Why is spawncamping a legit issue?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Wroth, Nov 8, 2015.

1. AxiomInsanity87

Spawn camping legit tactic or people being spawn camped too random and stupid to think outside of the spawn room?.

People get spawn camped through choice, if only they knew why or decided to get into an outfit.

One does not play a combined arms large scale, never ending war game solo and then have issues when running solol.
    • Up x 1
  2. Sulsa

Spawn camping is a thing because it is THE BOTTLE NECK in an otherwise open world.
    If you could spawn anywhere you wanted, there wouldn't be a bottle neck spawning, hence no spawn camping. The bottleneck would then become something else ( a control point, terminal, a small amount of shelter in a base etc. )

An attacking force, to win, will try to control the bottle necks. It is a legit tactic.
    To combat this tactic, place another spawn point somewhere else. PS2 provides the absolute simplest, most obvious way to get around this by giving everyone access to a MOBILE SPAWN POINT. Why do people still get all wound up about this?
    • Up x 1
  3. Liewec123

as i posted in the other spawncamping threads, they should give defenders a few seconds of invulnerability when they leave the spawn room, this would stop the attacks from simply camping the exits with impunity.
  4. jmdafk

I dont see the problem with spawncamping (as in attacked base spawn, sundy spawn or uncontested base spawn camping by infils is a bit cheap)
    If the attackers outnumber the defenders there are only 2 options. Either the defender is wiped out or they get pinned down at one point. This even happens in real life. And nothing is going to change it , surely

Yes it gets tedious, but its the nature of PS2, its a hugely unfair game. And imo one of the things that makes it unique, it doesnt help anyone.
    imo what does hurt the game is people prematurly shooting out of the spawn room. It should be a last resort and a way to make enough of the enemy hang around till the counter runs dry.
  5. andy_m

It can depend on the base, but I quite enjoy sniping duties when at an over run base...
  6. customer548

New players being spawn camped will think "Whoa, much explosions, much noise, much bullets, much graphics and sounds...Exciting game."

Older players being spawn camped will think "Whoa, much easy targets to kill in an easy way from behind our shields. Nice farm. Let's wait for the last 15 seconds in order to relocate."

Spawn camping is a strategy in all games. And it highlights the fact that defenders failed, were outplayed in a way or another. It's a legit tactic.

The only real problem i qee here in PS2 is the fact that you may find opponent sundies or tanks standing right next to spawns and spamming rounds, denying the ability for defenders to act in a way or another. Maybe Devs should do something about it.
  7. Rellenar

The problem is the invulnerable spawn rooms prevent fights from ending when they should be over. One solution is to remove the invulnerability. Let the spawn rooms be destroyed.
    • Up x 1
  8. ColonelChingles

This would also stop the last-second mass-redeploy saves that wreck the game.

As well as allowing the attackers to refocus outwards, to meet the incoming ex-defenders in glorious open-field combat.
    • Up x 1
  9. Moridin6

i see TR max crash out of heavily camped spawnrooms all the time. a little courage and some teamwork go a long way
  10. Takara

You are fighting the wrong fight....

Every game that has spawns someplace other than an ultra protected zone with no badguys has spawn camping. Because...well you spawn as much of a threat as someone who has been alive for 20 min.

Sadly PS2 decided blowing up spawn tubes was not something they wanted to deal with. So they sucked all the tactical thinking they had in PS1 and just throw it out and stick in all the stuff that made BF and CoD bad in instead.

But honestly....if you get so angry at spawn camping perhaps shooters aren't for you. It's part of the game...it's just a game. It's part of games.

@peanut...honestly people who spawn at these bases are generally pretty much making the mistake. If they just spawned at another base and brought back armor/ams units theyw ould likely win the fight.
  11. TheRunDown

Spawn camping is possible because the Devs had MLG in mind when designing the bases.
    CoD like CQC was the base design, however that didn't account for Air or Ground vehicles camping the spawns.
    Since release little things have change, like they've tried to block enterance to the spawn rooms with bollards, there used to be a roof on the outpost spawn rooms once upon a time..

PlanetSide 1 had the right idea, Tank and Air to and From a base, and Strickly CQC inside bases and hidden spawn rooms.
    But only 2% of PlanetSide is in PlanetSide 2, and that's names and cosmetics.. PlanetSide 2 will never be PlanetSide, and that why PlanetSide 2 has a low product life and a player base that burns up quickly. They wanted MLG, we want PlanetSide, so they forced MLG on to us, even though we still don't want MLG or MLG game modes..
    • Up x 1
  12. Dennisz125

There are 95% out of all the main spawn point of the base have a teleportation to different flanking option, why no one use them?
  13. Goretzu

Every single suggestion for reducing or stopping spawn-camping that is ever made (other than adding more teleporter exits) always ends up with HUGE gameplay issues that would make the game worse over all (some vastly worse, by completely buffing Zergs and punishing defenders for being outnumbered - a punishiment for already being punished).

The only one with any validitiy would be totally redesigning the game to a PS1 spec (which just isn't going to happen at this point in the game), other than that the only thing that will improve gameplay is improving base design which at this point basically just means adding at least 3 seperated spawn exits to even a small base.

This is what I mean, they tried this in Towers 2.0 and all it did was result in attackers camping the #### out of all the tower exits and defenders being farmer like mad by them (and unable to do anything about it, as they couldn't clear the crossfires as they were instantly killed by them), unsurprisingly when they changed Towers to thier 3.0 version the spawn-shield was back to the Tower 1.0 version, because it is the only version that doesn't end up with defenders being trapped in thier spawn unable to clear an exit and basically farmed to death.

No option is perfect, but the current option is the least worse option.
  14. TheRunDown

You mean the spawn room that is just to the Right or Left of the original spawn room that uses the same paths and cover to exit the spawn area?

I think there are 4 or less bases in the entire game that actually have secondary spawn rooms that are useful, the rest of them are just placed either side of each other.
  15. Goretzu

That's the other big remaining base design issue, it should always be something like this:

##########################
    #.............TP1.......................#
    #..........................................#
    #..........Cap point..................#
    #TP2...................Spawn room#
    ##########################

With good seperation between the spawn room and teleporter rooms giving good and different avenues of access to the capture point meaning that the attackers should always favour holding the capture point unless they have riduclous overpop.

The TP rooms don't have to be huge however the ones that are just a little bit of a bigger building are more than fine for this purpose, the crux is having 3 well seperated exits per small base and more for a bigger one.
    • Up x 2
  16. Zombo

nope, the line of "spawncamping" would simply move a bit further outwards

the only thing that can stop spawncamping is stop to get spawncamped and go to the next base to pull a sunderer, tank or get ready with AV/AA for when the other base was taken
  17. Liewec123

it would mean far more than just "the line extending" currently the enemies surround the little box filled with XP and simply shoot the doorways, this would give the defenders a chance to push into nearby corridors and around corners, the sheer dispersion would make camping a lot harder, because now rather than shooting at a small 10m box for XP the defenders are spread over a much larger area.
  18. Zombo

it would make camping harder, to a degree, but people would still camp the spots right where the invincibility would end

sure,the first few days this would be hard as balls to deal with when taking a base wit a lot of spawnroom defenders,
    but a few days after everyone and their mother will know where to stand on every base to never meet a guy with invincibility, and then it's just effectively making the spawnroom larger
    • Up x 1
  19. JustBoo

THIS. THAT RIGHT THERE is a problem.

The base is clearly overrun, there are still 3:00 minutes left before the timer runs out, so out of sheer boredom most people drift over to the spawn room and waste the 3 minutes blasting a shield hoping an arm or leg will stick out.

I usually do not indulge in that behavior. I wander around the base looking for stragglers and just generally check the base out.

But here is the thing, I also do not just move on, I stay and wait for the timer so as to get the "victory." We fought hard to take the base and it seems wrong somehow to move on without getting the "win." Staying sure isn't worth the reward, last night I got 325 XP for taking a base. But I still do it....

There needs to be some other determination of what wins a base, other than just waiting around for a timer to run out.
  20. Zombo

no, that should really be the last thing to add as a mechanic, this would incentivise people to zerg even more
    want to take the base faster? just put more people into it! bad bad bad idea
    • Up x 1