[Suggestion] Should Repair tools/medic tools require ammo?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Takara, Sep 18, 2015.

1. \m/SLAYER\m/

vehicles must use limited fuel, no more heat mechanic for vanu too
  2. Jolanar

Your proposed idea only seems to make your average gameplay even more tedious than it already is. You are effectively suggesting adding a grinding element, with, what appears to be no clear reason such a mechanic should exist. Current players already find it hard to stay logged in for more than 30 minutes a day because battles get incredibly tedious. There is a fundamental flaw in the current gameplay because per capita impact on a situation is very low. Players do not feel like they are making much of a difference. They pull a tank, it gets blown up very quickly, and they have not accomplished anything. Why would anyone want to struggle even more to feel like they are making an impact?

I could MAYBE see a new engineer tool that DOES require ammo refills from a terminal, however it has no heat mechanic and heals significantly more, possibly even a click-hold-until-charged-release-repair-reload mechanic that repairs over half of the durability in one go. The ammo would make sure that a sustained siege would need to be resupplied by a sunderer or terminal.
    • Up x 3
  3. Armcross

If they just finish the resource revamp your suggestion might already got implemented, currently it just 1st phase of 3 phase process of revamping game resource. Now I miss again the inventory system of PS1.
  4. MasterDemoman

I already use Nanite Auto-Repair because getting out of my comfy vehicle with leather seats and a built in McDonald's minibar to repair is suuuuch a hassle.
  5. Rentago

planetside 1 had ammo on armor and health repair tools.

Though the common complaint was that "everyone was a super soldier"
    there wasn't enough room to equip everything with ammo to spare.

The 100 ammo for the health and armor was enough to do some patch up jobs during a battle but that would run out. Really hate that from the beginning of PS2 the whole campaign behind this game was that "WE MADE EVERYTHING BETTER!" "PS1 WAS ALL ONE MAN ARMY AND THAT WAS DUMB SO WE REMOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT PS1 THIS TIME AROUND!"

nothing made me **** more fire than just watching this game develop like it had no leadership, goal, or idea on how to be planetside when it is a sequel to said game.

But we know why that is, the goal wasn't to make planetside, but battlefield the mmo where it was "TR vs NC" which in reality would be america vs russia.

There is a lot I wish was done, a lot that could and should have been done. However unless someone who has the money can buy out this game and tell people to do it right. Which requires a huge overhaul since a lot of content which is garbage needs to be removed.

We can get rid of more than half the guns in this game and simply combine them into one with alternate firemodes and attachments to modify it with instead of 7 different guns with each a single minor difference (one shoots slightly faster, another shoots slower, one has underbarrel attachments)

We could get rid of some of the image damaging cosmetics that insult the idea of the game (seriously these cosmetics disgust more people than make the game more appealing)

If it was me, inventory would be a thing, classes would be removed, weapons would serve a function, and tasteful standards for cosmetics would be a thing, looting corpses and stealing other faction vehicles too, but I ain't notch sitting on 2.5 billion dollars.

There is a fix and a direction to take this game to make it good, but as it currently sits that is impossible to happen, this game is dying a very slow and painful death where I am not convinced it will improve or even reach the idea of a complete game. It isn't that it is impossible, it just requires time, money, and someone to crack the whip on the developers to keep their goals met.

We've given them years, and they've only finally just managed to make unique gun models. We've given them years, and they've only just managed to remove barrels and terminals from the game to improve performance. Years of them saying "were adding drones, resources, revamps, huge content updates!" and a lot of that didn't happen, it was like they worked on a lot of content to ultimately decide not to release it at all.

The only reason they have anyone here, anyone at all is obvious and they abuse it all too much. They have no competition, no one else is doing anything comparable to what this game is doing. It may play like a bad knockoff of something from a certain other company, but beyond that one one else is trying to have 1000 players spawn camping eachother on a large map forever.

This is literally the only game that managed to pull off a guinness world record for having so many players simultaneously spawn camp eachother. No one else is even attempting to make a spawn camping simulator as huge as this one so we all end up here when we want to experience the worst sensation a game has to offer. (Developers refuse to fix a core issue of their game for years because they are in hardcore denial that PS1 did things better)
    • Up x 1
  6. Taemien

I'm going to say a big fat NO to this.

It nerfs skilled players as bad players won't ever hit the ammo limit since they'll just be respawning anyway. The reward for getting good is that you don't have to be slowed down.

New players and bad players simply should get better and they can be as good at the rest.
  7. FateJH

While I'm pensive about implementing this idea in the partial feature of just hitting the Medical Applicator and the Nano-Armor Kit and not touching on other points that are just as deserving, even I'm not under any dismissive idea that this idea has anything to do with punishing being good at the game or rewarding being bad at the game. The normal measurements of having "gotten good" is surviving longer and landing more reliable kills before one does die, plus a handful of good combat sense measures in between.

Point: being able to survive with low resources can also be considered a skill.
  8. Taemien

Its more of an annoyance than anything. If we're going to go this route, then we might as well drop tactical reloads. When you reload, the entire magazine is lost. Add in stamina/endurance (run too much and you pass out and respawn). Maybe even add in morale that is lowered from damage, being outnumbered, being rattled by nearby explosions and it affects CoF.

Adding something does need to have a purpose and it can't be too much of an annoyance. Calling it a skill is not a good point because adding QSOP movement to running would be a skill but no one here would play the game like that.
  9. FateJH

Asides from tactical reloads, as that is a real thing, though it's benefit is not always as straightforward as our use of it is, I actually like these ideas as "things to work with." The "morale" thing probably should probably only go as far as close-misses in Arma, but never far enough to be comparable to BF3 suppression mechanics.

What is QSOP movement?
  10. HadesR

Probably means QWOP

11. Takara

Basically this, I understand the idea has it's flaws. But I feel like some sort of change in a similar fashion would add a little more depth to an otherwise rinse and repeat motion. It would even give more of a reason for tanks to get a bit of a buff which most vehicle drivers seem to think they deserve. But if they want something they are going to have to either give in another spot...or prove they are not effective with what they have now, and the later I don't think is truthful.

In the end I at the very least feel the medical device needs a heat mechanic just like the Engi tool.
  12. Meeka

What I find hilarious; is that nearly all ground vehicles on Aurax use combustion engines from the 1980s, but require no fuel source; meanwhile, ESFs and Liberators use some sort of anti-gravity engines.
  13. CorporationUSA

No, but the medtool shouldn't be a nearly instant revive and max health when fully upgraded. It's so cheesy.
  14. Taemien

In BattleTech they still use ICE engines for conventional fighters, helicopters (both rotor blade and vtol like craft), tanks, and hovercraft. And thats set in the 31st and 32nd century, so I don't see the issue.

As for not requiring a fuel source, why would they? What's the furthest you've ever traveled? Warpgate to warpgate is 8-10km depending on continent. You really think the range should be less than that? Since we're not traveling long distances, logistics isn't really a concern.

Now if you want to advocate for larger 100x100km maps, that might be a different story. Even then.. you should be able to go around the entire parameter of the continent... even the Abrams gas guzzling tank IRL has an operating range of over 400km.

So sure.. lets add a 400km range to MBTs. It'd be pointless.. but someone might be farming around long enough to see the fuel indicator hit half. :p
  15. Meeka

No, if people want realism, you scale it down to map size... so, the tank would have to be refueled every 2nd or 3rd base.
  16. Taemien

Just to let you know, you fell into a trap.

Bases average 500-800m apart. So you're suggesting a tank is useless after traveling 1000-2000m. So what happens to a tank that has to detour, or pull off the beaten path to avoid ESFs or Libs? Its screwed, that's what. Unless this is the purpose you all want fuel for. So when a tank has to make a bad turn, its dead anyway (if we're going to do that, lets do it to infantry too, require food and water base to base).

So to cover that, we have to double the range. Every 5th or 6th base. But at that point, what is the purpose? Its a neat little UI element that some designer has to waste his time putting in. Nothing more.

If the maps were larger, and logistics and resources had a strategic flow. It MIGHT be an interesting mechanic.

But lets face it. BattleTech doesn't use fuel consumption in Total Warfare. There's only the basic rules in Tactical Operations. And even in Strategic Operations it is abstracted. The only time it works is in a simulator type game like Elite: Dangerous. But even in that game, fuel lasts for a good while.
  17. Lemposs

Engineer I wouldn't mind, but for medic? It is a class that already isn't particularly well represented on the battlefield, making it more of a hassle to play them, certainly doesn't sound like a good idea.
  18. AxiomInsanity87

Game of thrones is just a comical wench banging series with story on the side and midgets.

I am serious.
    • Up x 1
  19. FateJH

Oh, so it's p orn.

Seriously, the stuff they get away with putting on TV these days. :p
  20. AxiomInsanity87

It's highly overrated.