What was The Old Crown?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by patrykK1028, Jan 31, 2015.

1. MisterMorden

i never liked it, it was just a clusterf***, the battles lasted a whole day but it wasn't epic in any way, just the same over and over again.
  2. user68

Exactly.
    Crown used to crush zergs 24/7 like meatgrinder.
    You either go tactical or GTF0.

And yes, for Crown defenders constant stream of zerglings was a cert fest.
  3. Krayus_Korianis

He who controlled the Crown controlled the Universe!

The Nanites must flow.
  4. TIVman5

I think the connery TR took note of this thread. As far as i know we held the crown whenever indar was unlocked monday and didn't give a **** if it was the only base we had.
  5. Karrade

Lots of shooting and not moving very far. I was TR, so we were mostly in the crown. I remember a lot of tanks cutting anyone down who went down the hill, and a lot of sundy rushes.

Surprisingly fun. It was like the odd days in Planetside 1, when you just said, you know this tower, this is mine I am not giving it up no matter what. You'd hold a tower long after the point of holding the tower was over :), you are holding the tower because it's your tower, it was pretty funny actually the small melees a couple of random people got into, taunting them, even if the enemy had taken over everything else, that one small spec on the map is mine.

Only in planetside 2, at the crown, there were several hundred people doing the same thing, and that one tower became the point of the game.
  6. Kumaro

The Old Crown = Normandy D-day of Planetside 2
    Those fights could actually drain the rest of the maps population.
    One big reason for this was that the base was the only base with an interesting defence considering that the entirety of Planetside thanks to Higby and others was tailored towards offensive tactics and pretty much punished defensive play styles severely. It still does to a degree around many old school bases.

Personally I hated the Crown because it pulled so many players from the rest of the map but at the same time i could understand why. No other base was as fun to defend and attack as the crown was. I didn't even wanna play infantry during a long time back then because i thought infantry gameplay sucked around the bases because of their poor defences.

And not to mention back then Indar and Esamir had many open stretches that allowed for glorious vehicle battles. And base placement and outposts gave incentive to actually move there and fight.
    Now almost every inch of each continent is tailored to be a bottleneck ruining vehicle combat completely especially since vehicle range has been nerfed to a laughable state >:[
  7. Ronin Oni

You and I have very different concepts of "Awesome"
  8. Ghosty11

The original Crown was PS2's version of the movie "Hamburger Hill". People just kept running up that damn hill with out an inkling of why they were doing it other than to get to the top.
  9. Crayv

Basically it was the only base that was had a tactical advantage for the defenders in the form of something other than a tiny choke point (infantry could pretty much scale the entire south side). Making it fun to defend and challenging to take.
  10. Dakkaface

The Crown was great because it was a genuinely difficult base to take, and it's central location meant that even though it was highly defensible,it was positioned so that whoever held it had to fight off two different empires. It was a meatgrinder that stopped zergs cold and always guaranteed a long grueling fight that had tons of soldiers and tanks on the field, frantically trying to capture or defend. For all our talk about huge battles and such that PS2 is capable of, most of the time battles are occurring at 3-4 places on each continent, splitting the population down to fractions. If the fight was at the Crown, 90% of the continent's population ended up there. I loved the hard fought wins and gigantic battles on The Crown, but hated how empty it left the rest of the map, as some interesting bases just never got fought over with all the attention on The Crown. Even other continents were drained of population to feed the fight on central Indar.

Honestly the only base that has anywhere near the same nostalgia for hard fought captures and defenses is Vanu Archives, and that is a distant second to the mayhem at The Crown.