Fps Drops on 4790k r9 280a

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by ErikSSB, Sep 18, 2015.

1. ErikSSB

Settings don't make a difference here I have literally tried everything. That includes vsync and smoothing, nothing works. I put everything on medium because I like being over 100+ fps constantly because I have a 144hz monitor but every now and then it drops to 50. When this happens it may not even be a moment where lots is going on. I just don't understand what the problem is. I have also tried turning shadows off etc.... nothing works. Please help me guys I just wanna play.

Specs:
    4790k cpu
    msi z97s sli krait
    16gb hyperx 1866 ram
    xfx r9 280a graphics card
    xfx 550w pro core power supply
    hyper 212 evo cpu cooler
    (nothing is overclocked)
    I have monitored temps, they are fine
  2. Skiptrace

It's your AMD GPU. The game runs all physics calculations through the Nvidia PhysX Engine, so your FPS is going to suffer because AMD GPU's can't process PhysX calculations because they don't have any driver support. Get a GTX 970, and you should see MASSIVE FPS improvements across not only PS2, but just about any game. The R9 280a is an underclocked card compared to the regular R9 280 and the 280X, The Clock speed is only in the 900's, which is crap for current day games. The 970 has a reference clock speed of 1050, with a Boost Clock of 1178, and most GPU's are factory overclocked, an example is the EVGA 970's which the highest tier one (Super SC ACS 2.0+) is factory OC'd to 1190 Core Clock and 1342 Boost clock, a HUGE improvement over your R9 280a's puny 827 Core Clock and 933 Boost Clock. My GTX 560 Core clocks at 850, and Boost Clocks to 950... You have a NEW card that is worse than the 4 Generation old GTX 560, Except it has more RAM...
  3. ErikSSB

but I should still be able to run the game if I can get a solid framerate like I said. I think I do have a regular 280 I put 280a because I couldn't find the one I bought on newegg anymore. Also I had a friend who played the game fine with a 290x, I know it's a much better card but the game doesn't HAVE to be ran on an nvidia card. There has to be a workaround until I buy the 980ti, it just doesn't make sense I can be at 150 fps and suddenly just drop to 50. Also you can't compare clock speeds from nvidia to amd cards, there completely different technologies.
  4. Skiptrace

It's the same principal in clock speeds though. They may use different tech, but it's all silicon chips and solder when you get right down to it. Nvidia goes with the efficent speed route, AMD does brute force and no brains route. Also, 980Ti is overkill unless you are doing 4k stuff. A 970 works just fine for 1080p. Hell, you could wait for the 970 8GB edition to roll out, and get a better deal with that.
  5. RainbowDash9

a 750 is what i used, well used to use. i ordered a 960. i could sell it to you o.o only want like 70-80
    #shameless
  6. ErikSSB

I got the money so I really don't care, It'll be worth it if I buy a 4k tv or something later. But does anyone have any real advice besides me buying a new card in the meantime? I'm not ready to give up just yet since I will probably give this card to my sister.
  7. Commander Beanbag

Well, I'll throw out some things that may or may not help.
    Update your drivers.
    Reinstall the game.
    Unpark the CPU.
    Check your BIOS and disable C-states.
    Close apps that you don't really need running.
    Keep task manager's performance history open. Keep an eye on it and check it when the fps drops happen. Could be something else running that spikes in usage every now and then. I had a similar problem with MSI's network genie software.
    Make sure windows' performance plan is set to high performance.
    Set the planetside process' priority to high.

Also, some questions: What operating system do you run, and what antivirus?

PS the 280 is a fine graphics card, I maintain a flawless 60 fps using a 4690k and 270x.
  8. ErikSSB

Literally have done all of that. I run win 10 64 bit and norton antivirus. By c state I assume you mean like c1 c6 etc
  9. ErikSSB

disabled c-state and it worked thank you so much dude
  10. Commander Beanbag

Hmm. Delete the useroptions file?
    Also, I'm not saying Norton is the issue, but that AV has a history of being problematic. Try disabling it before playing.
  11. ZenitHMaster

I'd reccomend deleting useroptions file in the game install and possibly searching the web for a good up to date one.
  12. ErikSSB

Disabling c-state fixed it bro. thank you so much