[Vehicle] TR Gatekeeper: I paid 550 certs for a weaker basilisk???

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tanelorn, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Tanelorn

Gatekeeper:
    Dmg: 160 all ranges
    RPM: 160
    MuzVel: 500

Basilisk:
    Dmg: 250-167 at 60m
    RPM: 350
    MuzVel: 550

So.... you can figure this out pretty quick. Who in their right mind will use this??? It DEFINITELY does not belong to a harasser, which needs quick acting AT weapons. With the loud report, highly visible shots, and horrible TTK on armor, this weapon fills NO niches.

Note: this is the harasser stats. The Prowler version does 170, not 160 LOLZ!
    • Up x 1
  2. Hammerlock

welcome to planetside :D
  3. Campagne

The Gatekeeper's power comes from its insane ease of use and accuracy over very long ranges, whereas a Basilisk is very inaccurate and has a short effective range.
    • Up x 4
  4. ColonelChingles

Keep in mind that raw damage numbers are put through weapon type modifiers to figure out their actual damage.

The Basilisk, for example, is classified as a HMG so a vehicle like the Lightning will resist 75% of the "sticker" damage. Thus the 167 damage Basilisk actually only does 41.75 damage per shot.

The Gatekeeper is too new so we don't know the weapon type modifier for sure, but if it shares the Enforcer/Saron/Halberd niche then it will be classified as "Medium Anti-Armour Ordnance". To a Lightning, all Medium Anti-Armour Ordnance does an extra 50% damage. So your 160 damage Gatekeeper will actually do 240 damage per shot.

Damage Per Shot
    Gatekeeper- 240
    Basilisk- 41.75

That's why it's important to look at weapon type modifiers to figure out actual damage. ;)
    • Up x 16
  5. PasitheeVS

You paid 550 certs for a clearly OP weapon that is going to be nerfed soon.
  6. Sebastien

Keep using the Halberd or Vulcan then. Nobody is forcing you to use these weapons.
  7. SwornJupiter

It's less viable than the Saron...
    With the Saron you can still survive in cqc by dumping your mag in like 1 second.
    With the Gatekeeper, if you get caught with your pants down, you're dead no matter what you try.

So in that sense, Saron is more versatile = better overall
    • Up x 1
  8. Kristan

uh-huh...

http://gfycat.com/WetHugeClam
    • Up x 1
  9. Demigan

It's called "weapon specific damage reduction"
    FIrst the easy way: If the damage resistances hasn't changed the Gatekeeper can kill Sunderers as fast as a Vulcan. Can you do that with a Basilisk? No. This already shows that it's better against vehicles than the Basilisk. Also my experience so far against one is that they are much better against infantry due to better accuracy than the Basilisk.

A Phoenix does what, 750 damage? Yet it hits any vehicle with the power of a Decimator which deals 1335 damage. So despite a difference in damage of almost 50%, they deal the same damage to vehicles?

All damage listed is the damage it does against infantry. Against any other unit type it has a specific damage increase or decrease. If I remember correctly Walkers have a 60% damage reduction against Liberators (correct me if I'm wrong, it was a high damage reduction anyway). All AP canons have a damage increase against other ground vehicles. No Rocketlauncher deals 3000 damage, yet the Decimator, standard Rocketlauncher and Phoenix deal (near enough) 3000 damage against ESF.
  10. Tanelorn

Thanks for that. Good insight.
  11. Villanuk

I think its to early to make a judgment call yet. I have brought it ( 9000 certs, so need to loose them) i could use it much last night due to the server problems, but my gunner did kill a harasser with it :D

What i thought was wrong, the thermal optics are 500 certs :eek:, thats nearly as much as the GK,?
  12. LodeTria

Was a bug, it's back to 200 now.
    • Up x 1
  13. Villanuk

I might have guessed as brought something else :(
  14. MichaelS

That's what came to my mind using it the first time. That thing is a freakin' sniper rifle on a tank. No bloom and low drop.
    • Up x 1
  15. patoman

Basalisk has no accuracy at long range.

Its definatly real long range, and unlike the vanu gun you can hold down the trigger button with no loss in accuracy.
    • Up x 1
  16. lothbrook

It'd be nice if they'd put resistance values in the game so people can stop thinking weapons are useless based on the damage they list against infantry.
    • Up x 4
  17. Tbone

You know that there are armor values which you can not find in game.So against gatekeeper tanks have weaker armor but against the basilisk they have stronger.
  18. CMDante

Couple of things;

Damage resistance classes, accuracy, range, cooler looking, TR's first ever long range AV.
    These are all reasons why you should love and embrace it.
  19. Crayv

Pair that with fact that vehicles can't change loadouts and it is exceptionally good.

The Gatekeeper though is exactly what TR has been wanting to go with their lockdown Prowlers.
    • Up x 1
  20. Liewec123

pff, if you don't want it give it to NC and you can get an even weaker inaccurate shoebox that fires 4 stones in a burst.