[Suggestion] Riot shields for heavies.

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by cbplayer, Oct 4, 2015.

1. cbplayer

The worst parts of this game is when 2 platoons fight from the opposite of a door, or a gate, or a stairway, or a bio lab entrance, and basically becomes a boring meat grind stalemate where both sides cant push and it really frustrating.

Generally what a Riot shield does is defended a user against a large group of people. A squad of heavies with riot shields could rush into a room and end a stalemate.
    [IMG]
    For their primary weapon slot, Heavies can equip a riot shield to use defensively and rush in into rooms for riot control. The shield itself, acts as a mechanical object and has limited health, which must be repair by a engineer. Of course, when equipping the shield, you cant sprint.

The shield absorbs a certain amour of damage before it gets busted and needs a engineer to repair it.
    The amount of health a shield have should be about the same as MAX armor.
  2. Eternaloptimist

Sounds a bit like a more powerful HA overshield to be honest. Concussion grenades and fast firing LMGs still seem to be the best way to storm a choke point. If you don't want to be killed by your allie's C4, explosive grenade spam or tank guns, that is.
  3. cbplayer

Its nothing like the HA overshield at all. The overshield is an offensive tool use by noobs so they can survive being flank. The overshield is nothing like a shield at all, its a second health bar that regenerates. IT doesn't stop any bullets at all, it just give you more health.

The Riot shield is a real shield. It protects the user from bullets and other damage, Its basically a walking wall that can be use to approach a group of enemies without getting kill and push the fight. If you do the same with an overshield, you just last a few split seconds longer. With the extremely fast TTK in this game, being able to push back without dying is important. The Riot shield would basically be the same role as the MAXes in the original planetside 1 game, which had a lot more health back then.
    [IMG]
    Also did I said that the Riot shield takes the place of your primary weapon?
  4. JojoTheSlayer

The game already have "breach units". They are called Maxes, with or without an actual shield.
    If you really want a "riot shield" like ability in PlanetSide it would be obvious to go NC Max and get the Aegis shield.

Then you can play your "Rainbow Six Siege like" character until 1 December! :p
  5. Littleman

I'd recommend the riot shield instead for the combat medic (whom woefully needs something besides a revive ray and healing mist) but the concept does fit the HA better and IS fundamentally different in execution to their normal shield. Kind of like how the LA has three different jetpacks, and they all perform very differently. Even the Infil cloaks and HA shields don't have that same disparity in functionality to actually cause players to use them at all differently.
  6. cbplayer

yeah I dont think I would enjoy paying 450 nanites for every respawn. plus Maxes in this game are made out of wrapping foil. Also I am VS :p
    You should have seen my infiltrator camo thread then.
  7. Littleman

It's a diffeent cloak, to be sure. I still want to see infils getting the option to exchange their cloak for a sonar - a legitimate personal wall hack. Stealth needn't be done solely by disappearing against a wall. The class is all about intel after all, and I figure sonar fits right in with that concept.
  8. cbplayer

Wouldn't that just go in the recon tool slot?
  9. Vertigo103

Riot shields would be cool! maybe take away there personal shield they can pop in place of that?
    or maybe take away lmg and use pistol kind of like rainbow 6 siege
  10. JonboyX

Often see a group of NC maxes using Aegis shields to push in to a room? No? Probably because it doesn't work.

You get splash-damaged to death because you're slow moving, everyone can see you coming, and every one has at least one grenade, C4, and/or rockets to fire at you. Plus: the shields barely cover you, let alone a colleague.

Should it work as a tactic? Maybe. That's certainly how I thought it would play out when they released the Aegis, but I can attest in game ...it doesn't.

Personally: I don't think this is the change we need. Some bases are supposed to be highly defensible. IMO the issue is not the inability to breach when defended, it's the insistent head banging by the attacking team because there's no viable alternative target.
  11. Littleman

Nah, because they activate it and suddenly they, and only they themselves, can see people through walls up to a certain distance around them. They use this ability in place of an actual cloak, so it's up to them to use this information to stay out of sight the old fashioned way until they're ready to reveal themselves. And of course, like every other infil ability, it makes a tell tale sound when activated or deactivated.
  12. Littleman

ALL facilities should favor the defenders. Planetside 1 followed this doctrine and then threw a curveball into the mix - they're on a replenishable time limit. PS1 favored a siege mentality to taking a base, and it bloody worked. A sufficiently strong attacking force could wrest control of the base from the previous owners through force, or if the fight draws out to a stalemate, the attacking force could just wait out the supply of nanites in the base's nanite silo. Once the silo became empty, the base went neutral and all terminals went dead because there was no longer any power running through the base.

Fights could last a long time, but not indefinitely, and it was always fatal for the defense to play the sit and farm game. PS2 is just a simple meat grinder with no thought put into its battle flow at all because unlike PS1's dev team, PS2's dev team had no idea what the hell it was doing and just shoehorned battlefield into an MMO setting.
    • Up x 1
  13. EPIC389

The idea is rather sound but these days there is a more prominent( and frankly rather annoying(but cert piñata)) of breaching chokepoints.

Max Spam
  14. cbplayer

Tankmines are amazing.
    Also they cost 450 nanites, same as a MTB
  15. EPIC389

Tank mines
    Plus Rocket Launchers
    Plus Ten T9 Carvs
    plus C4

Lots and Lots of C4
  16. Benton582

Honestly, this should replace resist shield. No one I have ever seen even used it before, except myself. Resist shield is used to breach defenses, but the thing lacks substance. It should be LIKE a max shield EXCEPT you block certain incoming damage, such as 50-60% resistance to small arms, 25% resistance to explosives, the difference between this and resist shield is that it's one sided and you can shoot out, meaning you are exposed by 3 sides in favor of one. And you move 50% slower. Like MAX shield, there will be a small hole to shoot the head, but smaller. Also, you cannot reload in this form. Nor can you use rockets. Fragging also disallowed. And cannot change weapons while shield is deployed. Shield deployment takes 0.25 seconds to deploy.