[Suggestion] How To Fix the KD system

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by strategicmaniac, Jul 27, 2015.

1. strategicmaniac

One of the most long lived problem that has existed since beta- the kill count system. Or at least kill stealing. The problem is, PS2 rewards kills to whoever gets the last shot on the enemy. Considering the fact you need to get the last shot, it promotes kill stealing and overall detriments those who are committing their time to directives. Players have to rocket primary in order to get actual kills with the launchers, weapons like the Lasher and other support weapons don't get any recognition.

Here's how I propose how to fix it. It's not difficult I assure you.

1. Simply give players partial kill credit. For example, if I shoot up someone and do 90% damage and someone gets the last shot, add .9 kills (90%) to , and the other player gets .1 kills to his KD. Oh, the other player gets the kill notification, but he does not get full kill credit, as it only counts as .1 kills.

2. Same thing as #1. The difference is, is that both players will receive the assist instead, and only players who deal almost 100% damage to the enemy will count as a kill. Again, assists add a fraction of a kill to the KD.

I seriously doubt DBG will be unable to implement either of these.

Any other suggestions? Cus this is my first forum post. Please be lenient in terms of criticism.
    • Up x 3
  2. UberNoob1337101

Why the Higby would you be caring and boasting about your K/D in a game where team-play helps your team much more than kill stealing and farming is beyond me, but I believe you get the memo, K/D means nothing in this game simply because of that system and K/D in general is irrelevant of someone's skill, and those who kill-steal and care about it are probably some random CoD elitists.

I think this needs to be implemented for directives though, earned a 90% XP assist? Get a 90% progression from the kill, so at least you get something off that and is a less frustrating and possible experience when you are around a bunch of kill-stealing scrubs.
    • Up x 2
  3. MarkAntony

or you could just improve your aim and HSR and get the kill. but improving is harder than asking for changes, amirite?
    • Up x 1
  4. SteelMantis

I like the current system better myself.

Doing 90% damage without being able to finish the opponent off isn't very reward worthy in a game with medpacks and regenerating shields.

Just keep sending plasma downrange and you'll get your directives done.
    • Up x 1
  5. Dualice

You mentioned the K/D system in your title but the post itself is more about the assist/kill mechanic.

Someone on the PlayStation section of the forums pointed out the counter-productive nature of including the K/D statistic in a game geared towards teamplay. It's an entirely self-serving statistic to monitor (and pad).
    • Up x 2
  6. gigastar

Or everyone could just stop caring about K/D.

Stop caring about your own K/D, dont respond to people talking about K/D...

...im going to take my own advice now.
    • Up x 2
  7. FBVanu

I get tons of kill assists.. I LOVE them.. every time I see that xp blip on my screen for a kill assist, I know that WE, our team, did its job well.

Nobody is "stealing" your kills. Kills don't belong to you. you don't own them, obviously, otherwise you would have gotten the kill.

If you give a man 1,000 paper cuts, and he would, eventually, bleed out and die.. but I walk up a second before that, and put a bullet in his head.. then it's my kill. I didn't steal anything. You were unable to provide the last and final blow. Your fault, your problem, get over it. Keep firing and sooner or later you will be the one that puts the final blow into a player.. (then YOU are the thief..?!)
    • Up x 1
  8. ronjahn

There's no such thing as kill stealing in this game. It's a team game, which is why "kill steals" are called assists.
  9. AshHill07

Best "fix" for the KD system in this game?
    Remove it, watch idiots rage about it being gone and hope they shut up after a few months.

Seriously, this game would be so much better if people didn't obsess over it.
    • Up x 2
  10. SamReye

We could just get rid of K/D altogether and reward XP relative to the % damage you did. Doing 100 damage to an enemy rewards 10 xp when he dies, etc.

Edit: Forgot to address medkits. XP gain would cap at 100 xp per kill without a modifier. :D
    • Up x 1
  11. Leftconsin

And people are still going to judge you on the weapons you used first on your character. I assure you, changing the culture of a game is a lot harder than getting good.
    • Up x 1
  12. Taemien

I liked how MechWarrior Online handled it. You get way more exp for assists than you do kills. And I love the vehicle crew assist system in this game.

I think that should be applied to squads. If you're in a squad and near your squadmates, everyone shares in the exp everyone generates.

The way to avoid solo play is to make group/team play too lucrative to pass up.
    • Up x 1
  13. MarkAntony

and why should I care about the opinions of stupid people who don't look at my current skill level? they are obviously to dumb to have the right to judge anyone.
    changing your own way of thinking is way easier than changing other people's way of thinking and the easiest way of changing peoples minds at the same time when they realize what you are doing leads to success and begin to emulate. (a bit of wisdom I picked up) Sadly the ****ters of this game (and life for that matter) would rather complain about cheaters (or people with "unfair" advantages) than worrying about getting **** done. and that is why they remain bad.

TLDR: don't worry about stupid people's opinions; work hard for success ---> profit!!!
  14. Jubikus

KS = Kill Secure

But i do think the directive system should be based on unmodified XP not kills
  15. Jubikus

Wait so what im getting is dont worry about cheater change you way of thinking and emulate.... so i should go get some scripts and cheat to?
  16. MarkAntony

what I am saying is that your believe that everyone good is cheating is actively stopping you from getting good.
  17. Jubikus

Ahh the belief that everyone is cheating i see well im not one of those players theres very few players ive though that were cheating in my past and well keeping tabs on them every single one has been banned including the few BR100s but thats like a grand total of 6 people over 2 years (not including the obvious teleporting flying around the battle ones that are super obvious i jsut log out for the day when those pop up).
  18. CorporationUSA

I understand that people like to keep and compare stats, but kills are supposed to be irrelevant in an objective-based team game. They need to change the kill ribbons into something else, so people don't necessarily need a kill to progress. They could instead be based on total damage dealt with the weapon.
  19. Gutseen

Funny how only Emerald and Connery scrubs whine 'bout KD
  20. JonboyX

I'm pretty sure these things even out over time. Naturally players with a higher head shot accuracy are more likely to claim the kill, but then, isn't that how it should be?

Anyway: go with the damage dealt / minute stat if you want to judge your damage impact in a non-lethal manner. Given rezzes are faster than heals, it makes no real difference what you want to measure yourself and others by when in a squad.