[Suggestion] Helmet visor overlays

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CMDante, Sep 9, 2015.

1. CMDante

Pretty simple idea, anyone that's played Republic Commando knows what I'm talking about. Giving each faction an overlay on their screen that makes it look like they're looking out of a helmet. Huge bonus points for overlays specific to each helmet.

I'd post some relevant pictures for examples but I'm on my mobile. What does everyone think?
    • Up x 1
  2. Elkybam

I get it, and I think some players would want it to be optional so there isn't too much distracting overlays. Faction MBTs already implement their own HUD so it seems reasonable.
    [IMG]
    Here's your example.
    • Up x 1
  3. CMDante

Just like that, they should be non-intrusive enough that players won't mind, otherwise everyone would shut them off to gain an edge. Really I just think it would be a neat way to make the HUD look more natural.
    • Up x 1
  4. Casterbridge

If it was done well I wouldn't complain.
    • Up x 2
  5. Kcalehc

You're assuming that the HUD is generated by a helmet/visor, it's equally likely it could be explained away by Nanites in the eyes/brain.

Also, some cosmetics do not include a visor, would players with those then not get a HUD?

An additional HUD option for players that want it, but not a forced integral part of the game.
  6. FateJH

I don't mean to point it out but we do have a HUD that actually delivers information and most people would like to discriminately turn parts of it off. Why would an overlay that serves only aesthetic purposes be any different?
    • Up x 1
  7. CMDante

Because it would be cooler and kinda immersive, that's it.
    • Up x 2
  8. ZDarkShadowsZ

What if they're wearing no helmet? :p
  9. Hammerlock

[IMG]
    :D
  10. ZDarkShadowsZ

[IMG]

Though I have to admit, I hated the Mass Effect visors. I always wanted my Shepard to look pretty! D:
  11. Keidranex

Augmented reality contact lenses. Or just modified retinas, either work ;)
  12. BlueSkies

So... you want the HUD we have to be curved?
  13. CMDante

Going with the HUD contact lenses idea for people that don't use a helmet/want to turn the special HUD off sounds like a fine explanation.

Sort of, just something to make the HUD a little more interesting.
  14. Lenox

It would be cool if the HUD had some faction flavor to it.

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  15. CMDante

Exactly what I was going for, thank you. That's probably a little too big for actual gameplay, but a down-sized version of that would be perfect.
  16. tf2hero

metroid prime anybody?
    [IMG]
    • Up x 2
  17. Elkybam

Helmet reactions such as rain splashes and brief moments where you can see Samus's reflection added to the immersion of the game that contributed to one of the best games ever rated. I sure hope Daybreak took notes.
  18. SamReye

Helmets should be standard, and taking it off means your entire hud disappears! :D

Adds some context to the random crap all over the screen, but also gives us an excuse to ask for a cleaner, nicer looking, ES displays.
  19. Shadowomega

Maybe some day they will add in customizable for those that want it, but not likely soon as the HUD is currently one of the most performance tanking part of the game. I remember one of the UI devs that was brought in for the PS4 port tweeted that the HUD coding was a tangled mess.
  20. FieldMarshall

As long as its optional
    • Up x 1