[Vehicle] inb4 Gatekeeper gets nerfed into the ground

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SW0V, Sep 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KirthGersen

MAXes have almost no mobility if compared to vehicles and being used mostly in tower defence scenarios. Ravens also have pretty restricted range last few months. Lancers and Vortexes need to be charged to deal really good damage, and charging takes time. I've used it all and found Ravens the easiest thing to use ofc. But - again - MAX is not a tank or Harasser.

Will see how GK works in further. Anyway if tank fun will be broken (I remember these times when 4-5 Prowlers were anchored on every Indar cliff) then I'll provide more Hornets and ****:rolleyes:

Also missing sound is not a GK exclusive bug. In a big battles it can affect almost any weapon, oftnely it's Mana AV, ESF nose and sometimes even TankBuster. You just getting hits or being destroyed in your tank silenly.
  2. Kanil

Not really, no. If it does, it's so minor as to be imperceptible -- it shoots where you point it, every time.
  3. Ballto21

exactly

im not saying nerf it to piss, all it needs is the same COF bloom a saron gets or something similar.

It would need you to feather your shots at range, lowering damage consistency and you can still dump in cqc
  4. CMDante

It does, and a slight bloom to go with it, which is more than the Enforcer has. And less DPS than an Enforcer.
    • Up x 1
  5. KnowFear

OK, for those of you pointing at the stats on the Gatekeeper (like VKPU or whatever) you are missing a basic point that EVERY SINGLE NEW WEAPON has. To wit: the most experienced players have the most available certs (or the ability to generate them) so any new weapon, whether it is the Blackheand, or the crossbox, or the Gatekeeper stats will be skewed for the first few months because those people using them will be proportionally better than the general pop. Does anyone else remember the kerfluffle over EVERY. OTHER. SINGLE. NEW. WEAPON. that comes out? FFS.

As to the COF, ROF, magazine size, damage output, etc., maybe this weapon is better than (insert other weapon here). So what? The vanguard "I Win" shield is the single best tank upgrade in the game, always has been. The evasiveness of the Magrider is infinitely better than the vanguard or prowler... so what? The profile of the scythe is the best in the game, head on... so what?

I've used the gatekeeper for more than a day of game time during the past week, both as a driver and gunner and both on my prowlers and buggies. It has its points (long range sniping of unattended sunderers being high among them). It may or may not have more damage output than, say, a halberd but so what? If I'm driving a buggy with a halberd I can get into hiding or evade between reloads whereas with the gatekeeper I have to remain exposed the entire firing cycle.

I can tell you from my experience with the gatekeeper that those people complaining the most are those that either bring up sunderers then don't bother monitoring them, and those trying to sit near a farm spot outside a spawn room with their HE lightnings and being aghast that anyone can target them accurately from long range. The weapon can hit air but the TTK is so long you have to be brain dead to sit and take it long enough to matter. Ditto for attacking infantry at long range... yes I've picked off some snipers and maxes with it and fairly easily... because they haven't bothered moving. These are the same numbskulls I would be picking off with my 150 Titan in one shot instantly instead of 6-10 shots or more with a gatekeeper.

Instead of moaning and whining about the gatekeeper and being complicit in the introduce new weapon, entice people to purchase new weapon, nerf new weapon, ***** about stupid game company cycle, lets change up and address the legitimate concerns of those using the new NC and VS weapons. I think most people would agree the VS gatling could use either a complete rework or perhaps a small accuracy buff to make up for its lower DPS than the Vulcan. The Mjolner could use slightly longer range, in my view.
    • Up x 3
  6. Mongychops

AFAIK the U in KPU stands for "uniques" which refers to "unique users" not "unique uses". This is most obvious when you look at the infantry weapon stats on oraclestats it is implausible that the Orion is equipped only 4300 times a day, but each time it is equipped the average player kills 12.32 people. Therefore, the KPU stat would increase because each user will be using it for longer than normal in a more target rich environment.

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure I'm not.
  7. Kanil

It's at most 3 pixels, at 400 meters, during a full mag dump.

Any CoF, bloom, or bullet drop it has is completely trivial, and irrelevant in virtually every single situation.
    • Up x 1
  8. CMDante

It's .05 per shot, same bloom as a Cycler or any handful of other weapons. The weapon just shoots slow enough that the CoF never gets very large. As far as "mag dumping", I don't think 2.6 rounds per second really qualifies.
  9. axiom537

I think the Gatekeeper in terms of TTK when landing all shots is about even with the Enforcer and Saron, which is fine. I think the issue is that it is too easy to land shots on targets at ANY range, because of the velocity and next to no COF. The Saron has COF and the enforcer has slower velocity and drop. The Gatekeeper, just doesn't have a downside and you can argue it is its damage, but when you have 26+ rounds,that are pin point accurate, that completely negates the lower damage per round.

I think if the Gatekeeper had the velocity of its shot reduced to 300 m/s, and the rockets had drop, then it would be fine as the gunners would need to work much harder to put rockets on target, they will still have an easier time because they have 26+ round per clip to walk their shots into a target, till they find the range and drop, which is what is needed on the Enforcer and halberd. But having near 100% accuracy is simply way too much...
  10. Kanil

Firing the weapon as fast as the weapon possibly fires, in order to maximize it's bloom. As in, literally worst possible case scenario for the weapon, I had to adjust my aim four times to aim precisely enough that I was able to miss some shots and hit others.

It was actually genuinely difficult to miss a shot due to CoF using the Gatekeeper. At 400 meters, around render range for me. I don't think it's relevant to the discussion.
  11. CMDante

That would render the weapon useless. Remember the Fractures? At MOST it might need a little bit larger max CoF.
    • Up x 1
  12. CMDante

It does less damage than a. Enforcer or Saron and is easier to hit with, what's the issue here, exactly?
  13. Kanil

The issue is that you quoted my post to correct me about it having a CoF, and I don't see that as relevant. I'm talking about the weapon's accuracy, and ease of use. You're the one mentioning it's other stats. As such, I will simply quote my first post back to you, because it already summed up my concerns with the weapon.

14. CMDante

"Mindlessly point and click, but not as powerful as the others."
    You don't seem to realize that it's trading in versatility and raw damage to be so accurate. It's garbage against infantry and kills even heavy armor slower than the others. It deserves to be so easy to use because of these things.
    • Up x 1
  15. Mongychops

Nope, long range DPS of the GK is >20% more than the Saron HRB, due to the Saron HRB requiring 0.5 seconds CoF reset between shots. While the Saron HRB's higher CQC DPS is more than offset by the P2-120 AP's damage advantage over the FPC, so the Prowler doesn't need to give up short range advantage against the Magrider.
  16. CMDante

Your math is incorrect, even if you only fire the saron every half second it will produce superior damage.
    • Up x 1
  17. Collin

I see the VS whine army already started! Lets have a laught. The Gatekeeper is a good place and its in game performance already proves its not op. Again to all vs you little ....... lets talk about lmg first bevore you can even demand a single thing
    • Up x 2
  18. pnkdth

Wouldn't matter. TR players would still be whining about things that were nerfed over a year ago.
  19. axiom537

300 m/s doesn't render the Enforcer & Saron worthless nor does 275 m/s render the Halberd Worthless. ALL of those weapons are long range AV and ALL have a velocity equal to or less then 300 m/s. The Saron rather then having drop has a COF penalty, while the Enforcer has no COF, but a drop in the shot...

Why you would want to give it a COF penalty on a weapon that fire 26+ projectiles is beside me. Reduce it's velocity to 300 m/s just like the Enforcer and Saron and then either give it a drop or a COF penalty, just like the other two and it should be balanced. Personally, I think giving it a drop over a COF penalty, considering it is a hold down your mouse and spray the target with rockets.
  20. Mongychops

OK, I could be wrong I'll show my working:

Assumption: Both are are same damage type

Saron HRB:

Damage per magazine

6 * 284 = 1704 damage (medium ordnance)

TIme to unload magazine is the firing delay * number of shots - 1

0.5s * ( 6 - 1) = 2.5 s

Reload time fully certed (2.5 s) + time to empty magazine (2.5 s) = 5 seconds

1704 damage / 5 s = 340.80 DPS with CoF reset

Gatekeeper:

Damage per magazine (fully certed)

36 * 170 = 6120 damage (medium ordnance)

0.375 s * (36 - 1) = 13.125 s

Reload time (uncerted due to magazine size) (1.75 s) + 13.125 s = 14.875 s

6120 damage / 14.875 s = 411.43 DPS

( 411.43 DPS / 340.80 DPS ) * 100 = 120.72 %

Therefore, the GK's DPS at long range is more than 120% that of the Saron HRB, as well as having 166.67 % the velocity.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.