[Suggestion] Adjusting XP modifiers might be the best solution to balance uneven

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scorpion97, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Scorpion97

...pops.one of the biggest disasters in ps2 is the unbalanced pop that ALL players suffer from time to time.however,I've been thinking a lot about this idea before I post it here on the forums until I came up with making XP an affecting factor according to pop in steady values

when a faction is underpoped by 3% to 5%,give them 25% XP bonus and when its underpopped by 7% to 9%,give it another 25% XP and so on.......

this will force people to join underpopped factions making faction pops WAY more balanced

note: pops should be measured according to continent ones

curious to hear further ideas
  2. xSalt

They already do this. If you pay attention to the exp modifier next to your radar screen. When you are out popped it goes up.
  3. Scorpion97

I know but I want them to increase it more because it doesn't attract underpopped factions as intended.thats why I said ADJUST XP modifiers and not ADD XP modifiers ;)
  4. xSalt

Fair enough. But I don't think it should ever be more than maybe 25%. If it ever got up to 50% that's like a double exp weekend, which would instantly attract everyone, instantly taking it away. At least I feel that would happen.
  5. Crayv

Problem is when you are drastically out popped you can't cap a base (no base cap exp) and the moment you walk out of a spawn you get shot by 3 people, so you get maybe 1 kill but they get: a kill, an assist, and probably a revive. So they end up getting more exp than you because...

MULTIPLYING BY ZERO IS STILL ZERO
    • Up x 3
  6. xSalt

A lot of people are poor at math. Just the other day I was trying to explain to a poor kid that until he died a second time his session kd was still 42 (he went on a helluva streak in a maurader). Because he didn't understand the whole 42 / 1 = 42. And that his kd was in fact not 42 until he had died that first time. I found it hilarious, I don't think he appreciated the math lesson.
  7. Crayv

I remember in WoW in regards to the ranked arena system having people that were saying everyone could have an above average rating. I don't think they knew how averages worked.
  8. SwornJupiter

Nah, this wouldn't work. It already doesn't.

Better idea is to increase the nanite regeneration for each player, allowing each individual to more regularly pull more tanks, aircraft, maxes and other force multipliers to try to even out the playing field.
    • Up x 1
  9. Crayv

An actual power boost of some kind would also attract a lot of players to play that faction as everyone likes being OP.... and if everyone flocks to it.... well they won't be under pop'd anymore now would they?
  10. FBVanu

This is actually not bad, not bad at all.... combine that with an added XP bonus..
    Put both ideas together, and it might just get players to join the underpop... thus balancing the whole thing..
  11. Rostklump

Have they finally fixed the near infinite nanites for everyone they added with the resources revamp?

Anyway i think it would work better to give the overpopulated faction a reduction in xp insted of giving a bonus to the underpoped one, or do both.

As pointed out already getting a +x% bonus to xp when you are unpopulated so you die 10 times for every kill and combined with the fact that you wont cap any bases you still get less xp then going and joining a zerg of your own.

Make the xp penalty for overpopulation large enough so that a 90% pop gives you 0 xp for kills and cap alike and people will go look for a more even fight that actually gives them some xp.

Also i think the population should be measured locally not per continent of faction since doing so would end up punishing players for playing the faction they like or for playing with their friends in their current outfit.

Having some overpopulation on a faction is not such a big problem, even if one faction have a population advantage you can still get fairly even fights since the two other factions together will have more then enough population to counter them as long as they dont fight too much against each other.
    What is needed is some mechanism to make people want to have more even fights instead zerging for easy and guaranteed xp and the only way i can see that would accomplish that is making it less rewarding to zerg so that people will go away from them instead of being drawn to them.
  12. Vaphell

the problem is that there is no stick and the carrot alone doesn't cut it.
    There should be brutal penalty for overpopping. "Hurr durr you can't punish people for playing their faction or with their outfit or whatever". Yeah, that's BS because even ignoring the gameplay effect, blatant inefficient use of manpower is not something that should be rewarded because rewards = incentives guiding behavior. It's what made the system not really self-balancing.
    Not many people care there are not that many targets when they still get their share in cap xp and a solid base xp for each kill at near zero risk. **** like that should be actively punished to incentivize the right thing better, rewarding the underdog for taking it up the *** works only so much.

There should be penalties for overpopping and imo there should also be penalties for the low difficulty of the feat, eg low effort play styles like farming peasants with a lib should not yield 100xp a pop but 50 or 33, given the extremely lopsided nature of the encounter. Leveled playing field => base xp, hard mode (eg man vs machine) => fat payout which is already the case, easy mode (eg machine vs man => penalty). Imo it would produce a healthier gameplay, because force multipliers become a tactical choice not an SPM boost. Tanks would not be as motivated to park the bus and blast the **** out of spawns for lousy xp, nor ESF lolpodding lowly peasants would be really profitable.
  13. PrimePriest

Make pop XP bonus HEX based instead of continent based. Fighting 40vs60 and you now swim in certs (brings more people from other bases because they want as well to swim in certs....fight balances out)
  14. Rostklump

Totally agree so far.

Tell people that they can't play with their friends and many will go and play something else, not really a good idea if you want the game to remain alive and well.

Having a perfecly balanced faction globally doesnt help at all if you end up with two 33% factions attacking the last 33% faction which will then by outnumbered 2 to 1.
    Use the stick and carrot at a local level instead would punish them for doing so.
    Having one faction with 40% population is not a problem as long as those 40% are spread out fighting both the other factions so that while they are globally overpopulated locally they are not.

Punishing global overpopulation will just annoy people and still not solve any of the current problems its the local overpopulation that ruins gameplay.
  15. Demigan

Give them a higher resource gain as well. They need force multipliers to be able to fight them off somehow, so if you allow them to pull more vehicles (since they will lose them faster anyway) and give them the option to use more gadgets and utilities it helps balance it out.
  16. ModsFreeAreForTV

You're still forcing things on the player that will turn them away from the game. Out popping is what many people LOVE to do in Planetside. Why are we trying to get rid of an element that actually attracts players to the game?
  17. Vaphell

they can play, but if they happen to overpower the other side they shouldn't expect being showered with xp for having a pulse.
    I'd argue that being overpowered every day has driven away more people from the game than not giving full xp would ever do (though the grind can get old too). You almost never get that feeling in 32v32 BF.

note that i didn't specify which kind of overpop I have in mind. Specifics and implementation details can be discussed. I mentioned wasteful utilization of manpower which would imply tactical level and yes, its the more important one as far as gameplay enjoyment is concerned. Tactical level is what people actually experience, which when broken has them locked in spawns.
  18. CipherNine

If players are attracted to Planetside because they enjoy camping the spawnroom with rest of their zerg and watch the paint dry then this game is already doomed.
  19. Takara

Honestly the best thing to do is give them a little extra EXP. Once a population has 10% more then it's opponent they should get a few extra HP points. And it should get a bit more for every 10% above that. It gives them an actual better fighting chance.
  20. HVOP

If my main was part of a faction that was heavily overpoping, i wouldn't ever consider going to the underpop faction for some bonus XP, because i'd be leaving ALL the things i unlocked on my original character. What good is bonus XP for that situation?