[Suggestion] Rocket Launcher Backblast

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SQPD, Oct 30, 2015.

1. ColonelChingles

Well sure, it would affect everyone. I mean it could be used offensively as a suicidal panic weapon too I suppose. Or in the case of tanks, simply fire off cannon near enemy infantry and if they are within, say, 20m of your cannon, they die.

I think that just demonstrates how interesting of a change this could be. It really would not just place greater limitations on rocket launchers or tank cannon, but also open up whole new possibilities in their employment!

It's actually two really strong "winds" that can rip people to shreds or severely injure them.

[IMG]

You can see that in any explosion, you of course start with an extremely high pressure wave called a blast wave. This is caused by a solid/liquid explosive changing phases to take up a much larger space, along with the thermoexpansion of air (as air heats up it takes up more volume). That one is fairly lethal, killing you with heat, debris, or simply destroying tissue and bone from pure force.

But that's not all folks... because following the high-pressure period is a period of negative pressure, or that the area has much lower pressure than the space around it. This causes a second force, called a blast wind, that blows the other way.

[IMG]

I think the doggy on the leash was a completely unnecessary, but interesting touch. :p

Anyhow, the 50m radius around the tank is more for safety. The real dangerous spot is being directly in front of that tank cannon within 200m or so.
    • Up x 2
  2. cobaltlightning

But, OP, you gotta think for a second: Even with all these pressure waves, the soldiers have Auraxium-infused armour, which for all we know could protect them from the sudden change in the immediate environment around them.

Combined with the fact that Auraxis is not Earth so the 'backblast' may be non existant on the planet's teraformed atmosphere anyway.
  3. Astriania

This is one of those 'fun > realism' things. There's a well established mechanic for rocket launchers (and other heavy weapons like vehicle guns) in FPS games that being close to the firer or projectile is not dangerous.

PS2's rockets are all fired from a launcher with a solid backplate, anyway, so no blast would come behind the launcher, and the rocket is only maintaining its momentum so will be a relatively low power motor.
  4. FieldMarshall

People behind the RL instantly dying feels a bit wrong, when the rocket itself bounce off my chest with flak5.

Anyway. Realism and rl physics dont apply or fit into PS2.
    • Up x 1