John Smedley, I commend you.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by dngray, Jul 25, 2015.

1. dngray

I hope justice is served and these cyber terrorists face the consequences of their actions. I can not imagine how infuriating it must have been for you to deal with the things they have done to you.
    • Up x 5
  2. Ballto21

what did they do seriously

im out of the loop i come back and its all praise john smedly and ddoses what happened
  3. Nregroepis

Zeekill was sentenced to be monitored for 2 years, if he did anything bad within those 2 years, he would get his *** thrown behind bars. Now he's done the crime, so he's doing the time.
  4. SwornJupiter

Dude that's nothing for the seriousness of the offences that he was charged with. All he has to do is lay low for 2 years, and we're back to square one...
  5. Ballto21

what did he do? id rather not google when the answer is obviously known by many here
  6. Nregroepis

He's a lizard squad guy that DDoS'ed us and bomb-threatened the plane Smedley was on.
  7. Taemien

DDOS, SWATed, Identify Theft, Fraud, and Bomb-threatened a flight.
  8. dngray

I want to preface by saying that I really hope this thread does not get deleted.

As I am sure most of you know, the hacker group Lizard Squad has been a plight to the gaming community around the world. They were the ones that took out Xbox live and the playstation network on Christmas. The grinches that stole Christmas for millions if you will. They have also personally targeted former DBG CEO John Smedley and have done things like call in false bomb threats to the plane Smedley was traveling on (forcing the plane to make an emergency landing), he was swatted multiple times, and they even posted pictures of Smedley's fathers tombstone. Just recently John called them out via twitter and Lizard Squad responded by taking down all of DBG's servers.

I am not sure if John stepped down as CEO to pursue these people judicially or he was removed from CEO as a consequence for him calling out Lizardsquad which brought on a new attack (bringing down all their games). sue Lizard Squad or as a consequence of him calling
  9. SwornJupiter

In short, they are probably twelvies who think that they're cool because they know how to DDOS attack. And of course, they have to do it through the anonymity of the internet.
  10. Ballto21

alright, thanks folks. hope hes fine and whatnot.
  11. Leftconsin

I harbor no ill will towards Smedly as a person. I may disagree with things that have happened in games he has been a part of but the fact is I do keep playing them. It isn't all bad.

Bomb threat on a flight he is on? When I heard about that all I can think was: There is no way he deserves anything like that.
  12. Killuminati C

I thought I read on Reddit this Zeekill kid had some rediculous amount (like 5,000 if I remember right though I'm too lazy to look it up) of cyber crimes he was convicted of, some of which were done to Smed. 2 years of probation seems way too lenient to me. I think they had more pending though.

Bottom line, it's definitely BS what him and his family have had to put up with. I've actually seen a few people on this forum and reddit say he shouldn't have provoked LS but if any of them were harassed with even a fraction of what he had to go through for their job you can be sure they'd feel very differently about the whole thing.

I know very little about the guy except he had a part in making a game I've enjoyed far more than anything else I've played in a long time and regardless how I feel about how this update went or that direction the game went in all I can do is wish him well. For what little that's worth.
  13. sebastian oscar post

i hope this ******* is suid an exorbitant amount of money for all the chaos this guy has done!
    • Up x 1
  14. The Rogue Wolf

The problem is that you get law enforcement and judges who think "oh, they're just some kids playing around on computers, it's not like they're hurting anyone". They're too old and hidebound to see it being as serious as real-life theft and harassment.
  15. FieldMarshall

I think he also sent a picture to Smed of his fathers grave and threatened his family.
    I suspect threats to his family is why he doesent want to keep doing this.

Hope Zeekill's ***** (aka. male genitals. Apparently too much for the word filter to handle) and hands fall off.
    And that his internet keeps dropping out days at a time, for the rest of his life.
    Hope he gets some sort of weird amnesia that makes him forget everything he knows about computers and takes away the ability to learn again.
    But remembers enough to get sad when he thinks about it. Hope he then pauses for like 5 seconds looking for each letter when he types.
  16. Killuminati C

You're right that they're living in another era but you'd think the bomb threats, swatting, defacing graves, and identity theft would have raised some red flags though. And that many charges kind of demonstrates a pattern.

I mean there's antiquated and then there's just lazy and/or naive.
  17. TheMish

Probably should be shot. Those people are definitely psychopaths or sociopaths, and dangerous.
  18. ronjahn

Its absurd that stealing someone's identity, making false tax returns, messing around with his SSN in multiple other ways, threats to family members, causing thousands of dollars of lost revenue by shutting down the ps and Xbox networks and repeatedly DDOSing DBG servers, and lastly the thousands of wasted police dollars due to repeated Swatting and the downing of an aircraft would be punished by 2 years of monitored Internet usage.

Half of that stuff is fraud and should come with jail time. The other half is putting people's lives at risk by having police members put themselves in unknown and potentially dangerous situations. Landing a flight in a non routine way is also putting all of the people's lives on that flight at risk.

This child needs to be forced to face his crimes in a US court so he can go to ******* jail.
    • Up x 1
  19. belthazor3457

To provide some additional context for those that may be confused:

Swatting:
    Calling 911 under false pretense to convince a swat team / police officers to enter a residence, such as claiming that a serial killer is present, a murder has happened and the killer is present, etc. etc. The risks involved in this is that a common modus operandi is to treat all occupants as hostile if they do not immediately comply, this is generally done for the protection of the officers whom may under more legitimate circumstances be at risk of gunshots or knife attacks from the building occupant whom may be mentally unstable and prone to violently attack even in very unfavorable odds. To reduce risks to both building occupants as well as officers, items like flashbang grenades / stun grenades are used, however, this is a "better than not using one" option, and in real life, these are not as harmless as the ones in planetside 2.

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/HT_bou_bou_phonesavanh_jef_141217_4x3_992.jpg
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/family-toddler-injured-swat-grenade-faces-1m-medical/story?id=27671521
  20. IamDH

SWATing, false bomb threat on his plane, ID theft, credit theft, messing with SSN, sending picture of fathers grave with nasty stuff on it, harming the family. The list goes on, its quite horrible really...

50,000+
    • Up x 1