Devs still fails in controlling population.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dreez, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Alan Kalane

pff Hitler didn't just throw all the soldiers in one place,otherwise Aliants could simply walk into Berlin without any opposition.
  2. FBVanu

Please, not this again.
    an overpopped enemy is just a target rich environment .. so many enemies to shoot at..
    beautiful zergs asking to be destroyed..
    so many XP/Certs to be earned..

The best times in this game are when a faction is almost Warpgated.. I immediately join the under pop and get plenty of kill streaks.., plus the added XP bonus in-game, plus a small squad bonus.. so many good times..

Stop caring about a continent or an alert.. there is no winning in this game, there are only battles.. so,pick the ones where you can do the most damage, get the most kills, earn the most points.. ergo: join the under pop.. every time!

If you want even pops, those can be had in Call of Doodoo
  3. ModsFreeAreForTV

Of course he had defensive lines but for the most part he'd concentrate his forces and storm them against enemy strongholds. It does work when done right.
  4. Alan Kalane

Yes and that's the point. I want this to be possible! Furthermore I want this to be a valid strategy, but I also want it to have consequences:
    - troops who fight in one place can't fight somewhere else(currently redeployside allows for just that)
    - more soldiers = more logistics (currently there are no logistics)
    - you have to cover your flanks and supply lines (no supply lines, flanking and even cutting off is pointless)
    - sometimes a smaller force can be almost as deadly or deadlier than a large force for ex. when fortified(this is the only thing that works right in PS2, with proper leadership a small force can repel a much larger army.Unfortunately the leadership tools are very basic which makes leading a very hard and ungreatful task so not many people want to lead)

those are basic systems which have to be implemented to fully achieve PS2's idea of player-driven warfare. Artificially forbidding players to go somewhere is the opposite and a step in the wrong direction.
  5. CorporationUSA

People shouldn't want to play on a map where they have a high pop advantage. There needs to be disadvantages to it. A pop-up message saying "Your faction currently has a significant population advantage on this continent, so you will be receiving an XP penalty if you choose to fight there" when someone tries to travel to a high-pop continent would be good, of course followed by an XP penalty if they choose to go anyway.
    • Up x 1
  6. ModsFreeAreForTV

But once again you're taking away the main reason a lot of people play when doing this.
  7. Jubikus

Agreed i would love Double exp for farming the Zerg i mean i always lose the base but the amount of tasty kills i get out of those crowded rooms with Grenade bandalier sticky nades is just too good to pass up and all thos guys just sitting around hoping someone leaves the spawn room ahh 1 second and bam their face is gone another free kill but double Xp on top of that count me in.
    • Up x 1
  8. PWGuy93

There was a sort of solution posted by the devs in the now defunct roadmap related to energy use.

Too many in an area and energy is depleted, their shields fail, their weapons fail, et.

That wouldn't stop overpopulation on a continent, but it would be the stick as opposed to the carrot (giving away XP) and could push players to spread out across the map allowing for counters by the underpopulated.

Think of it this way, the more enemies in the area, the more power YOU have against those enemies.

It would also have a social impact, instead of seeing a zerg and jumping on the bandwagon, players would avoid the zerg and seek out their own action. Of course the Hex system would have to be altered to make this work, would love to see it on the test server in action...
  9. Crator

I don't not believe they ever tried to control pops other then continent pop caps and locking. Someone else said the other day they should make it so you get no experience for capturing a base without enemy at it. That's a great idea!
  10. CorporationUSA

I don't see how. People play for large battles, there would still be large battles. People don't play to completely obliterate the other team with superior numbers. In fact, most people who have been playing for a while prefer fights with even pops, or even with their team having a slight disadvantage(it means more enemies for them to farm).

Do you play this game because you like to steam roll the other team with greater numbers? That's not very different from smurfing in order play in the a lower skill bracket because you want to feel like a god.
  11. ModsFreeAreForTV

I don't agree with this nor from what I've seen people say they agree. People like to overpower the enemy easily, there's a certain fun that's with it.
  12. CorporationUSA

People like to smurf to, and people like to exploit. You can't give everyone what they want. And the other factions don't want to be streamrolled in a losing battle anyway.

And it doesn't matter as they could still fight with a pop advantage. They would just suffer an XP penalty.
  13. JojoTheSlayer

I would argue the issue is ReDeploy hopping.
    With smaller numbers you cant do anything strategic without every zerger "double ReDeploy" teleport to the base you are attacking with 20 guys... Apart from a AMS, which can be hacked out of a terminal at your target location, there is very little logistics in this game.

The paradox is, too much logistics and it will hurt those that play the game to zerg. Too little and you **** outfits that spend allot of time organizing. Only to be wiped out by a 3-1 odds moments later because of zerg teleporting.
  14. Crator

Guess the game needs a mode that allows everyone to play one empire with a minimal number of AI bots to defend the bases. That would suffice for these types of players. That's not really what Planetside is about though.