Why is it that a single infantry can 'solo' a MBT in this game?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by orangejedi829, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Scr1nRusher

MBT's need Coaxial MG's.
  2. Imperialus

Irrelevant point. You're right that artillery was the leading cause of death during WWI and WWII, though if we include civilians in the casualties then starvation/exposure and strategic bombing both beat that statistic. The catch is, none of those are factors in PS2. Next on the list though was casualties by smallarms.
    • Up x 1
  3. Towie

...not the case for most - almost all MBT drivers are primarily after other vehicles, with other MBTs in particular being trophies. HE is rarely used - and it's always best to keep a distance from infantry; C4 is a MAJOR reason for MBT deaths.
  4. Bearlover

I mean if you got HE rounds equipped and tons of infantry running around, most of us probably would like to shoot all of em.

But in another case , if you bring up your vehicle inside a base that is surrounded by buildings with infantry crawling around and your awareness was zero because you have tunnel vision then you will probably get destroyed by infantry with c4, basically you asked for it when you drove your tank inside an enclosed area.

Lack of awareness = your fault

Main gunner and secondary gunner did not see the infantry with c4 = both at fault

Driving your tank up the stairs = your fault, you blocked friendlies from using the stairs and probably the door everyone was using. I and many others would probably c4 you. Then you panic and reverse ur way back down running over friendlies in the process. Entirely your fault and you need to be C4 twice and tea bagged.
  5. SavageBacon

There may have been a time when tanks wanted to farm infantry, but that was long ago when HE was effective AND killing other vehicles wasn't nearly as lucrative; like not even getting assist XP, much less getting XP equivalent to 4-5 infantry kills. In the current environment, tanks rarely go AI and for the AP users hitting infantry, it's often as a matter of self defense or being the only targets on the field.

That being said, the OP's complaint is a classic tale of a tanker tunnel visioning rather than constantly assessing his positioning. The key to effective tanking is positioning which often means not being in the same spot for too long because the enemy will react.
    • Up x 2
  6. Pelojian

The problem isn't so much infantry using C4. It is the damage one infantryman can deal out, it is people having C4 and wanting to suicide rush tanks, using lightnings as armored cars for C4 attacks, use flashes as C4 delivery systems, wanting the recon drone added for the sole purpose of using it to deliver C4.

It irritates tankers to no end that C4 is being used by the uncoordinated and coordinated alike as a one man miracle solution to tanks when at the very least a force multiplier should take real counters to take out on not some, air, vehicle or suicide bomber delivered package.

Tanks want to kill vehicles the problem is all these people running around suicide rushing tanks have no incentive to counter tanks with their own tanks and just want to fight infantry and treat any vehicles as pinatas.

That is the problem.
    • Up x 4
  7. Takara

I know your first comment was directed at someone else. But it is important to note....that I could pull up just about any conventional conflict in Africa between countries and groups that don't have the money for sophisticated weapons 1st world countries carry. Conventional wars are going out of style due to the global economy. China is the major holder of US debt for example...it would not be worth their time to start a war with the US because it would ruin their own economy. :p This is the way the world is going now.

In order to penetrate most armor you need shaped charges. It's the reason RPG's are shaped the way they are shaped. They have a hollow cone inside were the explosive is packed around a cone shaped bit of metal. When the explosive impacts and detonates it liquifies the metal and forces it under massive pressure and temperature to shoot a stream of molten metal through the armor. If it gets inside the crew compartment they are likely going to die, if it hits the ammo store they will likely cook off, if it hits the engine it will likely destroy or at least render it inoperable.

C4 even a pack the size of a paint can IRL wouldn't do much to a tank unless it was strategically placed someplace vital. The tank armor itself would literally shrug it off. C4 has a high concussive blast....but unless it is a shaped charge, it won't do much punching through of armor.
    • Up x 1
  8. HappyStuffin

This is not my idea but I like it.

C4 needs a bit of a planting timer. A 10sec timer which could be shown view the usual hacking timers.

C4 should NOT be lobbed like a grenade.

If a C4 Fairy can stay beside a tank for 10secs, then I'll give him that.
    • Up x 2
  9. FBVanu

did anybody mention PROXY RADAR yet?

I rarely, very rarely get C-4ed...

Proxy Radar is a wonderful tool when maxed out.. just keep your eyes on the minimap..

If you get C-4ed, it is your fault.
    • Up x 3
  10. Pirbi

I play mostly LA. Usually if you C4 a tank in a battle of any size then you have snipers, other tanks, auto turrets, and any manner of other spam to dodge as you do it. The target most likely isn't even looking at their minimap and way too focused on spamming a spawn room to notice me plus his allies all pointing to the tanks imminent existence failure. There are those that just end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. But most seem to have tunnel vision.
  11. KirthGersen

Cry more. All whining I see here is about you being THAT bad so you can't think a bit and avoid being C4d.

As example, I remember how I was bombing Vanguard by Vanguard at Mekala Aux because these scubs stayed under the big construction/arc. The heck guys, what else do you expect when you roll in such dangerous places?

Sure there's always a few tryhards on a field who purposefully hunt tanks with C4 or mines. These are harder to avoid but they are also pretty rare. Sometimes it's me;) especially when battle looks too unconfortable to use a tank, or no techplant etc. It's fun as hell to C4 a top pilot while he's dueling or deep flanking. Damn, NO WAY you're doing this when I'm here and see you:p
    • Up x 2
  12. KirthGersen

I wish you were on Miller. One more non-stealth MBT to farm is always needed.

P.S. Using it BTW on HE setups cuz HE generates a lot of upset scrubs who want to C4 you:p
  13. LeFitz

This guy is right, use radar or improve your positioning and awareness. Also mount a top gun that can kill LA...
  14. Crator

I agree. I'd rather the tanks have weak spots that allow you to disable their movement instead of being able to be blown up by a single hit from multiple C-4 blocks. The amount of hit points the tank has should also be increased which would require that the repairs take a lot longer.
  15. MrJengles

Hey, planetmens do that! Mine stacking!
  16. Konstantinn

Anyone who thinks C4 is still overpowered after numerous nerfs is a .... basically I have nothing nice to say about you.
  17. FateJH

I'll be honest with you. I've been here since December 2012 and I don't remember at all what pre-nerf C-4 was like.
    • Up x 1
  18. Meeka

Actually, once you've gained enough situational awareness you have plenty of time to counter or shoot back.

I can't really count the number of times I AP shelled a LA out of the air, or switched my Kobalt (which I usually run when solo) and put them down. When I'm running AA as a second gun, I'll hope out of my tank and shoot the LA with my gun before he even gets a chance to drop C4.

Generally speaking, tanks need to rely on other players for a layer of protection; this is a combined arms game, until you're a top tier tanker who can reliably survive solo, you shouldn't roll solo.
    • Up x 1
  19. Demigan

It is closer to a knife than an LMG, it has a tiny range and that is mostly downwards.
    this blind spot is much smaller than you make it out to be, and unless you are using either slingshot or drifters from a high spot you will not be able to stay in this blindspot from beginning to end. One way to do that is 50m in the air... which still begs the question, how did you get 50m in the air, and how vulnerable were you while doing so, and how many places do you have where you can reach those 50m quickly, most bases have large antenna that give your drifters a good boost to 50m with enough range to actually reach the tanks, but any tank can see you go up and kill you... only they don't see you, situational awareness again.

Let's not beat around the bush here: I'm an avid C4 fairy and I enjoy it immensely, and I'm defending it because of that. Is that bad? No it isn't, and you are doing the exact same. You are probably enjoying tanking a lot, and you are defending it by improving tank life. But I enjoy tanking a lot too, immensely so, and from everything I've seen as both tanker and C4 fairy this has nothing to do with a blind spot, I rarely am able to use the blind spot anyway even with Drifters. It has all to do with a complete lack of situational awareness, of almost every tanker.

Just think about it, when are you getting C4red? What kind of players do you C4? Do you C4 the tanks that are moving about? The one's that often drive a little around while fighting other tanks? Or do you attack that one tunnel visioning and firing at one location constantly? This is not even taking situational awareness into consideration, just the fact that you can move about a bit can make you inelegible for C4 and cause LA to pick a different target, if there is a different target.
    Then you have situational awareness. 70+% of the LA that I see, friend or foe, comes from the frontal 180 degrees, very few come from behind. I do this a lot too, because it rarely gets punished. You just fly up to them while they aim a bit left or right and you are golden most of the time. All it takes is a second looking around to spot the LA, then avoid their C4 and kill them.

let's look at a solution for you point of view then.
    You say that LA work because they can use a blind spot, right? So I would like tanks to get co-axial canons, now we allow a tank to switch to their co-axial canon and look straight up. No more blind spot when wielding your co-axial canon, and you can defend yourself from every LA threat. This should already be enough to solve your problem, right? Your problem seems to be more about thinking that a tank can't defend itself against it than the fact that C4 can kill you in one go.
    Will this solve it? No, the amount of vehicle kills C4 will get will dip by maybe less than 1%, because tankers simply do not pay attention.
    How do I know? Because of Skyguards. Similar to tanks these usually park in one spot and start looking for aircraft... there is no real blind spot when approaching a Skyguard. Yet they fall just as easily. Despite that they look up into the sky where LA are, despite that they need to look at the ground to keep an eye on friendly and enemy movement, Skyguards fall almost as easily. Their only pro is that they usually are in a friendly base rather than attacking around an enemy base, meaning they are more secure behind infantry and friendly tanks.
    • Up x 1
  20. Konstantinn

Basically 1 C4 on back of MBT (even vanguard with deactivated shield) or 2 on back of sundy was instagib, that's with no additional blockade upgrades or shield. With maxed blockade it set sundy on fire, MBT was usually toast anyway.

Now MBT needs 2 C4, single C4 takes it to about 1/4 maybe 1/3. And now any old sundy only gets set on fire from 2 C4 on back, blockade somehow manages to remain at 1/2 hp. This also happened not long after sundy deploy shield went in game (exactly to prevent quick C4ing of sundies). I'm just saying this to point out it used to be A LOT worse with pre-nerf C4, and we're talking about nearly 2 years of game's existence where C4 was much much stronger than it is now and deploy shield didn't exist.

This is why I don't agree with any further nerfs to C4, it's already been nerfed quite a bit, but many of you forgot.

And by the way, even pre-nerf C4 wasn't gamebreaking. Yeah rules were different, sundies went down easier, had to guard your armor a lot more, so different dynamics, but they still worked good enough for 2 years. More nerfs are just unreasonable.
    • Up x 1