Gaming mice: Logitech G502 vs Razer Mamba

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Beerbeerbeer, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Beerbeerbeer

Looking for a new gaming mouse for PS2.

I kind of narrowed it down to either the G502 or Mamba.

Anyone who uses either of these care to share your thoughts?

Kind of leaning towards the Logitech because it has more buttons, but eh, not sure yet.
  2. Imperialus

Well I have the G602. Big difference is that mine is wireless and doesn't have the adjustable weights but I quite like it. The overall design and ergonomics is similar to the 502 and I find it comfortable to use for long periods, and it tracks very well, even on my cheapass ancient mouspad. I like the ability to adjust DPI on the fly, and the programmable buttons are easy to access quickly. When I first got it I found that I would sometimes hit the G5 button by mistake (it's the middle button on the lower tier) when I make fast movements, but after I got used to the mouse it wasn't too bad.
    • Up x 1
  3. TheSunlikeOne

If you want more buttons, then buy Razer Naga (it has 17 of them). I use it since 2011 and I think, that when it breaks, I'll buy the same. I can't use other mice anymore, because of the functionality, that Naga gives me.
    • Up x 2
  4. Gundem

I personally use the G700s, and I love it. It might just be my giant sausage hands, but any other pathetic tiny-man mouse just feels like I'm trying to aim with a pencil. Plus it looks nice, has really well positioned thumb buttons, DPI swap and cycle, and it tracks pretty awesomely.
    • Up x 1
  5. Onhil

Go for the G502 as it's ergonomic compared to the Mamba. If you want wireless the G602 is also a good choice.
    • Up x 1
  6. CorporationUSA

I have a G502. I got it because I love having lots of buttons on the mouse, and it has a great optical sensor. It supposedly has the best sensor on the market, but considering every pro CSGO player doesn't use one, I don't think that matters as much as people think when compared to some of the other leading optical mice.

The mouse has 2 common complaints from people. The first is that it is too heavy. It comes with weights that can be added, but a lot of people think it's too heavy without any. I personally like the weight, and I added 2 more on top of it's stock weight. It's a preference thing, so take that for what you will.

The other is the metal scroll wheel. It takes some getting used to as it's a bit slippery compared to rubber wheels, and a bit stiff until you break it in. A bad combination. At first it was an annoyance, but a month later I'd forgotten all about it. The scroll tilt left and right clicks feel very nice, probably because of the shape of the wheel.

There are a few other complaints, like you can't change the color of the light(blue) and feet move over time(not an issue for me, so maybe they fixed it).

Overall the mouse feels amazing to me. The part under the thumb where my thumb rests is brilliant, and the 2 buttons to the left of left-click are nice. My only complaints after months of heavy use is that the cord seems a bit heavier than it needs to be, and I sometimes hit the mouse wheel unlock(free scroll) button when I'm trying to hit the button behind it. If I could, I would swap the placement of those 2 buttons.
    • Up x 2
  7. Beerbeerbeer

Thanks! Nice review!

I liked the feel of it the best, that and the mamba. One thing I did notice was indeed the weight vs the razer, which was lighter, although like you, I probably won't mind as my old mouse was kind of tank anyways.

Need to get a good mouse pad too. Been using my wood desk top for years because I liked the smoothness, but I ended up destroying my desk.

I think I decided on the g502.

Thanks for everyone's response. Going to buy it now and I'll report back later. Getting the corsair mouse pad too I think.
  8. CorporationUSA

I've used both the Steelseries QCK and Corsair MM200 mousepads. The Corsair is larger and has less friction, so I recommend it over the Steelseries. It's a couple dollars more, but worth it imo.
    • Up x 1
  9. Tommyp2006

People actually complain that it's too heavy? It feels like paper without it to me. I put all the weights in and it feels just right to me.

G502 is a fantastic mouse OP, best Logitech mouse I've had to date, and I've had a G400, G500, G700, and now this. Can't say I have much experience with Razor mice, I personally don't like their styling.
    • Up x 1
  10. Beerbeerbeer

Got and tried it. Man, wickedly nice mouse.

Also got the medium corsair cloth mouse pad as indeed, it was the smoothest of the bunch.

Now, though, my aim sucks as I fight against the DPI muscle memory of my old mouse. I forgot to take note of what dpi I had it set at bah lol.

Remapped some buttons on it and yeah, the scroll wheel is kind of funky. That button that allows you to have long throws with clicks versus infinitely fast scrolls is nice, but the latter is too fast for the game, and the long throws is longer than my old mouse (i.e., takes more rotation per weapon switch). Have to get use to it.

The cord is indeed stiff and heavy. I ended taping a part of it to my desk so I have some built in slack, otherwise I feel like the cord is fighting my movements and since it's a cord, it does so unevenly. But the tape trick with slack helped.

Not finding I need weights.

Thanks again. Awesome mouse, but I'm sure I'll be fighting the dpi muscle memory for a while.
  11. Beerbeerbeer

Oh, it's on sale at Best Buy right now for $68 bucks.
  12. Agarthan

Skip both of them and go with Anker.
    • Up x 1
  13. Ronin Oni

G502 Master Race reporting in.

The buttons are really well positioned too (the one on top middle behind the wheel unlock switch is a lil awkward, but all others are perfect, and wheel side scroll clicks, remappable of course, are very nice on this mouse as well... & if you use 1 DPI setting, the +/- DPI buttons gives you 2 more)

If you use a Logitech keyboard you get the bonus of centralized gmae profile management... of course if you use a Razer then that would be an advantage for the Mambo (but for the fact there's not much to map for the Mamba.....)
    • Up x 1
  14. Ronin Oni

Yeah, my 502 is at max weight as well and it feels barely just right... no weights and it feels way too light.

Then again, I use wickedly high DPI, so I don't want any drifting. A heavier mouse makes small movements easier.

But with no weight it feels super light to me, so I really don't understand that.

I also really love the thumb rest on this mouse.
    • Up x 1
  15. Gammit

Also have the 502. Love it. It was like night and day moving up from the standard Logitech optical mouse.
    • Up x 1
  16. Taemien

Anytime its Logitech vs Razer.. I'd say go to Logitech.

I've had numerous Razer mice, from their Deathadders, to Mambers, to their MMO Nagas. I've also tried their Lycosa Keyboards.

I couldn't get any Razer product to last more than a few months. All of them crapped out at about 3-6 months. I'm sure this is attributed to heavy use. But.. they're advertised for gaming. I'm not using them for web browsing and emails.

I made the switch to Logitech about 3 years ago and the products I purchased I am still using as of writing this. I'm using the G510 Keyboard the G600 MMO mouse. I'm considering getting a new mouse... of the same model and that way I can have two of them, one for the PC and one for the Laptop on the go.

I actually have a 502 mouse for my Laptop currently and its alright. But not nearly enough buttons on the side. Once you go MMO Mouse and learn how to use it... you can't go back. I don't even use the number row of my keyboard anymore and it makes swapping weapons and using voice-callouts much easier and faster. Not to mention the flexibility with other games, especially MMOs obviously where there are a few more buttons to press.

But other than not being a G600, the G502 is well built, fits in the hand quite well and responds pretty well. I use it for my game development project on the days my team meets. Since alot of that involves playing games.. having a gaming mouse is a must. Plus I hate the shapes of traditional mice.

Yeah.. I'm spoiled. :p But here's how I see it. The mouse and keyboard are the most used pieces of hardware on your computer. Indulge a bit. And buy quality stuff that will last a while and can take a beating. Which means avoiding Razer. Which kinda makes me a bit sad, as their products do look cool.
    • Up x 1
  17. Villanuk

A guide for you.

http://www.gaming-mice.com/best-gaming-mouse-2015/
    • Up x 1
  18. FieldMarshall

I use a Naga.
    The 12 side buttons are extremely valuable when you want to do several things as quick as possible.
    Its advertised as a "mmo" mouse, but its surprisingly accurate and good as a fps mouse.

There are a few downsides to it though.
    1. Its a Razer mouse, and pretty much all Razer mice i have had (8+) have been very fragile and have broken within the first 6-10months. Even with light use.
    2. In frantic 1v1 CQB situations, i sometimes click the 1,2,3 buttons accidentally. But that may just be me.
    3. It seems a bit smaller than normal gaming mice, and some people may find it uncomfortable.
    4. The newer versions of the Naga have the two thumb buttons above the scroll wheel almost at the top center of the mouse.
    If you want to use them you have to let go of the mouse and use your index finger, making it completely useless.
    The old Naga had the thumb buttons near your... thumb.
    • Up x 1
  19. Taemien

When your Naga breaks.. and as you know, it will... Try the G600 Logitech MMO Mouse. It should fix many of those downsides for you. The buttons are angled and require a slightly harder press so you don't accidentally press them. Its a bit larger as well. And the best part is... no replacing every 6 months.. I've had mine for about 3 or 4 years now.

As I said in my above post.. I plan on getting a second one for the go.
    • Up x 1
  20. crocosoborizobaur