[Suggestion] Membership Benefits for those that have everything

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Beerbeerbeer, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Beerbeerbeer

I don't mind subscribing to this game as I enjoy it immensely and have no problem supporting it.

When I first started playing again, I ground up new characters from scratch and during this time the membership benefit was helpful.

But I'm at a precipice, where I'm literally running out of the need for certs and the 500 DBC. In other words, there's almost no need for me to continue to subscribe.

There needs to be some other benefit. The current system just doesn't make sense once a player reaches the point I'm at when I'm the precise type of player who would gladly continue to subscribe and support provided there was some other benefit, tangible or even intangible.

The reason to subscribe is very, very short-sighted.

If you want more money you have to look at why people would subscribe, not only the newbies, but more importantly, those veterans who don't need certs.
    • Up x 4
  2. Liewec123

agreed, there needs to be something more than 25 resources a minute to warrant £8 a month.
    when you're BR100, and have everything unlocked that you want there is really no reason to sub.

i can't gain any more XP, i have no more use for certs and i already have every cosmetic i want.

some options could be:
    "faster respawns"
    "Instant action more often"
    "50 bonus resources per minute (up from 25)"
    "Advanced Implant Module (unlimited implant energy)"
    "more members only cosmetics"

wackier ideas:
    "member-exclusive weapons"
    "member-exclusive MBT terminals at more bases"
    • Up x 2
  3. Beerbeerbeer

Yep. Something, anything along those lines would be good.

I don't need certs, experience, anything, give me a reason to subscribe and I will.

And I don't play any other of your games, just planetside.
  4. Villanuk

I have already posted about this to radarx, and i do agree.

Why do most BR100's or high level players need to pay near £100 per year for an old game when games retail for £25 - £45 brand new, its not logical at all and thats why i feel many players do not join as a member as the price is far to high.

I recommended a membership with no more than £30 p/a for all the benefits apart from SC, for that i would join the game. All players need certs and will do once the ant system comes into place, but i just dont feel paying anymore than £25 p/a is good value.
    • Up x 1
  5. Beerbeerbeer

Well hopefully they realize they are ignoring a large pool of money in regards to veteran players.

Why would you ignore that?

We are the heart and soul of planetside yet there's no reason for any of us to subscribe.
  6. Shiaari

I propose that when you hit BR100 that fifty percent of your subscription fee be put toward a thrift savings plan, with an option to exercise a traditional IRA, or a Roth IRA. Your choice.

When you uninstall the game you must rollover your TSP to another provider.

That'll make Daybreak some money, selling securities!
  7. Beerbeerbeer

As an addendum, I don't want something where non-subscribers would consider membership as "pay-to-win."

It should be benign, yet desirable for veterans not looking for certs, experience or care much about resources.
  8. Taemien

Here's an idea to throw into the mix.

Take Koltyr and make an instance out of it. Outfits, including those on the same faction, can use it to skirmish for 30-60 minutes. However all participants have to be members.

I would look to Everquest for membership ideas. Its one of their most successful games. And they do it despite some F2P complaints, things like:

High end equipment tagged as prestige, which only members can equip.
    Levels and Content (including classes) locked behind paid expansions.
    AA counts restricted to 1000, with boosters giving 250 to the number (you need 10,000-13,000 in the current content) for 2-3 dollars each.
    • Up x 1
  9. Cyropaedia

Members should get UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles) - largely for scouting but perhaps with a weak weapons system attached.

Other Daybreak Game subscribers get better access to in-game items and mercenaries. Since we have neither, UAVs would be the closest thing to a membership-based mercenary.

It would encourage players to keep membership to use an exclusive tool without a sense of buying power (no OP damage or cheap reskins).
  10. Taemien

Here's another idea. If they ever go forward with the black ops idea, allow members to use their own unlocked weapons. Maybe even all weapons purchased on the account (with DBC, not certs, has to be an account unlock). Not just NS weapons.

So I'm playing a TR character and have a phoenix bought with DBC for my NC characters. I can use it on the TR when I go Black Ops, even if playing for the VS.

Also on that same TR character, all weapons bought with certs on that character are available.

And members wouldn't have a BR requirement to do Black Ops either.
    • Up x 1
  11. Beerbeerbeer

I like all the ideas, but my favorites are exclusive membership cosmetics, both camo AND vehicle cosmetics, that are actually desirable. Member-only helmets as well, cool ones.

Implants are another good area to think about, like possibly reduce the energy costs for members and the first tier wouldn't cost any energy at all, or something else along those lines.

Make certain cert-only items auto-unlocked for members (but still available to all), like the sunderer cloak, although again, probably not ideal as I can buy it at will or will eventually get it anyways, but maybe something along this line. Like certain weapon attachments auto-unlocked. Eh, on second thought, anything to do with certs would suck.

Maybe allow members to view more map details. Again, I'm throwing out ideas along with everyone else.
  12. TheFlamingLemon

Free player here.

Do not add anything for members that would be exclusive to members outside of cosmetics and XP. Having anything accessible to members alone that impacts one's proficiency in combat, the game becomes pay-to-win. Having a resource boost right now is debatable enough. Adding things like exclusive guns, infinite implant energy, UAVs, etc. all give members a distinct advantage and shift the game more towards pay-to-win. Exclusive continents and things for members will make the game worse as well. There are free games and then there's "free" games in which all of the useful content is paid for. For this game to keep population it needs to be truly free.
    • Up x 1
  13. Onhil

Well they should still add more benefits. So the people who have everything they need has a reason to still have their membership.

Stuff like member exclusive cosmetics, camo and weapons is a good start(still with the same stats(DBG should avoid the pitfall Overkill did))
    • Up x 1
  14. Moridin6

how about trading certs for dbc?
  15. K2k4

I recently unsubbed for just this reason. Nothing to spend my certs on, no reason to spend dbc. I am sitting on 3k dbc from my membership and may never use it if eqn isnt amazing.

I know the pass is all access, but lets face it myself and others may just not have time to play all the games. Hows about a little more ps2 incentivization?
    • Up x 1
  16. Beerbeerbeer

Yep, the entire "play all of our games" benefit isn't a benefit at all. I neither have the time nor desire to play those games.

They need to re-think the membership benefit and marginalize that all access part. Don't get rid of it, but discount it from the sum total as it really doesn't apply.

I just play planetside.

My 6 month sub ends soon. Give me reason to resub and I will. Otherwise, I'm cancelling. There's really no need for me to continue.
  17. LordAnnihilator

I'm considering getting a membership myself (only for long enough to get the cosmetics I want, either 3 or 6 months.)
    If I want to kit out four classes and three vehicles, how long should I probably subscribe for and how much additional DBC should I get? Asking because I don't want to potentially waste money.
  18. Moridin6

depends on what you want to get i guess.. sum it up, take off 10percent.
  19. Pelojian

my advice is to head into VR and deck out your kits in there with cosmetics you are thinking of getting, pull the vehicles and you can look at them from different POVs inside the vehicles, outside the vehicles, standing on the vehicles etc.

I've spent a bit on cosmetics here and there as i've let my DBG pile up and spend it most of the time only when stuff is on sale.
  20. Taemien

A truly free game doesn't keep the lights on, shelter over one's head, and food in one's belly. Something has to give, and the Executive Creative Director has pointed that out.

What good is the depot once you have the weapons you want, the camo you want, the helmet, and the decal? That's actually the problem I've been facing lately. I have nothing to buy, no reason to keep a membership going. Certs are mostly used to buy batteries for implants. Extra nanites aren't needed I as I very rarely use them up fast enough.

I look over at Everquest and see an MMO that has been a sub game for 16 years. Thats longer than some of the players here or there have been alive. Yes it went Free to Play a few years ago, but it might as well be Free to Try. To be competitive and worthwhile in a group you need to be level 100. That requires an expansion to be bought. You need about 10,000 to 13,000 AAs, free to play gets 250 or 1000 if silver (may all be silver now). You need to be a member to use gear that allows you to do current level content and raids.

To put it shortly, you are VERY limited in EQ compared to PS2. I'm not suggesting we get similar limitations here. But paid advantages depending on how they are done shouldn't be off the table. Access to new weapons that are not direct upgrades does NOT give a P2W advantage. P2W is when Player A pays, Player B doesn't.. and when they meet, Player B stands no chance. But if they are on equal footing, even if Player A may have a different route they can do, its still even.

Getting new members won't be easy. But keeping current members shouldn't be ignored. And I don't buy the whole 'keeping freebies happy' ordeal. They'll begrudgingly keep playing. If they're not spending money here, they're definitely not going to throw down 60 bucks on the new BF or CoD game. That's one advantage Daybreak has over EA and Activision. They don't shut down servers a year after releasing a game.