[Suggestion] When will the population issues be fixed?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Twitch760, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Lemposs

That is still presuming, like literally presuming. You don't have anything to back it up.
    Here is another presumption, there are alert tracker sites, some people play purely alerts, when they can see an alert starts they log on and some factions simply have more people. In this scenario, nobody switches factions, and holds as much ground as your presumption. Here is another presumption, limit people and we will have vanuside.
    I am glad that I have to be limited in my games, it is why I love games, no freedom and a community that is supposed to be adults, but needs as much handholding as a newborn.

I rather want a good game and a **** community, than I want a **** game and a **** community. You aren't making the community less ****, by ******** up the game.
  2. Ximaster

I agree,in old times there is a restriction to join to a faction overpopulated. Now,every faction have infinite recruits,well...only Vanu. Vanu in wc,Vanu in soup,Vanu in ur car,Vanu at ur work,Vanu everywhere.
    • Up x 1
  3. DangerMeat

Let's be clear. It is the players from Asia. It's not that it is bad to have pop. It is bad to have a huge pop with insanely high latency. Time of day? I have a world clock set up on my phone so I can see when Asia is asleep. The game is actually playable during that time.
    What you have are huge pops running around the map in mega zergs that are lagging like hell. Impossible to hit and just makes for crap gameplay.
    They either need a continent lock IRL or a latency limiter.
    • Up x 1
  4. Twitch760

Totally concur here every single night Connery gets invaded by the players from Asia and the VS population spikes to 40+% at times. There are a few Korean NC and TR outfits but a majority are VS and we cannot compete against those numbers.
    • Up x 1
  5. Twitch760

Unfortunately I think that boats already sailed they cannot reverse the decision to allow cross faction characters on the same server. It would be a PR nightmare the amount of ******** would be through the roof.
  6. Antillie

Honestly the only reason this happens is because of the Betelgeuse 54-A. It is one of the best LMGs in the game made even better with no reloads and infinite ammo. Nerf that one weapon just a little bit and Vanuside will not be a thing any more.
  7. DeadlyPeanutt

wrong. the fix is easy ---> If server population of your faction is +10%, that server is unavailable.
    easier ---> if any given base area is out of balance by 20%, the over populated faction can't spawn or medic rez until their percentage is >60%. then you can overpop all you want and you won't be able to zerg.

the above changes would take a competent coder about 10 minutes to write.

other games have elaborate selection programming to ensure balance. PS2 has squat.

I was playing an alert on hossin recently and couldn't find a fight that was better than 70-30% against. I quit PS2 and played another game.
    • Up x 3
  8. PWGuy93

What suggestions do you have? I'm sure the developers would love a solution...
  9. FABIIK

The old 'carrot & stick' method.
    Make XP gain directly reflect the pop situation in the area.
    Once you do that, the pops will balance themselves out.
    If people don't get xp repairing/rezing/killing in a zerg, they will leave the zerg and go to a place where the xp is good.
    That's pretty basic price arbitration.
    • Up x 1
  10. PWGuy93

XP only works for those that want/need XP, as a level 100 certs mean very little to me as almost all my vehicles and weapons are already maxed. Certs are nice, sure for something new like the upcoming ANT vehicle I could use them but don't depend on certs/XP.

I loved this idea from the past...
    They had in a long ago roadmap a resource revamp that fits in with the upcoming ANT vehicle. Everything in an area, the links to that area are effected by energy. If your attacking say a tech plant, the shields for the defenders are as good as the energy supply. Inversely if you are attacking, energy effects the vehicles, ammo supply et. No energy, no shields, no energy, no ammo. It wouldn't matter if one side had 90% population, they would by having more players in the area use more energy and deplete any reserves and thus not be able to fight. The only counter is to actively bring in energy through ANT vehicles, which moves the map and the game away from the zerg at a base.
  11. Twitch760

Good suggestion but as PWGuy93 said it won't matter to those the are already BR100.
  12. Twitch760

Previous administrations decisions caused this cluster to happen sadly. Making folks move their alts to other servers may work but it's going to be a tough sell to the players. I expect a lot of hell no we won't go from the player base but what choice do we have? The game will fail without measures put in place to stop 40+% populations of one faction or another from overwhelming through sheer numerical superiority.

I like your idea of a supply line style system where the bigger the zerg the less ammo everyone gets and shields are less effective etc. Basically the bigger the zerg is it gets a debuff of X percentage points. The current system of unlimited ammo for small arms and heavy weapons just isn't good and frankly takes a bit of the fun away. Imagine needing to actually maintain supply lines during an attack. How much fun would that be? A much smaller force might actually stand a chance by just cutting off the supply lines of the attackers.
  13. Negator

are you bad at all the games you play?
    • Up x 6
  14. DeadlyPeanutt

easy ---> If server population of your faction is +10%, that server is unavailable.
    easier ---> if any given base area is out of balance by 20%, the over populated faction can't spawn or medic rez until their percentage is >60%. then you can overpop all you want and you won't be able to zerg.

the above changes would take a competent coder about 10 minutes to write.
  15. Shadowomega

The first one would just drive people away from the game cause they can't play the faction they main. I have been VS ever since 2003 in PS1, and if I come on at a time when VS has 41% server pop they guess what, I am not going to play cause I want to be on my main not some alt ment for screwing around. Ever think about off prime time where 10 people might actually be 5% difference in pop numbers?

Your Second one. Are you forgetting how rapid response forces can exploit the living crud out of that one, oh that will be freakin rich.

The whole reason we see percentages is so we don't actually see how many people are on. Let us say there are 5 NC, 1 Tr and 1 VS at a single base; the NC have 71.42% with VS and TR having 14.28% each. That one VS player if skilled enough would mop the floor with those 5 NC and 1 TR.

Now make that larger and think about something, while those VS players cut their way though the attackers the defenders have 4 full galaxies in bound drop on the sundies and kill them and then push on point the attackers which couldn't respawn earlier couldn't have prepared for that response as their having to travel all the way from the previous base to get back.

I applaud you for trying to think but you didn't think very deeply on the subject.

The NS Black ops option which was mentioned awhile ago might work, but it comes down to having an incentive to actually play it. Then to top it off some people might always be on the low pop faction so they may never gain access to items that those the get to play black ops often do.
  16. DeadlyPeanutt

First, you think that 90-10% battles and VS overpop zergs are encouraging players to stay in the game? Think again. Would server population caps drive away the VS zerg boys? Probably. Is that a bad thing? More probably they'd simply find another faction to fight.

Second, I'm not saying that you can't drop into a base with sky whales, only that you can't spawn or get revived if you're killed. Drop away, get slaughtered, find another fight.

Server and base population caps would retain more players than are currently being lost in droves right now.
  17. Ronin Oni

It really does vary with time of day
  18. Beerbeerbeer

Yeah, the only population balance that counts, IMO, is prime time.

They've been pretty balanced, although the NC are the king of the prime time population, at least on Emerald.

I've seen them bump 40% during prime time, however it's typically 37% NC, 33% VS and 30% TR prime time, but it fluctuates based on whoever is winning/losing.

Off peak percentages can be so misleading since there are so few people.
  19. Shadowomega

Well what server are these massive VS overpop zergs on, what time of day and on what continent are they on.

Cause I am on Emerald, and I have been on for the past week and a half getting on around 6pm eastern and leaving around 12am except for weekends (4:30pm to 3 am (dinner and bio-breaks excluded) and I haven't seen any VS overpop.

You still need to spawn to those gals to drop.
  20. Twitch760

The biggest issue is the west coast servers getting invaded by Asia at night. They all seem to have this fixation on VS and the NC and TR get roflstomped by 40+% VS. The worst part is the guys have such high latency you shoot them and I have nights where I'm not registering hits. DBG needs to force these players to play on Briggs or open up an Asia Pacific server for them. This is just part of the problem however there are much more serious population issues going on.
    • Up x 2