[Suggestion] Coyote for MBTs/Lightning

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by PasitheeVS, Sep 27, 2015.

1. PasitheeVS

Aircrafts are really annoying, they can kill pretty much everything on the ground in short time.
    In a position where you can get no angle to strike back. A dead angle.
    Let's close this dead angle with a new Tank ability.

Called the "Airbuster".

It shoots 3 missiles straight up into the air, that have a Coyote-like lock-on mechanic on Aircrafts.
    They should lock-on up to 60m around the aircraft and do 24% damage each to ESFs and around 9% to Liberators.
    Reload takes around 5 seconds, enough time for an aircraft to run away and never come back.

It should either take the Defense Slot or be a "ESF style 2nd Weapon" used by the gunner.

Being shot straight up, unaimed doesn't make it a weapon to hunt aircrafts, but the proximity-lock-on makes it a good option for self-defense on short and middle ranges.
  2. Kristan

Why not just use Ranger? Both coyote and flak weaponry has the same mechanic, they damage on proximity.
  3. Ronin Oni

well, ranger needs buffing, has since forever.

Not TOO much, since skill floor is so much lower than Walker.
  4. CorporationUSA

That sounds ridiculous. Doing 72% damage to an ESF means you'll be getting kills on damaged ESFs left and right from something that isn't even a real weapon. Something like this would have to be a secondary weapon and deal damage similar to the striker.
  5. Taemien

I really don't think a ground coyote would work that well. Just ask the TR. But I don't see why not, for a secondary AA weapon.

The percentages are a bit off. Just use the same stats as the Coyote. And the harasser version would have 1-2 less rockets per mag.
  6. Jake the Dog

What, are you saying the striker is UP? Nah, you only just need to have a full squad of them shooting at the same target to kill it...
  7. Lureh

Uhmm what's wrong with the walker?
    Yes of course you will have to give up AV (or AI) capabilities but the esf also has to give up AA capabilities to gain AV.

Also how about a high caliber flak round?
    Replaces main gun
    Does decent AV damage (comparable to HE?)
    Can aim upwards
    Explodes after X meters (or any other method except proximity.....maybe on right click?)
    Deals Y damage over Z meters
  8. TheMercator

I still think that the Skyguard should be replaced by a Walker like fast firing weapon against small close targets like ESF and Valkyries and a rocketlauncher with heatseeking missiles agaisnt slow targets like liberators.
  9. Taemien

Yeah I suppose it makes the default pistol decent AA too :p
    • Up x 1
  10. Pirbi

Esfs take a lot of damage and are targeted by things you don't see while its trying to take out armor. At least in any conflict of any size. Lone wolf tanks probably have a bad day. Fairly rare to take out a tank and not be outrunning lock-ons or fighting another ESF the next instant.
  11. Silkensmooth

Don't try that dishonesty here. ESF just farm tanks all day and we know it. They even kill skyguards with ease which is ridiculous since a skyguard should kill anything that flies at render range.

As a tanker i just want to be able to win all day without fear of dying. Nerfing air out of existence would achieve that goal.

Tanks take so much more skill to operate anyway. Why should the easiest vehicle in the game (ESF) be able to have even a chance of killing a heavily armored tank that is easily the hardest vehicle in the game to drive. Tanks should have a lock on mechanic vs ESF so that once they attain a lock they are guaranteed to hit with main cannon.

A locking weapon would be nice for tank vs tank too, currently its too hard to hit distant targets and fast moving harrassers, locks would help new players with that.
  12. Taemien

Were you being sarcastic with this post?
  13. Silkensmooth

No. I don't see why ESF get locks and tanks dont. IRL tanks dont just blindly fire away, they have computers that do the aiming for them. If ESFS and Infantry can have locks and libs can run hyenas, why cant tanks get locking weapons?
  14. ColonelChingles

It's good ol' Silky.

He even changed his forums avatar to make that post. :D
  15. Taemien

This is the part that threw me a curveball:

Forget the spiel about how tanks operate in 2 dimensions and ESFs in 3... But the ESF takes literally hours of prep in the VR to even be considered survivable. A newbie could take an uncerted Vanguard and do some damage to other vehicles. They are even a threat to most of them even 1/2. But a newbie in a ESF will likely get gunned down in a single or second clip from a nosegun.. assuming they even make it out of the warpgate.

That's before someone takes them aside to teach them advanced maneuvers or they practice on their own after watching videos. And then you're going to tell me a ESF is easy? And that the MBT is hard to drive?

Forgive me if I don't take you seriously. But you're not even speaking of weapon balance. You're talking basic chassis, saying that tanks which use WASD to move around is harder than the ESF which takes WASD, C, Space, and both axices of the Mouse. A tank that takes no damage if you bump into something, and a ESF that explodes on contact with many surfaces with the same momentum.

You're going to have a hard time proving that point if you honestly believe it. And I don't think you do. I actually think you're BSing me.
  16. Sebastien

What about being trapped in 2 dimensions while trying to survive against a vehicle that has more DPS then you, can move faster than you, and can move in a dimension you can barely interact with. Do you have any idea how good you have to be to actually survive a 1v1 encounter.
    Flying an ESF against other ESF is hard, fine, whatever, that's not the point. Flying ESF against something that can't hit you is not hard, the only way to die is to **** up colossally
    I admit aircraft should have an advantage against ground vehicles, but to imply flying A2G takes significant skill is fallacious.
    • Up x 1
  17. Taemien

The DPS of my Tank Shell hitting the ESF dumb enough to target me is infinity since the round will one shot them. So don't give me that. I've got a certed Vanguard and have knocked down plenty of ESF's in my time. Don't give me this 1v1 excuse. Not to mention my gunner is a second person due to it being a 2/2 vehicle. What's to say he can't be a heavy with a lockon. Now that ESF is serious trouble.

I'll give a hint, don't try to argue this point with me. I've been having this debate since 2009 with other games. My opinion hasn't changed. Its a couple of complainers not wishing to look up. Plain and simple. I've never had issues in PS2 or other games with air. Because I have no issue looking up. If you want to argue with someone who hasn't changed their opinion in 6 years, feel free. Beat your head as much as you want. But I felt you should have a warning.

I'm not against Coyotes on MBTs. I just don't see the point. The range that ESF's engage MBTs (if they're smart enough so they don't get gibbed by that cannon) is at a range those Coyotes won't be able to hit them. And I don't even run stealth on my ESF and I'm capable of dodging them. Imagine what a stealth ESF will do to the ground based versions.

Would be good against Gal's, Libs, and some Valks though. Maybe better than the current AA secondary option.
  18. Imp C Bravo

The troll has started. The troll is real. The OP is ridiculous. The lolz have feels.
  19. Sebastien

If you honestly believe the main gun is a reliable AA weapon, then you haven't reached the level where aircraft are your only threat.
    I'll give you a hint. You don't even know how high the mountain goes.
  20. ColonelChingles

Aircraft should kill MBTs and most Lightnings without those tanks having much chance to fight back. That's the role of aircraft. To strike against these hardened targets that would otherwise be engaged by equal armour or weaker infantry.

The problem is that dedicated AA tanks can't easily destroy aircraft. A Skyguard takes a rather long time to bring down light aircraft and is pretty much helpless against heavy aircraft.

So the solution is to give Skyguards secondary weapons, like Tomcats or Coyotes. These would be in addition to the primary Skyguard cannon, and the Skyguard would switch between the two as ESFs currently do.

[IMG]

This could bump up AA lethality to the point where the game would be properly balanced.
    Air kills AT tanks.
    AT tanks kill AA tanks.
    AA tanks kill air.