine Helios Connery for 3 years. I've seen populations much higher than both servers (emerald-connery) combined. In addition I've seen the population on Connery get high enough in the past where only ONE continent is locked at a time.

You see that's where those players are possibly being naive. When the population of a server gets high enough, the double continent lock becomes a single in order to spread everyone out over 3 continents. However.. currently Connery and Emerald do NOT have enough population to support the double continent right now. If you login during primetime, you can only get a fight on ONE continent, not both that are open.

Its doubtful that a merge would even trigger the dynamic continental locking system to leave open 3 continents. But even if it was, that means there would be good fights on TWO continents. Giving players more choice in where to fight.

So knowing that. The only other reason for opposing the merger is a prejudicial bias against the regions, ethnicity, or race of those players who primarily play on either server.

Because lets be honest. I can attest to what Torticat says about playing from the East Coast on Connery. I've been doing that for three years. The ping is fine enough to play. Even with players in the EU or Asia I can reliably track and hit them just fine.

So when you see players like Gundem, Justboo, and Goldmonk oppose the merger. Understand that they are either ignorant, or prejudices. Both reasons are not justifiable in any society for opposing something that would help thousands have a better experience. Because Overpopulation and Ping are not real issues here.
    • Up x 1
  7. Nabil1998

How about no. I already have enough difficulty with Vanu lag wizards glitching around everywhere. Last thing we all need is more of that.
  8. Taemien

Guess we can add Nabil1998 to the list of Naive or Prejudice. So far:

Gundem
    Justboo
    Goldmonk
    Nabil1998

We'll see if any of these people wish to explain themselves. If they are in fact naive about the dynamic continent lock system.. then they get a pass. Its not common knowledge. Especially if they've never seen 3 continents open at one time. But if they did know.. well there's a darker agenda behind their protest.
  9. Nabil1998

Excuse me? I don't take kindly to personal attacks. I'm just stating a fact about the large amount of people with bad (or forced-bad) connections to the game. Adding more to the mix will only degrade the game's performance further. What the **** has that to do with naiveté? Personally, I'd think you don't have a clue about the bigger picture here, not just "MUH CONNERY". Geographically, these servers on the OPPOSITE SIDES OF THE CONTINENT. You DON'T need to be in Comp Sci. to know the relationship between connection quality (even my god-like fibre) and PHYSICAL (METERS/KILOMETERS) DISTANCE to a PHYSICAL SERVER.

To keep it crystal-clear (and feel free to quote me on this):
    "The farther away you get from a server, the worse/slower the connection speed is gonna be".

wtf forumside. o_O

Reported.
  10. Albertafox

You don't know what your talking about.
    I live on the west coast and my ping is lower going to Emerald than Connery.
    Just because it is physically located closer does not matter when the Connery server ping has been getting worse over the year.
    My ping has gone from 60-70's a few years ago to 150-170 lately on Connery while Emerald is around 120-130.
    I can get a ping of around 180-200 to European servers.
  11. Tortricat

Yea these people do not know what they are talking about, Connery and Emerald need to be merged since Connery is being left behind and never goes beyond 1000 players anymore. Nothing will make people come back unless they do some major content updates like I suggested in my previous posts but if not then they need to be merged.
  12. ChUnKiFieR

I'm for it! I don't think merging servers will be a problem. When was the last time anybody waited in a que because they weren't a subscribing member? I know I haven't waited in a que in several (6 or 7) months. Everyone I talk too wants the return of the mega-battles and that's not going to happen on its' own. As far as ping goes, I know a player who lives within blocks of the west coast server and his ping is no better than mine and I'm in the middle of nowhere. I think these ping arguments are throwback conversations to the days of dial-ups and DSL's if you ask me. If you do have a ping problem that annoys you and you really want to play Planetside 2, then shell out the bucks for a faster connection if it's offered in your area. But more players are key here or you won't be shooting anybody on any server soon!
  13. PWGuy93

.... long list of reasons why NO is my recommended position on this.
  14. Leer

Hey, intolerance isn't nice and making things up about people and labeling them is a no no. To the penalty box for you so that you can feel sad about what you have said and learn that different people have different opinions. I haven't seen any of they people say anything negative or mention racial, ethnic, regional, etc in this post at all. your post is disappointing.
    • Up x 1
  15. Nabil1998

How about calling for server maintenance, or upgrades? Much less drama. ;)
  16. Leftconsin

I main on Connery, but get a better connection to Emerald. I have to say NO! You would only want to merge the two if you want 24 hours a day of 96+ fights at every base. Not everyone wants that. I know I don't want that. I enjoy playing at 12-24s.
  17. Gundem

My good sir, it appears you do not understand how Bandwidth works. Or even basic Electronics.

Little history lesson first, PS2's game engine is a modified Free Realms '2.0' engine.

Free Realms

PS2 is literally a gigantic stress test for a cheesy MMORPG for 12 year olds. They then took the data from the server performance in PS2, make corrections, and now you have Everquest Next with the fancy destructible terrain and not-**** performance.

When 3000 players attempt to connect to the server simultaneously, the server has to calculate the data for each player simultaneously. This results in higher ping because the server can only process each players packets at the speed which the electrons take to cycle through the servers various logical circuits, which is slowed down even further by internal connections between each component. When the server is processing packets from thousands of players at a time, it takes longer to get each packet back to the player because the server takes longer to process it. Like when you open up too many webpages at a time, they are all processed at the same speed, but even if you had infinite RAM your CPU will take x amount of time to process the data for opening each webpage. Individually it may be a short time, but when you try and open 50 web pages at a time, you start to see lag. I can tell you that I see a good 20-25 ping jump from low population to prime time. Normally I hang around 126 ping(I picked Connery at random, this was before the server pages showed your Ping, and I didn't know Connery was West Coast. I am East. On my Emerald characters I get around 60 ping.) but Friday night I can expect to consistently see 140+ ping, sometimes going as high as 160 ping. Not to mention that hit detection goes out the window.

This is compounded by the fact that PS2's entire architecture is designed to be an open world MMO, not an FPS shooter which requires precision data on damage, hitboxes and movement.

All because SOE was too lazy to create a custom engine for PS2, because for some ******* reason they thought that the largest FPS shooter in the ******* world somehow would turn out fine with a ******* MMORPG engine.

And people wonder why PS2 has bad server performance.

So, I'm waiting for that apology now.
  18. Joorald

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  19. Taemien

Sorry buddy, but your racist little tail has been called out.

There's been numerous accounts of West Coasters playing on Emerald, and East Coasters playing on Connery (I'm one of them, have been for 3 years). And there is no evidence of a connect issue.

Not happening. You're spreading false information, there's no way Emerald and Connery's current numbers can Match the numbers the servers had two years ago. When large fights happened across 3 continents.

But you knew that already, didn't you?
  20. Nabil1998

Reported again.

This time I'm also demanding an apology. :D