[Vehicle] inb4 Gatekeeper gets nerfed into the ground

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SW0V, Sep 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMDante

Again, even hitting every shot it deals less damage than either weapon. The Halberd and Enforcer also hit significantly harder than the GK, so a bit more work is expected.
    The GK is objectively inferior to the Saron already, as it does less damage at best than the Saron does tapping shots, also with no drop.

So it's okay for the VS to have a long range no drop high DPS weapon, but not for the TR? Leave the Gatekeeper as is, stats are already showing that it isn't over performing.
    • Up x 3
  2. Cynicismic

I've seen this sort of stuff happen before in past games I've gotten into. When something new is introduced, the developers will make it somewhat overpowered, so that everyone in that particular Empire, (or preference, depending on which game we are addressing), will frantically purchase the weapon, or vehicle, or what-have-you, and they will enjoy it because it is arguably too powerful. Henceforth, they will rant and rave about how much they love this new weapon, which will usually encourage more players to purchase it. Moreover, because the weapon is too powerful by whatever degree, a lot of hype will occur within the Community, (like here, on the forums), where people will either state openly or simply complain that it is overpowered. And guess where this goes? More people are encouraged to buy it.

New content where the novelty aspect is already appealing is made too powerful so that more and more people are urged to buy it. Then, once the novelty has worn off, (let's say, after a few months), it gets nerfed to the point where it perhaps becomes underpowered. Such a scheme is effectively a form of a cash-grab at best. It's happened plenty of times in plenty of other large games with a vast player-base, for instance, in World of Tanks, where a new tank is introduced that is blissfully overpowered, people are encouraged to spend money to help them get it, then they get hit hard by the nerf hammer. I doubt that PlanetSide 2 is any different.

Even so, I think that the Gatekeeper should be left the way it is. The TR weapons, unless used by someone who really knows what they're doing, aren't the biggest performers per fight, unlike the NC and VS guns. The VS guns are, weapon-for-weapon, easier to use, as myself, the newbie with the pew-pew laser, has found out. The same applies to the NC in my brief though largely informative time trying out this faction. The TR guns on the whole are lacking somewhat. That said, I've never done so well with any weapon then I have with the TRAC-5.

Meh. If they nerf it, they nerf it. We can't change that. Even if the Gatekeeper meant that the TR punch-bag could fight back, they're still a faction that can hold their own, just like all the others.
  3. CMDante

You've over complicated it, we'll use MBT figures.

Saron is 300 rpm, 284 damage per shot(not including blast)
    300/60= 5
    5*284= 1420

But someone claimed you can only fire every .5 seconds to maintain accuracy, so it becomes

120/60= 2
    2*284= 568

Compared to a Gatekeeper
    160 rpm @ 170dmg
    160/60= 2.66

2.66*170= 453.3
    • Up x 1
  4. Jolanar

I want a link to your statistics, because I am pretty sure that you are just wrong.
  5. axiom537

Yes, it hits less, but it hits more frequently. And the stats do show it is over performing and they will continue too, it has no downsides.

The Saron is 6 shots which have a velocity of 300m/s and while they do not have drop, it is penalized with a COF bloom. Enforcer has 8 shots a velocity of 300m/s and no COF, but it has a DROP....Are you seeing a pattern here

The Gatekeeper, has 26 shots a velocity of 500m/s, no Drop and virtually no COF.

You can't have it all...You say it hits for less, which is true, but it fires 3-4x's faster and has 26+ rounds in the clip...

Reduce the velocity to 300m/s and give it either a COF penalty or a drop, just like the other two weapons. It hits for less but fires 3 - 4 x's as fast which equalizes the DPS. Which is why I suggest a drop, the COF penalty isn't a good option on a weapon that is spraying fire at range. Up close is another story, because COF won't be as much of an issue.
  6. gartho33

woh now, mind your numbers... saying that the GK does 120% "more" damage than the Saron is saying that it does more than double the damage. lets look at your math....
    Saron:
    Gate Keeper:

even your Math does not support this... what you have found (assuming correct math) is that the GK does ~20.72% "more" damage per mag than the Saron. Watch your English, it will get you into trouble some day...
    • Up x 1
  7. Jolanar

This is also an assumption that every single shot is landing. Unless your target is out in the open and at medium to close range, you will not land EVERY shot.
  8. Mxiter

man a gun with 2000m/s, 1000 ammo and a 1500RPM must be OP, or maybe each bullet deals 1 damage and it would sucks hard.
  9. Mongychops

Mate, if as your calculations dictated, the Saron could destroy a Prowler with 1 magazine to the frontal armour, you can be sure that I would be keeping it quiet. However in truth reloads matter, especially at long ranges where accuracy is less than 100%.
  10. CMDante

When I say "Hits for less" I mean "Less DPS" Which is true compared to either other ESAV weapon. As a side note; the GK-H has 20 shots, the big one has 30, but damage per mag is a TR trait(No, really)

If you were to say to me "It could use a longer reload time" I'd say "Umm, yeah you may be right." But instead all the cries are to nerf the CoF or drop, which aren't at all fair.
  11. Villanuk

The thing is, i feel people are looking at the GK the wrong way. What is the purpose of the GK, what is it intended for?
    It seems like all the ideas are to fall in line with the Saron and Enforcer but be weaker. I feel ( just my interpretation ) looking at the mechanics of it that it has a different purpose.

I feel its designed for sustained suppressive fire. Low damage but accurate with HV to hold back zergs. All the suggestions are reduce velocity, add cof and add bullet drop and not once has anyone said that it would need increase in damage to compensate. If we applied all this then we would have another factuer failure on the TR hands again.

So Bullet Drop. Cant do that, you cant see the projectiles in flight. The enforcer you can.
    COF, well you can but you will loose the purpose of the GK ( IMO), but if it were to go that way, you would need a buff in damage.
    Velocity, I would see this as the best option if anything were to happen after some extensive play time to evaluate it.
    Another option is to reduce the amount of ammo and increase the reload time.
  12. Mongychops

Actually, my sentence made perfect sense, the reason I phrased it the way that I did, was referring back to the original post that the person I was replying to challenged me on. It's only misleading if you aren't paying attention to phrasing.
  13. axiom537

Was that straw man you built tough to knock over?
  14. CMDante

DPS and damage per magazine are highly different things. The DPS is what I said, sustained vs burst damage is an age-old debate. The Saron very clearly features high burst damage with a lengthy reload to keep it in check, the GK is the reverse of that, less damage per second but little downtime.
  15. Call-Me-Kenneth

The gatekeeper is fantastic against infantry, the speed needs to go down, by a lot. in fact, the trade off of the gun has to be low projectile speed, i don't mind the no drop and no CoF, that's fine so long the projectiles cant hit other harassers so easily thanks to their speed, and with a lower splash, they cant farm infantry either.

it hits like a PPA, with the added bonus of excellent anti vehicle performance. not balanced.
  16. Mongychops

Right, no weapon will have 100% accuracy at long range on moving targets in an in game situation, but you appear to be saying that a weapon with 500 m/s projectiles will have significantly lower accuracy than a weapon that has 300 m/s projectiles, which doesn't sound right to me...
  17. Collin

So basicly tr cant have a long range es gun at all. VS how about you get the gatekeeper we take the betegeuse and the saron
    • Up x 2
  18. CMDante

It takes a GK 5 shots to kill an infantry dood with no flak or nanoweave and has almost no splash damage. It takes a PPA 3.
    • Up x 1
  19. Mongychops

Wrong again, damage per magazine in this case is irrelevant, what you are talking about is "sustained DPS" compared with "burst DPS"

I would hardly call the Saron's reload lengthy, it is 2.5 seconds certed, and you must be exposed for at least 50% of that time. Once you add in the time it takes to actually move in and out of cover, you are exposed well over half the time. Then this is all assuming you are in the ideal terrain.
  20. Ronin Oni

... Nerf Vortex?

IIRC those things are pulling some pretty bad numbers, and the only MAX AV weapon performing worse is the Fracture (which is well agreed are in sore need of buff).

I'm not on the nerf GK train though. It's possible it might need some minor tweaking but I would keep the torches and pitchforks locked up for the moment.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.