2-3 man squad tectics?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Shavingcow123, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Shavingcow123

Hi, I play planetside with a couple of friends and we were wondering of some fun things that we could do. All we really do currently is go to empty bases and ghost cap, and some guy will occasionally come along. Any ideas? Thanks.
  2. Pfundi

Put C4 on flashes ;)
  3. Firejack

3 people is a Sunderer crew. You could be really useful providing a secure spawn location for a larger friendly force in a defensible position either on higher ground or behind solid cover and keeping it well defended.

Should you wish for for a more combat orientated role you could turn the Sunderer into a Battle Bus and hunt down lone vehicles or deployed enemy Sunderers. Blockade Armour + Fury's works great. Especially on Hossin. Just make sure you get the Fury extended magazine and thermal optics unlocks.
    • Up x 1
  4. asdfPanda

Armor is an option, but I'm more fond of 4-man beacon point holds against 12-24 enemies. You might have to find one more person, but if you roll with 2 medics, a heavy, and an engineer, you will have everything you need.
  5. Tommyp2006

Most of the stuff you can do with 3 people will all be vehicle related, at least to have the most effect. Otherwise try to do just small micro stuff in the larger fights (take generators, provide support for other squads, etc). Don't try to make an entire fight all your own with only three people.
  6. Leftconsin

You can keep a Liberator up almost indefinitely with a dedicated 3-person crew unless you get shot down right of out warpgate constantly.
    Three Fury Flashes makes a biker gang.
    Battle Bus! And Sunderers only cost 200 nanites!
    MAX + Medic + Engy at pretty much any base. Rotate through classes.
  7. Demigan

3 MBT's
    1 2/2 MBT and 1 Lightning
    3 Lightnings (a highly underrated and rarely used method). Even with 3 Skyguards this is quite powerful against other vehicles, and you can kill a few aircraft while you are at it. But more devastating is AP lightnings. Make sure you have stealth frames equipped. If you find that aircraft often find you and kill you guys, one of you uses a Skyguard the rest AP.
    3 FuryFlashes. One of the most OP things you can have in the game and rarely ever used, just 2 FuryFlashes can destroy an enemy MBT in one go from behind, with 3 people you can make sure he doesn't get one of you before he goes out. Even if they do get you, you only lost 1 flash and they lost a vehicle.

Multi-man LA squads. Nobody ever does this, but it is sooo powerful to use multiple LA in the right spot. You can kill Sunderers, break chokeholds that require 40+man if attacked with any other class, and be a menace to anyone anywhere as long as it's on the ground.

Sniper teams. Especially if you communicate tightly, you can snipe enemies with body-shots. 3 People almost guarantees a kill if you guys have some skill. Decloak, kill someone with a triple-shot, cloak, repeat until you feel too many people know where you are and relocate.
    I think the infiltrator has a lot to offer you guys. Combine the above with Flashes and you can snipe for a short minute, then move further and kill a few vehicles, then snipe again.
    Alternate things you can do is behind-the-lines combat. Go to an enemy tower/techplant that is used as staging area for an assault, then hack turrets simultaneously and rip a large chunk out of your enemy vehicles, both air and ground. Alternatively move to some towers/Techplants/AMP stations that are being used for aircraft resupply and kill them as they return. With 3 Infiltrators you can have 1 of you stand by and kill any of the pilots when they try to take you out of your turrets, and start a nice, long cat-and-mouse game with the guys who want some revenge on you.
  8. YoungPedro

guerrilla anti air. move behind enemy lines, find a decent spot between the main battle and the next enemy airpad and shoot down every esf that comes your way, 3 lockons should be enough to kill pretty much everything that comes your way. a cloaked sunderer near your position might also be a good idea if you have one.

might not be the best xp wise, but its actually kind of fun to pick of the ones that would have gotten away at the main battle ^^
  9. CipherNine

Base defense:
    Get 3 AP Lightnings and hunt deployed Sunderers. Three of you could probably end fights on your own.
    • Up x 1
  10. OldMaster80

As infantry I'd go for a all-LA squad with smoke grenades and nv scopes. You could cause a lot of havoc and brutally flank the enemy.
    • Up x 1
  11. WeRelic

3 People is a liberator crew, if thats your kind of thing.
    When I run with FORTIFY, we're usually in a 2-6 man group, so a lot of times we'll grab a valkyrie, find an obnoxiously large fight, and drop ourselves right in the middle of it, or failing that, we'll go sundycrunching with the valk.

1 pilot, and 5 AV builds, either heavy or engi. If you go the heavy route and play VS, use lashers and S1s and C4 for sundycrunching.
    This can also work with 2-3 people, but you have to be much more coordinated, and the pilot has to drop as well.
  12. Obscura

If you don't want to vehicles like suggested above, you guys can try doing 3 stalker infils and work together to take down targets and bases. Engi, Medic, And max suit is a good choice for 3 people as well if your facing larger numbers of enemies. Really you can do alot of things with 3 people if you use your imagination a bit, if you're just ghost capping bases then 3 infils is pretty fun.
  13. breeje

this is a little cheesy but three stalker infils hunting like a wolf pack is really funny
  14. WinchesterLock

Most of your options are going to be armor based, I hate to tell you. Here are a few (although some have already been mentioned)
    • Battle Bus sunderer is always a quality option.
    • Harasser with one of you in an AV or anti-air Max in the back is a good option
    • Lightning team of 3 can do some major damage if focused.
    • Battle flashes working in a team can also do damage
    • Liberator & Valkyrie attacks (with Valk, it's up to your flying and your gunner's skills, but I'd probably recommend the 3rd guy being an engineer to keep you repaired up, and maybe he/she could grab an archer for AV boosts)
    For infantry-side stuff you might be better suited to watching points, generators, and the like. Although a good 3 man sniper squad can also help out in a battle if positioned properly.
  15. Shavingcow123

16. Shavingcow123

Wow, didn't expect this many replies, lets try to answer them all at once.

I would like to say first, that everyone in my squad (besides me) isn't battle rank 10 yet, and I'm only 24. So we don't really have many certs.

My god. That... I've never seen that happen to me before, and I'm happy about that.
    Like I said earlier in this post, we don't have many certs, so the second option isn't really viable. And also slightly tying in earlier, they just got the game, and kind of want to do stuff for first impressions, so that's what I want to do. Thanks for the idea though.

Hmm... That sounds really fun, but everyone in the squad are(is?) noobs, so I'm not sure if we could do it too well. Also, no max? And lastly, if we captured a point, is a spitfire turret a valid option, or will they just wreck it?

I see what you're saying, but last night we found a facility that was completely empty and ghost capped it. Just put some claymores(we're TR) by the door and let it unfold. We tried doing some liberator stuffs, but that didn't go too well. But some of the stuff other people are saying could be good.

We tried liberators, but we couldn't hit crap. Fury flashes could be fun :)
    Battle bus won't work, we don't have enough certs because we're all relatively new.
    Max medic and engi is a good combo, but we usually like to be sneaky-beaky because we don't have much of a force.

Just know I'm relying to demigan's post, its too long for me to quote.

All very good ideas, although we suck we armor, our main element is suprise which most vehicles don't give. (Besides cloak sundy)

Good post, but a. I'm the only slightly good pilot
    b. I put all my certs into air to ground
    c. Nobody else has any certs.

Hmm, good idea, I'll try that, although it's pretty resource intensive.

Ooooooh I'll definitely try that, it's not too expensive on certs.

This would work,

But we all suck and don't play VS.

Yeah, sounds good, I like to ghost cap because with 3 people who are new to the game its hard to face an actual fight.

Cheesy or not, that sounds fun. :)
  17. YoungPedro

I was actually talking about shoulder fired lock-on launchers for the heavy assault not the A2A ones ^^ (hence the stealth sunderer to respawn/resupply)) but i guess those need certs as well so that's probably out of the question as well (although a G2A lockon launcher should be a must have for every new player ;) )
  18. Corporate Thug

Learn the bases! Once you know the typical flow of battles at each base then you and your crew can find a few nice little spots to hold up in and slow down the enemy. Places such as the balcony overlooking A point at a tech plant can be held easily enough for a bit with 2-3 people and lots of other smaller buildings at most bases can be secured by you guys. You can stop flankers, slow down reinforcements from getting to the point or even be the few guys that actually stay to secure the point over spawn camping at bases that your faction is capturing.

I have a similar play style, solo or 2 man squad. It can be hard trying to figure out where you fit in when you join larger fights but as long as you keep improving and learning to play the game then you guys will do fine and figure out what the most entertaining thing to do is with your crew...Someone recommended a sunderer crew, which can be great fun. I would save up to get a cloaky sunderer if none of you have it already unlocked and use burster maxes or heavies with lock ons to create little AA nests near large groups of enemies.
  19. Regpuppy

Aside from vehicles, just spawn at near 50/50 fights and learn to work around the pubbies or use them to your advantage. Generally, if you're against a decent sized organized group, there's not much you'll be able to do without an equally good or larger/better organized force in the area. But if it's a mostly even fight against mostly disorganized pubbies, something as simple as placing a sunderer in a good position or popping an enemy sunderer can be enough to sway things in your sides favor.

You can also lead your own pub squad/platoon, if you feel like its worth the hassle. But I'd just suggest joining an outfit that fits your guys' play times.
  20. Taemien

My static squad (static because its the same people each time, RL friends) is about 2-4 players on average. If we're running on our own squad and not simply joining a platoon, we try to play Nuisance. Basically make yourselves the biggest pains in the *** to the enemy as possible.

You make yourself seem bigger than it actually is. There's a variety of ways to do this.

1. Battle Galaxy

This is a certed galaxy, Walkers/zoom and Bulldogs/thermals. The bulldogs need mag capped out, and the galaxy itself needs all the bells and whistles that it can. Cosmetics not required, but anything to make it stand out such as bright camo, lumifiber, and the skywhale horn to sing the song of your people, all make the thing... annoying.

Find an enemy base that is somewhat populated and blow the crap out of them. Make them hate being there. You don't even need to take the base, though doing so may case reinforcements (if you want them). The idea here is to ruin the enemies day. They will either quit, or call in help. If they do the latter, congrats, you succeeded, tick them off too.

2. Battle Sundy

Same thing as a Battle Gal, but with more variety of weapons. Take Furies if vehicles are present, Bulldogs or Kobalts if infantry. Can go Walkers if you're trolling their air near their warpgate. Use thermals vs infantry for greatest effect. Cert it out, go blockade or shield (if using as a spawner). Again the idea is to draw out the enemy in force.

3. Zerg Breaker

If playing NC or VS you can really demolish ENTIRE armor zergs. All you need is a Engie and the rest heavies. Use Pheonixes/Lancers to hit the same vehicle. With NC you can have one fire first and play follow the leader. Lancers on VS takes a little more effort and is a little riskier. If you're TR, I dunno if this can be done with Strikers. You may want to try using lockons instead and try to fire on the same vehicles. Its doable, but a little tougher.

Make sure you do NOT hit from the same direction as your allied force. Try to flank or come in behind. Or at the very least the side, left if the main force is going slightly right, or vice versa. The idea here is to draw fire on yourselves.

4. Fake Zerging

This is where you use Lightnings, Sundies, or MBT's and surround a base and bombard it. With a small squad, everyone gets a vehicle, even if it means 1/2 the MBT's or 1/3-12 the sundies. No one can tell the vehicles aren't full and it makes it look like a zerg is hitting the base. Can use Gals or other air too for a similar effect.

In all four cases you're trying to draw attention. Ideally you want an organized platoon to send a squad your way. Once that happens, don't worry so much on objective, but keeping them pinned down. Remember, if 12 people are facing your 2-3 people, that's 12 that aren't elsewhere. Which means you're ahead 9-10 people elsewhere.

Get good enough at this and your opponent will drop a full platoon on you if you get (un)lucky. That's when you will probably win the alert. Smart commanders will realize what's going on if they see it for themselves. That's fine, if they ignore you, a PUG force won't and will stick around.

Get enough PUGs tied up and activate a squad unlock called Reinforcement Request. This puts a defensive marker or offensive marker. Basically call in your own zerg to muck them up. Do this on important bases that you can't take on your own, but a zerg can. Then redeploy and keep the organized enemy tied down so they don't react to the zerg you just brought in.

Doesn't always work, but it can help you get an alert win if it does. Either way, not bad for less than half of a squad.

I cannot guarantee positive KDRs with these methods. In all cases you're inviting yourselves to be targets. Targets by very organized players in some cases. You will die, alot. But depending on what you're doing, you can get some points. And pulling it off successfully WILL help your team edge out a few more territories in an alert.

Who knows, you might even be directly responsible for a few wins here and there. And it beats the hell out of ghost capping. You also get to play a little bit of everything. All classes are useful, and you will see the controls behind just about every vehicles.

Stay flexible, stay annoying, and don't give up.