Smedley steps down.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RykerStruvian, Jul 23, 2015.

1. FieldMarshall

That makes sense, though it feels like it was just last year...

I wonder what would happen if a remake was made, with everything as it were before NGE.
    But on a better engine and with better graphics, but the same complex game depth.

/drool
    • Up x 2
  2. Obscura

Now is this replacement because of the attacks smedley and his family have been recieving, allowing him time off and removing him from the spotlight to let them recover from that? Or is it because they feel they have someone who can do his job better? Or both?
    • Up x 1
  3. Smoo

That's cute. No. You are responsible for your actions. People will remember. There are people who will NEVER touch any DBG games because of design decisions.

I remember when SWG was smashed up, to make it "more starwars-ey."

I remember the end of PS1 beta.

I remember when PS2 became "Battlefield: Planetside."

I also remember when CSR DanB went nuts and destroyed Band of Brothers back in PS1. He went in, set himself as outfit lead, and destroyed. the. entire. outfit. Because of the actions of a very VERY few people.

People have told you these things FOR those TEN years, and apparently nobody ever bothered to listen. Sometimes, the CEO needs to get canned before people listen. If that's what happened... good. I don't know the guy, but JUST from the high-level decisions he's made, it might be better now. One can hope.
    • Up x 3
  4. MasterTater

===
    Well actually I did not say - let them do whatever they want - but you have to expect reactions, consequences and have to have the cover of your environment for doing certain things which could impact your environment.
  5. sjtw_w_stot

6. Konstantinn

To answer your question, here's pre-NGE SWG with servers and everything made by fans. Though not better engine or graphics (those are same pulled from original SWG), and depth might be a little less as not all features/locations are 100% in from original game. Apparently they sit around 1.2k users on their non-test server daily (respectable for a project of that kind if you ask me).
  7. Crator

He did tell the kid from Finland that he was coming for him. Wonder if kid is ******** pants yet. lol
    • Up x 1
  8. Ballto21

wait what happened? im actually pretty out of the loop now, does this have to do with the guys who ddosed DBG?
  9. FriendlyPS4

This is good news.
  10. Iridar51

**** VS and **** MAX suits.

Didn't seem nice to me. He used swear words frequently, when there was no call for it. And I'd say for a public high ranking figure there's never a call for it.

I don't want it to be CoD MMO, but it is. Thanks to him and smedley. The guys completely failed the combined arms aspect of the game, and created a team deathmatch with tanks on a huge map. "Great design", yeah.
    • Up x 2
  11. Takara

Well...for someone who dislikes someone for using swear words...you have a funny way of getting censored twice in the same post.

What if I was to tell you, that there has been studies done by actual scientists that say people who swear more are shown to be more honest, and healthier physically?

Honestly brother, they are just words.....you are on the internet. If you can't deal with bad words you may want to just unplug your computer and try growing up a little. Or Donald Trump will come for you and your children!

I let the ultimate state of the game lay at Smed's feet. Higs was always in good spirits and a nice guy. I'm going to say I don't really enjoy the CoD/Battlefield style this game took. But I feel he did his best to make it better than what they were going to be. Imagine this game with just the NC/TR.....it would be battlefield and it would be painfully boring. Ultimately it isn't his fault the game came out a year earlier than it should have with only two continents done and one still being worked on(It was Smed's). The thing that would have made this game work was more continents and warpgates that actually functioned like PS1 that avoided making every continent into a 3 way fight, which always turned into a giant stalemate in PS1.
    • Up x 3
  12. Iridar51

I'm not lead game designer talking to my customers, am I?

Swearing also make pain 30% easier to bear.

There's a time and place for everything. There is no time and place for swearing in a live stream to gamers who play his game. Hearing "****" from a lead game designer just instantly slams to the ground his impression. Instant trash tier. A simple lack of culture.

[IMG]
    To:
    [IMG]

He can swear to his wife, I don't care. He can swear to his mailman, I don't care. I care when he swears to people who pay so he has a job. At the very least I personally do not like it, and I'm glad that he's gone.
  13. Gimpylung

Swearing seems like rather odd criteria to judge a creative director by.

Incidentally the 2nd guy pictured, the trash tier guy as you have judged him to be, is the guy I'd be having a chat with given a choice between the two. Culture has sweet **** all to do with ones proclivity for swearing or indeed the size of a bank balance.

With regard to Higby, he had his flaws, but I can't fault his communication or engagement with the community.
    • Up x 1
  14. gigastar

Thats one bit of community lore i would like to know a bit more about.
    • Up x 1
  15. gigastar

Well say what you like, i prefer people who say whats on thier mind to someone whos reading off a script from the marketing department.
    • Up x 2
  16. Ronin Oni

Yeah, little surprise you'd say that. Actually no surprise at all. You CONSTANTLY complain about VS and MAX suits.

3rd faction is a necessity for this game, if you think 2 factions would have been better you're insane... nevermind that Planetside already had an established 3 faction system...

as for MAX suits, they're part of the entire combined arms and mixes up infantry fights with a mini-vehicle of sorts. I'm not surprised YOU don't like it, but I don't care you don't either (FWIW they're FAR more obnoxious to me as a pilot)
    OH NO, HE SWEARS?!?!???

He was very nice, he didn't have a ton of patience for obnoxious constant complaints from a certain portion of the community however, which I supported him in honestly. I wouldn't want to deal with that segment of the community either.

He was a REAL PLAYER instead of some marketing masters degree SCHMUCK who's full of BS and lies.

I'd rather hear the honest truth any day. Higby was REAL, unlike most PR coonts

You don't want it to be CoD yet want anything but basic infantry effectively removed and HA nerfed to be the same combat strength as all other classes.,...... suuuurrrrrrre

You don't want combined arms, you do NOTHING but complain about every other aspect of combined arms, don't be a lying lil snob about it. You want infantry only.
  17. Iridar51

When I said "**** VS" I meant "**** VS as we have them in PS2". The kind that blends in with the 80% of game's backgrounds, has OP weapons on OP class, annoying AI weapons and broken MAX abilities. I'm sure TR and NC have their share of annoying imbalances, but the VS consistently had the most of them, and still has most of them.

I'm not the only one having a problem with MAXes, even the developers have admitted they are a problem.

In retrospect, after reading some stuff about Smed, it seems he is an experimenter. He tried many crazy things, unconventional, innovative. He is a man thanks to who we have PS2 now at all. Some of his ideas take roots and grow to become amazing things. Some of them don't. MAXes are one of them.
    I don't really know or care what he really was. I watched him a couple of times, heard the swearing, immediately closed and never returned again.
    If Higby was "a real player", he wouldn't let the game be like it is.

I'd be happy if there was a small continent for infantry only fights, yes. As an option. But if the whole game was reduced to that, that wouldn't be fun.
    There's nothing to do in this game but to kill, so of course I'll have a problem with things that have too easy time killing everything.

The problem with combined arms in PS2 is that there's no combined arms, because there's no common goal. It was Higby's and Smedley's job to provide players with that goal, and they have failed, fundamentally. I've been voicing that for a long time too.

Yes, I have a problem with HAs having double HP and double-triple mag size as everyone else. This isn't a korean MMORGP with buffers, healers and fighters. This is a war game about combat, with no hospitals and kitchens, where everyone is a front line soldier, and I find a problem that one particular class is much more effective in fighting and killing than other classes.

I do A LOT but complain. If you refuse to see that, then it's on you, not me.

You're jumping from one extreme to the other. Don't have to be an uptight corporate ****** to be nice.
  18. MantisShrimp

Can you elaborate? I played PS1 on launch day and for years after that, but I don't know what happened in the beta. I'm really curious.
  19. Hosp

Ah Iridar, you and your swearing issues. Makes me laugh as, no matter how much you may rail against it, it doesn't change a person's ability to get **** done. But we've been through that song and dance months before. Just funny to see it crop up again.

ON TOPIC:

IMO, under SOE Smed was likely forced into the make, bleed, trash business model. You know, investors and all. Under DBG I can't help but wonder if, lizard squad issues aside, this was part of the plan for him.

Part of a corporate swap. Head person kept on board until transition is completely done and settled, they then show him the door.

But meh. Here's to hoping DBG ramps up development :Na zdrowie:
  20. Takara

I find the two pictures posted to be far more low brow then a simple word or two that you may consider bad. Why does using a non-racial word make someone better or worse than another? The truth of the matter is, in my experience the guy in the first picture swears just as much if not more than the other guy. But when you see him, he is all smiles and lies until he gets your money. The guy's I've dealt with who might remind me of the second picture generally keep to themselves or are actually pretty nice people weather or not you have given them money.

I would rather take some rough truths from someone then sweet lies man. Sweet lies is what caused SoE to to have a terrible customer service rep. Higs played PS1 and was an avid member of the community back then too. It is important to note that he may have been A boss but he wasn't THE boss. He can't do everything he likes, but he can influence a lot. I'm far more forgiving to Hig's then I am Smed because he actually seemed to show care for this product and it's community. Smed....there was a reason I used to call in game currency Smedbucks....that was all that was important to him, at least that is what it seemed to be from my perspective.
    • Up x 1