Your ideal PS2.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by WeRelic, Sep 11, 2015.

1. ModsFreeAreForTV

Planetside isn't and never will be tactical. Having someone behind a monitor bark at you to do menial tasks isn't tactical, nor is it cool or fun in any way. It's a run and gun shooter and to say it's anything else is arrogant and corny.
  2. Pat22

Just because that's how you prefer to play the game doesn't mean the other aspect of it doesn't exist. Tactics are part of Planetside. Tactics dominate Planetside, whether you like it or not.
    • Up x 2
  3. ModsFreeAreForTV

So does a big nasty, outnumbering Zerg. Whether you like it or not.
  4. xSalt

You are both right, zergs can easily dominate. But a small squad, of good players, with classes that support each other, can hold a point against overwhelming odds for quite some time.
    • Up x 3
  5. ModsFreeAreForTV

I just don't see the point in the "tactics" and "team play" when it's easy to win without that ****.
  6. Pat22

And a larger force of coordinated squads can bring an outnumbering zerg to a halt.
    • Up x 2
  7. Raysen

I feel like PS2 is really too arcade to allow a gamestyle like RO. On the other hand, it already feels like Halo on a big scale (came on, don't tell me Vanu Priests aren't Covenants under cover :p). The NC armors beside look almost like MK Spartans.. (the heavy assault especially).

Yet, the game is TOO much on the arcade play. It would feel a lot better if it had a path like battlefield, with better weapon balance/upgrade and gameplay (crawling and similar would be nice. And how about bipods? God I want a bipod on the Gauss Saw :p)
    • Up x 1
  8. TheShrapnelKing

In simple terms:

An RTS, but with all the units being player controlled.
    • Up x 1
  9. TomGranger

4 things in the order of do-ability:

1. Fix redeploy so it actually takes you to good fights, and always drops you with a pod (so cool).

2. Bring back old alerts or better yet add new smaller alert that have conditions (like only sunders)

3. Continental lattice with urban battle islands. (This is what I really wanted in the 2.0 update.)

4. Outfit features. Whether you are in one or not they are the only thing that drives and keeps this game alive and fun.

Currently it is a glorified arena shooter because of the way alerts and continent locking are setup, when it could be a immersive and persistent world filled with life fueled by the players.
    • Up x 1
  10. TomGranger

11. Jubikus

More dakka.
  12. FieldMarshall

PS1 with better graphics
  13. WeRelic

I'm seeing a lot of desire for a PS1 redux with the current graphics. Interesting. Wonder how many people would've opened their wallet had they just done that.

This so many times.
    PS2 is probably the closest any FPS has really come to this kind of game, scale wise. There is another game that tried it on a smaller scale, though I can't seem to remember it.

Tactic:
    An action or strategy carefully planned to achieve a specific end.
    This is typically used in reference to small scale, squad or individual strategies.
    For example, you use tactics when you decide to do anything other than run directly at the enemy flailing your weapon, thus we have tactics.

Strategy:
    A plan of action or policy designed to achieve a major or overall aim
    This is typically used in a larger scale, faction-wide (when everyone is agreeing, anyway) setting.
    For example, when an alert is close, often, command chat will discuss which bases to attack/defend/pull out of, thus we have large scale strategy.

Teamwork:
    The combined action of a group of people, especially when effective and efficient.
    And here we are, back to the zergling discussion. If you have to remain near others to garner kills (as you yourself have explicitly stated), then your performance is being made more effective by the presence of your team, thus we have teamwork in-game.

So, if you care to continue throwing terms around that you've shown to blatantly misunderstand, I'd be happy to keep at you. You're in the wrong here. I respect your opinion, as it's just as valid as anyone else's, but at the end of the day, opinions can be wrong, as yours, in this instance, is. I can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that tactics, strategy and teamplay have an effect on the game, and have done so. The burden of proof is now yours. If you can prove to me, beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is no teamwork/strategy/tactics at play, I'll admit I'm wrong.

Zerging is a tactic, and could be considered a large scale strategy as well as a type of teamplay. It may be a stupidly easy one, but you cannot win without that team, bottom line. I challenge you to find a 96+ base owned by enemies, go there by yourself and capture it. Record it, then I'll digress and admit I was wrong, and that you don't need team work. Until then, your point has been refuted by myself, and several others. Let it go, or leave it out of this thread, please and thank you.

Loved the post, and I agree with all of it, just wanted to highlight this part. Sadly, it is an arena shooter at the moment, but I don't think it's just alerts/cont locking, I think it has a lot to do with the point capture system. I don't know what would work better, but king of the hill can't be the best option for capture mechanics. Just seems to leave a lot of ground uncontested.

Also, wanted to touch on the persistent part. I would love to see vehicle debris stay around waiting for an engi to deconstruct it, rather than just disappearing (I know, I know, server load), or permanent player buildings/destruction. A simple change like that would allow for actual roadblocks, ad-hoc cover for infantry even after the vehicle has been destroyed, and a few other things I'm forgetting.

I'm still digging through the some of the walls of text that got posted, but I am reading the whole thread. Hopefully the devs look through this thread. Not counting on it, but there are definitely some fantastic ideas here. Keep it up guys, but lets try to keep it civil! I'd hate to see another well-meaning thread locked.
  14. DeadlyOmen

Get rid of lattice. Awful idea...the spawn of forumside, and it shows.
    • Up x 1
  15. Pikachu

Physics as well I bet. ;)
    • Up x 1
  16. WeRelic

I think that might be a little unbalanced placing all conquered players on the winning faction. It should be split 50/50 (not going for any realism here, just balance), but I do like the idea of having an actual win condition. Thing is, what happens when the last faction standing has dominated everyone? Unless you're talking about an instanced world system where we all start on a fresh continent, fight until a winner is declared, then start all over again.

Yeah, it's hardly an ideal system. It's definitely a step in the right direction from the old hex system, but I gotta agree, it leaves a lot to be desired.
  17. 60rockstar

Make it subscription only (like the original Everquest). No more of this F2P P2W garbage. Every item in the game must be earned, created, or stolen
    • Up x 1
  18. Lenox

A PS2 where I can fly to the moon with no skybox to stop me (and there'd be a map there!), or fly from one continent to the next without someone shouting at me to leave.
    • Up x 1
  19. VonStalin

My ideal planetside would not have maxes in it.
    Heavy shield would be 30% less strong.
    Infiltrators would be completely invisible while crouch walking.
    Warp gates would be capturable like any other base, except they would provide the gate to another continent.
    LA and engineer would have different weapons.
    There would be a lot of buildings and other structures between bases.
  20. ModsFreeAreForTV

Yes, just wipe the continents like we normally do after the war and an after action report is given.

THIS. Yes make the damn game either a one time fee or subscription based, free-to-play always comes with overdrawn problems and horrible players.