So, just logged into Planetside 1

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sentry51, Aug 18, 2015.

1. tf2hero

hey if you want a good fight on ps1 get on every weekend at around 7-10 PM (est) that is when primetime starts up
  2. tf2hero

yeah you could be a infiltrator with a backpack full of plasma grenades and bee that *******

but yeah that system implemented into ps2 (with a bit or work) would be awsome.
    for instance certain armor types could only have a primary weapon slot only big enough for carbines, ie LA. when other classes could use LMG's, but for balance using a LMG would reduce your movement speed by around 15%, same goes for heavy assault armor.
    infiltrator i don't exactly know what to do with it, i would like to see it get a movement speed buff by around 15% but lose the ability for use of sniper rifles.
  3. Hunstad

I've logged onto PS1 a couple of times, but the lack of people online is depressing. How many people play around primetime nowadays? The only thing keeping me from playing is the ghost-town feeling I get whenever I see NC has 33% pop, VS has 66% pop, and TR is empty.
  4. InsaneLinguist

What I miss the most is the loot mechanic. Nothing like killing that Jackhammer wielding guy (extremely deadly in CQC), taking his gun and then using it to massacre his friends. It gave you a sense of accomplishment.
  5. FateJH

Your best luck is on weekend evenings. Polish off your VS or TR characters because significant NC population is rare.
  6. Obscura

the more I read the PS1 wiki the more I wish I had played it, and for PS2 to be more like it. From what I've seen the game had alot of depth, the overall pace of the gameplay was different(a bit slower, which is good) and rewarded faction teamwork.

PS2 was designed in mind with PS1's concept, but modified by SOE to an F2P model MMOFPS death match that would compete with the battlefield series. AKA trying to be something its not, and just recently they are figuring out finally that this game could actually have the potential to surpass battlefield and call of duty if they do it right.
    • Up x 3
  7. Sentry51

Thank you for all the replies. Its been very interesting. I would encourage anyone who never got the chance to play PS1 to download it and check it out.

You may not get to do much fighting, but it will give you the opportunity to compare and contrast some of the differences between the two games.
  8. Halo572

Yeah, because 3 years and 3 months isn't enough time to develop a game worth playing.
    • Up x 1
  9. Armcross

Once we held a a base for 3 days

Pass the sugar please. Would you love some crackers with that?
    That would be cool also in PS2. even just the main weapon would drop and lose it when you respawn.
    My best memorable experience are:
    -Driving my Morauder and skyguard
    -Planning my loadout for each situation and trying to maximize my backpack/trunk
    -Trying to sneak up to a BFR but to my surprise they are 2 of them. I try to run but I hit a tree
    -Throwing an EMP to a fleeing BFR. If I hadn't he would able to escape his pursuers
    -Single handedly kill BFR with Phoenix. Curving my missile to hit the weak spot
    -Saving 2 bases by back hacking link base. I think one of it they so get disappoint because they already cap it for 8mins and single granny hacker mad it all to nothing, and they move to another base.
    -Hondachick
    • Up x 1
  10. WorldOfForms

PS1 was quirky and slow with a high TTK and ancient gunplay... sure this is all true.

But trying to argue that PS2 is deeper than PS1 is ridiculous.

PS2 has no continental lattice.
    PS2 has no inventory management.
    PS2 has no looting.
    PS2 has only four continents.
    PS2 has a guns that all feel the same.
    PS2 has no LLU, no capital buildings, no cave modules, no ancient tech vehicles, no vehicle hacking, no base turret upgrades, no command tools, a fraction of the vehicles, no jammer grenades, no swapping of ammo types, no weather, no activatable game-changing implants, no sphere of influence, no meaningful base benefits, no virus implantation of facilities, a fraction of the engineer tools, no real gal drop strategies, no real underground base fights, a fraction of the empire specific equipment.

Yes, PS2 is more modern. Great. But it is way, WAY shallower than PS1.
    • Up x 2
  11. Malbolshia

EPIC, day long battles in Cyssor over the bridges.

Tense, white knuckle battles in the caves to gather those much needed cave modules.

Clutch, MLG ANT Gal drops on bases that just lost all NTU.

Battle islands! A snipers dream!

Just a few that come to mind.

And then I remember what killed the game.....BFR's =(
  12. AlterEgo

When the certain game you speak of can contain over thousands players on a single server, you can expect things to take a longer time. Would I like continental lattice? Of course. Would I like naval battles? You bet. Would I like vehicle hacking? Definitely. But if Planetside 2 is better than PS1 in any ways, it'd be just how easy it is to play, how easy it is to understand everything, and how epic the battles are. In PS1, the game wanted to be fun, but with a terrible inventory system, an overly complex UI, and overall isolated battles that I never excelled at, I was turned off. PS2 was the absolute opposite, but that's just me.
  13. wyld

You're an idiot. SOE killed PS1 due to Core Combat being terrible, BFR's and a bunch of other B.S they put in..its not due to "not ageing well"

To say PS2, which is a glorified Team DeathMatch with no thought at all on resources, strategy, or depth is a better game than PS1 just shows how lacking you are in what the fk you are talking about. Did you play PS2 at launch? Hell, did you play it at all the first year? Did you see how many servers they had up? How many server merges do we need...or better yet how many players need to stop playing before you wake up?
    • Up x 2
  14. Beerbeerbeer

I miss the backpacks and being being able to carry what you want. Ammo types and being able to switch and, above all else, the looting and lockers. You could really sustain yourself by looting.

I seriously would just some spend time rummaging through dead backpacks. The things people use to bring with them, and what they thought was important always made me laugh sometimes.

Oh, I miss the drama, too. There were some big rivalries.
    • Up x 2
  15. ElCreepo

PS1 was certainly a deeper game, but I'm not sure it was necessarily a better game. The much lauded underground base fights tended to be annoying grindfests filled with endless grenade spam, made worse by the miserably awful gunplay. The continental lattice tended to lock fights into certain areas, so while there were way more continents, you generally only ever fought on four of them anyway (goddam I am still sick of Cyssor). The game had warts.

To be fair here, remember that all of the bolded weren't in PS1 at launch, but were added incrementally over the course of several years. Let's not pretend that PS1 was born with all of this stuff.
  16. FateJH

To be honest, I was a little disappointed in the last PlanetSide day. The main stage of the fight was Amerish, which is an all too frequently contested map on the game nowadays. A little worse, the VS were horribly tied up on the Western side of the Onatha, Qumu, Tumas, Sungrey quad that you always fight over when you're on Amerish. At least it looked like the TR got to play around with the NC at Azeban and Xelas, and I thought I saw a bit of fighting near Mekala.
  17. Kirppu1

I'l like to see this game actually do something in order to deserve planetsides name
    • Up x 1
  18. WorldOfForms

Except most of those things were added by the time PS1 was three years old. And how much progress has PS2 made in that time?

Many of the things PS2 has added since launch are features from the launch of PS1. And yet it STILL has a fraction of the depth of PS1.

The fact is, I played PS1 for seven years. I played it so much that I barely played other games. After only 3 years of PS2 I am probably done with this game. I haven't played it in a month and currently have no desire to come back. That right there is a testament to me of PS2's shallow design. PS1 kept me around for seven years because there were so many things to do and master.
    • Up x 1
  19. CorporationUSA

CoD is a FFA or TDM game with hitscan weapons and very low TTKs. There are also no vehicles. Despite popular belief, CoD and BF3 are not very similar games.
  20. travbrad

Yep. There are definitely some things from PS1 I'd like to see in PS2, but the infantry shooting mechanics are not one of them. PS2 has pretty nice feeling shooting mechanics. PS1 had some of the worst I've ever seen/felt.