Would MAX's riding in Valks truly be OP at this point?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Liewec123

well we already have striker valkyrie!
  2. Regpuppy

post-buff striker valk, I don't even. :eek:
    • Up x 1
  3. Taemien

Absolutely.

When they add ports to fire out of. Let me ask you this. What purpose does the Valk serve as a transport that the Galaxy can't do better? Gal holds more, Gal is faster, Gal is tankier, Gal can spawn entire platoon. I'd accept the Valk being solely for 'quick, cheap, transport' if it could match the Gal in some of the transporting aspects.

It can't. So it needs more firepower.
  4. Klabauter8

The Valk is much more stealthy than a Galaxy. You can for example do stuff with the Valk like sneaking up on the top of a Tech Plant and drop your troups there so they can easily destroy the turrets. If you would try this with a Galaxy, the whole field would easily notice you, and probably prevent your troups from being able to destroy the turrets, but a good Valkyrie pilot can be pretty damn sneaky. The problem is just that you have to be very organized to be able to do such things, which is one of the reasons why you rarely see the Valkyrie shine.

And of course you also can much easier pick up random people with the Valk, like for example landing near Sundies near the battlefield.
    Also, I'm not entirely sure, but I think with the Evasive Frame Valks are actually faster than Galaxies. I for one at least haven't seen a Gal yet who could outrun me with this.
  5. Taemien

Galaxy is still better. All you have to do is get to max altitude over 1000m away from the target, and then barrel in at 240kph (experienced Gal pilots know how to make it go this fast). Drop in from the height and the enemy never knows a Gal was there.

I don't bother picking up randoms. Those are for the most part, bots, zerglings, and cert farmers. Its a waste of time to pick them up. If it can't deploy directly into my vehicle, its not important enough to carry.
  6. Klabauter8

If you fly this high anyone easily could notice you. The flak will notice you, and ESFs also easily could take you down. It also gets pretty hard to precisely drop your troups like this, but to each their own I guess.
  7. Konstantinn

It's bad because valk can hover max altitude with OP Vortexes (with 800 some meter range) sniping things 3 bases away. Death from above so to speak. I don't know why VS don't already use lancers like that, just have to stabilize valk to stay more or less still. No other faction can do this as all other weapons cap out at 300-350m.
  8. SamReye

We were talking about adding a single seat, I thought, so I accounted for that.

The skill floor is lower, but so is the effectiveness. I suppose it could be an issue if implemented wrong, but I don't think the idea was clear enough on how the MAX would be seated. What if the MAX was seated with a view above the valk as opposed to below? What if he was in the very middle area of the valk with an extremely narrow FOV looking outward? That sort of thing.

Besides that, though, I still think would be perfectly feasible to combat a manned valk with around the equivalent number of players. I bet a single, good ESF pilot could stay fully out of the MAX's view with relative ease, since the valk doesn't perform well when turning parallel to the ground, you have to roll it to turn quickly. Assuming the MAX would be sitting in the same area as the infantry, that means any time the valk turns he can either stare up at the sky or down at the ground.

I'm sure you could point out exceptions to this, but it's a strategy I could see being employed to combat a burster valk.

And to counter this, you'd need an experienced valk pilot to combat the experienced ESF pilot, but you'd also need other dudes on board as well, and the problem still doesn't seem like a problem to me. :confused:
  9. Pointyguide2

I would like to see this.
  10. PYROxSYCO

HELL, It still might be an improvement over what the valk does right now... Make the MAX take up two seats makes it a bit more fair.
    • Up x 1
  11. CorporationUSA

It sounds like this would be extremely hard to balance, and really for no good reason. I already have to contend with tons of AA on the ground, enemy ESFs, and aggressive dalton libs in the air, why would I want to deal with flying burster maxes on top of that? Despite some max players getting their jollies from a new way to farm, nobody wins from this. The valk needs to be more useful, but increasing it's killing potential isn't the right way to do that. We already have 2 other air vehicles that do just fine for attacking, they should work on making the valk more useful as a transport vehicle. Make it transport maxes, but make them take up 2 seats and don't let them shoot. Increase it's speed and make the ejection seat a standard feature on a valks. This is something the game could use, not another attack vehicle.
  12. Blasron

i was going to said that myself. This would work too, why the MAX are much larger units and with this well you lose the capacity of bringing 2 other brother in arm wich is a loss by itself
  13. Hiperion

Maxes should ride valkyries
  14. Klabauter8

There are very few people who actually care about Valkyries. Vast majoity of people totally avoid Valks and think it's a useless joke. And to do stuff like this you have to be organized about it and have enough people with Lancers who actually would like to fly with a Valk. When I use Logistics in a large platoon, I also hardly get any people to spawn in the Valk, for example. It's just a totally overlooked vehicle and mostly only used by people for quick transport from base to base.

I'm pretty sure all the people here who say the Valk is a bad attack vehicle haven't even piloted 10 hours in it. When I started to use the Valk I also was like "How the hell am I supposed to fly this, it's an underpowered joke?", but after spending some time in it, this changed drastically for me. I also already spend a good amount of time in Harrassers, Scythes or whatnot, but with the Valk I have my biggest killstrikes... BY FAR!o_O And everytime I die, it's just because I made a mistake, or because I couldn't find a good gunner.

Valks are horribly underrated imo and you can do really crazy stuff with it. You just have to get creative a bit and be organized enough.
  15. IamDH

Flying burster MAXes? Nty
  16. Scr1nRusher

Something you in actuality rarely ever see.
  17. IamDH

For a good reason
  18. CorporationUSA

o_O How often do you see things which don't exist?
  19. Scr1nRusher

I ment that if MAX's could ride in valks he would ever run into burster MAX's in valks.
  20. OldMaster80

Nope for the simple reason the Valkyrie is not meant to be a flying platform for infantry combat. The Valkyrie's job is not flying high in the sky chasing aircraft and 99% of players seems to have misunderstood this.

The Valkyie is meant to relocate troops: move soldiers around all those bases where players spawn in A and want to capture to B but get farmed in between. It should load soldiers near the Sunderer and drop them somewhere else then restart again, so they can bypass choke points or enemy defensive lines.
    In fact the pilot gets transport xp for successful kills performed by the passengers he dropped.

But as I said most of players have like a tunnel vision and seem to be unable to do something creative like that. It's much easier spawn in a Sunderer and run in straight line to the target. Or respawn to the previous base and roll a tank.
    The Valkyie is tactical vehicle, not a gunship.