Do Fractures get any better?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Neo3602, Mar 25, 2015.

1. FieldMarshall

It doesent really do anything that the Pounders cant do better.

When using Fractures you still have to compensate for drop, same as Pounders just a little less.
    If you learn to compensate for Pounder drop instead then there is really zero reason to use Fractures at all.

Also doesent cost you 2000 certs...
    • Up x 1
  2. Takoita

My experience with them is limited so far, but, IMHO, it seems that they require lockdown to be of any practical use in their current form, preferably max rank.
  3. Quiiliitiila

Oh how I miss my two shot kill comets... I'd gotten so good with those suckers.

But yeah, fractures back in those days were stupid good. STUPID GOOD.

AV, AA, AI. It didn't matter. The fractures of old could kill it all with perfect accuracy and laugh as you tried to run away from their speed of light projectiles. *Shivers* Damn, just had a panic attack thinking about them. ;)
  4. Ryme Intrinseca

BUMP because I've been thinking about getting twin fractures and they seem to have bad reviews here to say the least. On PS4 people seem to have a higher opinion of them. And looking at the stats, compared to twin pounders (which I use presently) you basically have:

+Nearly double the velocity
    +More than double the magazine size
    +More than double the ammo pool
    -Lower direct damage
    -Vastly lower splash damage
    -Slightly longer reload
    -Higher effective cert cost (you don't get one for free)

On paper the fracture looks a match for the pounder for AV. The pounder does significantly more burst damage, but for sustained fire vs. armour (which is what AV weapons are mostly for) damage output is similar. This is because the pounder is having to do a 2 second reload for every 5.33 seconds of fire, whereas the fracture gets 13.33 seconds of sustained fire. And of course, the fracture has more range and a much bigger ammo pool (very useful when you're taking on glue-gunned sunderers and MBTs).

For AI the pounder is a four hit kill, versus five for the fracture, and has much better splash. But the fracture has much more damage in the mag and is more likely to get direct hits due to the velocity (getting direct hits on strafing enemies with the pounder is a lottery). So on paper it looks like the fracture is competitive there too.

What am I (and most PS4 players, it seems) missing?
  5. TechPriestess

Dual Pounder user from Genudine here, I think what you (and most other MAXes out there) are missing is that in order to obtain great damage from the fracture you have to expose yourself for lot longer periods, which is bad.

Not to mention Pounders make for fantastic AI weaponry once you get the hang of their arc, I actually abandoned following the traditional Heavy Cycler + Mutilator build for AI and use Pounders as a hybrid between both.

With some key positioning, you can rain absolute havoc upon enemy infantry with pounders as getting the high ground basically guarantees death for any caught below you. Mix that with unconventional firing angles (that piece of low cover won't save you) and most infantry will start to wig out anytime you start dropping grenade after grenade on them.

That's not even to mention that Pounders make C4 fairies and Suicide Tank Mine Squads hilarious to deal with since the pounder can detonate the explosives as they leave their body in some cases.

MAX aren't tanks, which seems to be what most console players seem to forget, so using them as high health skirmishers is generally best so fractures requiring you remain in harms way against vehicles is a great way to end up dead.
  6. CMDante

I love the fractures. That being said, they're awful. The best way to use them is to throw them in your locker and never give them a second glance. Their awfulness is compounded when you look at what the VS and NC have. Why is it so hard for the Devs to give TR a piece of non-broken kit? Just up the velocity and damage, then remove the drop, job's done. And they STILL wouldn't be in the realm of the Cancer-Ravens
  7. Nagant

Just remove the drop and it will come a bit closer to being viable.
    • Up x 1
  8. CMDante

Second. Start with taking out the drop then see how it looks.
    • Up x 1
  9. CMDante

I think they could fix Fractures by removing(or drastically decreasing) recoil so you wouldn't have to be -constantly- dragging your mouse down. Additionally they should make the explosion effect smaller, so one can see what they're hitting at range.
  10. Stormsinger

Hmm, I disagree with the removal of drop, but less drop would be fine. I like the idea of making them more accurate at range, perhaps having less max range then Vortex, while doing somewhat more damage in exchange for the lesser range. (I'm thinking 400-550 meters max range should be the goal, damage dropping off starting at 350 in a slow gradient, until minimum damage at ~450 meters)

Another option would be to combine the Swarm and Raven's mechanics. Projectiles would remain unchanged, but would start following the cursor after ~2 seconds. They would act as dumbfire for a short period after firing, then enter laser guided mode for long range targetting - spamming accurate fire at extreme range would be prevented by the need to hold your crosshairs over a target, but could still be done at short to midrange due to dumbfire mode.

Yet another option would be to allow the rockets to arm a secondary warhead after 2-3 seconds in the air. You won't hit as often at extreme range, but when you do, it would pack a serious punch.
    • Up x 1
  11. CMDante

Huh, I kinda like the idea of a minimum effective range to really define the differences between them and the pounders. Combine that with higher velocity/less drop and I think we have a winner. Have the warheads arm after, what? 50-60 meters?
  12. Stormsinger

Hmm, the current velocity for Fractures is 180 m/s. I'd say a 30 m/s boost would be sufficient for starters. I think limiting their long range performance in the same manner as the Saron might be a good idea (Specifically, you would have to wait a moment before re-firing to maintain accuracy)

As for warhead arming, i'd say 1-1.5 seconds at that velocity (So, the warheads would arm at 210-315 meters) - The idea would be to give the TR a viable max-mounted long range option that sits somewhere between Lancers and Ravens. (I see Lancers as the highest range option, but lowest damage. Fractures would be intermediate range spam fire-able, with a high degree of midrange potency, and as much long range effectiveness as accuracy allows. Ravens are Ravens.

Yet another option would be to grant Fractures a stacking damage bonus that increases with subsequent rounds. Initial damage would be the same, but each shot landed would increase the damage of followup shots by ~5%, increasing up to a maximum bonus of 30% ish for the next few seconds.

Edit for clarity:
    The idea for the warheads would be to deal 3x / 4x the damage, but at the range they are viable, landing rapid follow up shots would be difficult. Alpha would be higher, and landing followup shots would require trigger discipline and fairly accurate leading vs moving targets.

If the warhead mechanic yields a smaller damage boost, shorter arm time would be fine, but I like the idea of something that grants the same general damage scaling potential as a charge mechanic, without actually being a charge mechanic.
  13. CMDante

I think we'd have to go for a shorter arm time/smaller damage boost. Most engagements don't take place that far out and so we'd be back to square 1
  14. Stormsinger

That works for me, I'd say that 75 meters with a 25-35% damage boost from the secondary warhead would be fair, combined with a velocity increase (which would result in less drop, not sure if custom gravity value for specific projectiles is still something they use)

Speaking only for myself, I'd prefer a longer range option, as I have no trouble using Pounders out to ~100-125 meters (given roughly even elevation) but i'd welcome a shorter range boost for Fractures as well. I see their usefulness as starting around 150 meters - any closer, and catching AP rounds to the face is quite common.
  15. CMDante

Agreed, pounders are fine to roughly that as long as you aren't dealing with a low ceiling. After that Fractures should be the obvious choice.
  16. Neo3602

After using the Fractures for a bit I think that if DBG is going to buff the Fractures they should first remove the recoil after each shot to make it easier to go full auto at long range with out having to worry about fighting recoil and make it easier to see where your shot land at long range so you can correct your aim and after those changes DBG should go from there.
  17. FeralBoy

This pretty much sums it up in a nutshell.
    Their window of opportunity/effectiveness is so incredibly small Fractures are less than a niche weapon. Don't even bother if not maxed out on lockdown, and pray you have a terrain advantage to lockdown behind while still maintaining LoS to target.

Maybe once every 2 months the WG swapping will be aligned in TR's favor on Indar, and you will catch a massive armor column bottlenecked in a canyon chokepoint and you will slaughter 5 or 6 AMSes and a few Lightnings or MBTs. Maybe.

Yea go with the Pounders. They lack the range but at least they cover everything out to midrange. Hard.
    Lockdown Pounders are why tankers wear Astronaut Diapers.
  18. cobaltlightning

Of what I've seen of the Fractures, it's moreso how you use them.

With the rate of fire compared to the competition, it's meant to be moreso deadly in close-mid range and support/suppression anything beyond that: Dual shoot when you're close and alternate when afar. An aggressive MAX may die sooner, but isn't the MAX supposed to be a high threat power-house anyway?
  19. Neo3602

the problem with that is the fractures are supposed to be the TR maxes Long Range AV weapon and besides the pounders are much better at close-mid range than the fractures.
  20. Azawarau

I might sound crazy but i actually think the fractures should pack more of a punch than the Falcons

The reason why is the long time you have to stand out in the open to get that damage out

The NC can shoot and cover with falcons and have high control of Ravens

The Vanu dont have bullet drop to make up for the lower damage

TR shouldnt get the short end of the stick here