The tr skill ceiling. The myth or grim reality.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MikeyGeeMan, Aug 30, 2015.

1. MikeyGeeMan

So tr has always been said to have a skill ceiling.

My question is is this reality? Why?

And if there was a way to increase it. What would it be?
  2. MikeyGeeMan

Sorry that would be tr has been said to have a low skill ceiling.
  3. Chryvrius

Allow me to add some insight if I can

TR is my baby
    TR is love
    TR is life

Now that we have that out of the way, my opinion on this is that we have plenty of weapons that have a low skill ceiling but there are many out there with plenty of room to improve and learn

I.E
    SABR-13
    TSAR-42
    TRAC-5
    T5-AMC
    LE CARVINATOR

And plenty of other weapons that I personally believe have a lot of room for learning and improvement.

I really wanted to say Myth busted but I didn't really supply any sufficient proof ;-;
  4. Citizen H

How does first shot accuracy fare on most TR weapons? Worse than VS and NC in my experience.
    How does their sustained kick and firing bloom hold up? Worse than VS but better than NC in my experience.

So, we've got guns that don't really let you land that first shot. They don't kick under sustained fire (comparative to the NC) but they do bloom out of control under sustained fire, so you still have to burst fire.

But our trait is high ROF. Yet we can't fire our guns at a high rate or they'll bloom.
    Also, with a couple exceptions, even bursting you pretty much also have to ADS even in close-medium.

Examine our ES chaingun. It may fire twice as fast, but 50% of the rounds will fly to either side of your target. It faces a spin-up penalty and low ammo reserve for this dubious perk.

With TR, most of it is down to RNG. Taking careful aim, bursting or tapping doesn't reward because each shot doesn't do that much damage on it's own.

If I slow tap with a NC gun, I land shots that do considerable damage.
    If I slow tap with a TR gun, I land shots that do less damage.

I can tap faster/burst with a VS gun at the same range and reap the accuracy advantage.
    I can tap faster/burst with a TR gun at the same range and miss more shots.

So yes, I'll say with confidence TR has the lowest skill ceiling. You are rewarded less for having control skill and aim. It's mostly RNG.

NC has a high skill ceiling and a high skill floor. Their guns run away easy for the inexperienced but if you can control and aim you'll put shots on target while blowing chunks of their HP away.
    VS also doesn't reward control much, but does getting your crosshair on target lets you land shots consistently.
    • Up x 1
  5. CorporationUSA

I think you may have confused skill-ceiling with effectiveness. The skill-ceiling across all 3 factions seems to be pretty consistent. However, I do believe the TR to be the worst faction with regard to overall weapon and vehicle performance.
  6. MikeyGeeMan

in pretty sure people posted to was tr had the lowest skill ceiling because of the horizontal recoil being so bad.

But with the really bad bloom would they really need that horizontal recoil or would it make sense to reduce the bloom and leave the horizontal recoil to bring the overall balance in check. Since the tr weapons are performing so poorly as a whole.
  7. TheChris

I play TR since i started to play PS2. The biggest disadvantage are fights from distance.
    Whatever i try i lose fights from the distance. (I use always Bursts except MCG)
  8. Isokon

No, TR does not have a low skill ceiling, it depends on the weapon you chose. All factions have access to high rpm bullet hoses for cqc work and harder hitting low rpm guns for ranged combat.
  9. RedArmy

10. Crayv

The large mag and slow reload also is a skill ceiling. Most veteran FPS players will reload the moment they think it is safe. With TR weapons it means that vulnerability period of reloading is longer.

When using the SAW (Haven't used the CARV in a long long time) I ran dry on ammo more than almost any other gun due to its reload.

Pair that with a horizontal recoil that all the TR guns tend to have you have weapons that you can't really master like the other factions.
  11. Protovex

I dont have any theories about TR weapons, but I can give my honest opinion and for me, I find the TR weapons the worst out of the 3 factions. I have played all 3 factions and the TR just don't feel good to me like VS and especially NC weapons. Once you tame NC weapons, they become top notch. I cannot explain why they feel that way either so I'm no help heh.

This is all my own personal take FYI.
    • Up x 1
  12. IronMouse

I agree 100%.
  13. Zombo

it's simple to explain: the NC weapons have the most favorable recoil pattern of all weapons:
    highest vertical recoil and lowest horizontal recoil
    since all targets you shoot at are human-sized, horizontal recoil is much worse to compensate, especially guns that have completely random left/right recoil (your targets are higher than they are wide)
    plus, vertical recoil is never as random as left/right recoil, it always goes UP, vertical recoil never goes down all of a sudden
  14. CorporationUSA

Basically this. They should just normalize the recoil across all 3 factions and avoid all this nonsense. Anyone who says some factions having worse recoil than others adds to the variety is just being difficult, or hasn't really thought things through(probably both, considering what I see here on a regular basis).
  15. MarkAntony

myth:

unless you are better than this then it's not the weapon holding you down. you are holding the weapon down.
    • Up x 3
  16. Protovex

I've understood recoil values of all the factions, and that may be part of the issues I have with TR weapons but that's not the only thing that makes them "feel weird" to me.

The one TR gun I did truly enjoy and wish more weapons felt like it, was the default t1 cycler. Carv-s wasn't terrible either.
  17. Demigan

Vehicle performance?

Prowler: Top tank for most statistics, close second in everything else
    Harasser: Top Harasser due to ESAV
    Coyotes: Ultra tiny but slightly better difference than the other two
    Rocketpods: These scores are all over the place for all 3 factions
    Hornets: scores average compared to the other two
    a2a missiles: scores average
    ESF ES AI: TR is the worst (Banshee)
    ESF standard gun: tiny difference in AI, AV and AA performance, in AA performance the TR are top though by a small margin
    ESF vortek/rotary: difficult to say, TR seems average again

It's not really the worst is it? It's either average or some of the best. The Prowler is simply a beast no matter how you look at it, the Harasser has been outperforming anything on the other two factions solely by it's Vulcan prowess, and it's ESF performance, the last thing you can find a lot of ES differences on, are not exactly underwhelming.

Also in infantry combat the TR have great DPS, they just need to burstfire it some more and dictate it's range to CQC more. TR excels more in CQC due to it's weapon statistics.
    • Up x 2
  18. Goretzu

Well it is a bit of yes and no,

Take the Carv, it is probably the most underated LMG in the game IMO, it starts off between the Orion and the NC6 SAW, but ends up similar to the Orion.

Orion VS54 | Q1 KPU | Daily Average: 10.36
    T9 CARV | Q1 KPU | Daily Average: 8.96
    NC6 Gauss SAW | Q1 KPU | Daily Average: 7.87

Orion VS54 | Q2 KPU | Daily Average: 13.78
    T9 CARV | Q2 KPU | Daily Average: 11.30
    NC6 Gauss SAW | Q2 KPU | Daily Average: 10.61

Orion VS54 | Q3 KPU | Daily Average: 13.65
    T9 CARV | Q3 KPU | Daily Average: 12.18
    NC6 Gauss SAW | Q3 KPU | Daily Average: 11.41

Orion VS54 | Q4 KPU | Daily Average: 18.76
    T9 CARV | Q4 KPU | Daily Average: 18.48
    NC6 Gauss SAW | Q4 KPU | Daily Average: 15.10

I'd say it is something similar with many TR weapons.

Certain TR Carbines (especially - they tend to outperform their competitors) and ARs perform perfectly well (and LMG aren't below par).
    • Up x 1
  19. CorporationUSA

You're probably right about the ground vehicles.

For ESFs I think the mossie is the loser, though probably not by a significant margin. The needler just doesn't reward accuracy as well as the M20 and saron, and the lower dps makes the burst damage noticeably worse. The hitbox is better than the Reaver, but I don't think it is good enough to make up for the needler having the lowest dps. If the scythe and mossie swapped noseguns, things would be considerably more balanced.

I don't know about the rotaries, most people don't even use them anymore because of the terrible ammo reserve and weak attack range.
  20. Goretzu

Exactly the TR do have great weapon and certain have had, as in game context the Banshee was the best AI ESF weapon by far for a long, long time (although it seems to need a small buff now).

In fact really that has to be the context of many TR weapons.

Striker 2.0b - probably still needs a small AV buff, but the Striker 1.0 was the best RL in the game for a year or so.
    Marauder 2.0 - is still strong, but was by far the best ES weapon on Harrassers (just completely) and AI-wise MBTs for a long time.
    Fracture 2.0 - needs a long range AV buff, but the Fracture 1.0 was insanely overpowered for quite a while.
    Jag - still a great Carbine, but was the best around before the general hipfire and 0.75 nerf (and even better before the Flinch fix).
    Claymores - were the worst performing AI mine, but now by far the best performing AI mine.

Statistically though that seems to be a bit of a myth as well, certainly the NC have some good and indeed great weapons, but in general when you look at the competitor faction weapons the NC don't actually have great Q4 or BR100 stats...... or at least no more than the VS or TR do.

7235 - EM6 | Q4 KPH | Daily Average: 39.10
    79 - T9 CARV | Q4 KPH | Daily Average: 41.31
    7276 - SVA-88 | Q4 KPH | Daily Average: 44.35

7235 - EM6 | BR100 KPH | Daily Average: 44.34
    79 - T9 CARV | BR100 KPH | Daily Average: 50.21
    7276 - SVA-88 | BR100 KPH | Daily Average: 50.11
    • Up x 1