Is the game now Pay To Win?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by prodavit, Jul 21, 2015.

1. prodavit

I know some of you will say it's pay for convenience not P2W, But Let's compare this game to a game like Warframe. But before that I would like to explain that all the weapons at was only 250 certs are now 650. So we're being ask to pay 150% more for a gun with the same skin and looks the same as the default. I been playing for a while so it's not really a problem for me but if I want to get a friend into the game, it's going to be really hard to do since everything is so expensive and the amount grind is crazy.

Some of you may say that these devs need to make money, and to that let's compare this game to warframe. Warframe is a free to play game for those who don't know. Unlike PS2 they come out with new content all the time, not just "here's a new gun give me your money". New map, new frame, new mission, new gameplay, new side mission, and more. Compare Warframe to PS2 and it looks like the dev here doesn't do jack for ****. Also warframe have events all the time, like twice a month with awesome mission and at the end you get a free weapons or cards that you can only from these event, which you can't buy with real or fake money, which keep people logging in. Everything in warframe is free to unlock, sure it kinda a gird to have to find everything to make it but you can get it in like 2 to 3 hours if you are really new, in PS2 everything is so expensive and now with the increase to 650 it could take noobs 2 weeks to get a new weapon. I know some of you may say the default weapons are good at killing, but to that I ask, are you sure? you can't shoot down Air with default weapons.

Also as a side note if the dev lower the price on the weapons with SC that will get people buying with real money more. It's simple economics, who the hell want to buy a fake digital gun for 8$? so if I put 20$ into the game I can only buy 2 guns and a skin? come on devs

In conclusion Warframe come out with new content way way way... more offend than PS2, cheaper weapons, more events, give more incentive to play, and they're not going bankrupt.
  2. pnkdth

Nope.

If you are a F2P player, expect some grind. That's the business model. Gaining experiences and working towards something is not "grinding" it is playing the game to earn weapons/abilities. Indeed, if playing the game is a grind then why would you even play?

It is also much easier to get certs these days, which is why this change was made. Barely anyone bought anything because they were eventually swimming in excess certs.
    • Up x 7
  3. FateJH

No, it's not pay to win yet.

I admit to not reading your post and just replying to title.
    • Up x 6
  4. Stormsinger

It sounds like you may prefer Warframe to PS2. The new prices come with the new recruit system - the 1000+ certs you get by BR15 will be sufficient to buy 2-3 new things after a few hours of play, but beyond that, yes - things got more expensive in general cert-wise. (Although being lazy and playing half-AFK, playing support via ammo packs max repairs / repair sundies / AFK on scout radar... this nets me 1k certs in an evening, little to no combat required. Without Membership, that's 500 certs in about 4 hours, 2 evenings to get the most expensive item)

Yes, i'm sure. All the default weapons are rather good. Try a max, they get a free burster arm, and anyone can run up to a base AA turret and hop in. Almost all vehicles come with Basalisks, which are good at AA, if the target is close enough to fire on you with any real accuracy (Excepting liberators) - The only things you don't have are things like Walkers, the Skyguard, or G2A lockons. Options still exist, although the game isn't all that clear in terms of what options are good vs what targets, that could definitely improve.

I would like to see cheaper overall prices too, but the game does indeed need to support itself. I personally prefer subscription-only games, the concept of F2P is nice, but the constant yelling about P2W gets irritating in games that are honestly trying to do otherwise.

At least with SOE, the subscription is an all-access pass to benefits in all of their MMO's.
  5. MarkAntony

you don't need a new gun. default weapons are 100% competitive. No P2W.
    • Up x 7
  6. prodavit

We shouldn't look at the vets players and them having too much certs, we should try to get new players with 0 certs. I know a bunch of friends that I finally got playing PS2 for the first time but they never came back. I been playing P2P game for a long time to know what will bring people into the game. This greedy game design is not it.

The devs need to do better, No events, alomost no new content except for weapons? Come on man!! Look at Warframe!!! Sony is just lazy and greedy.
  7. ZenitHMaster

The game isn't pay to win whatsoever, it is pay for convenience. IF you can name one thing in the game that's pay to win, I'll give you my damn gaming PC...

Also, I noticed that you said that there is no way to kill air as a new player, that's not correct! Just go to your second loadout on your max, its the most effective way of killing air, almost as effective as anti air turrets on bases!

Also, most weapons that you would wan't to purchase, with certs or station cash are not versatile at all and are more for veteran players. Like, for engineer, you get your decent carbine by default, now why would you want to waste certs on buying the archer, for instance, when it is only designed to kill maxes. A new player wouldn't want to become a max killer right away, he would want to be versatile. Other than that, the other versatile weapons have small changes anyway and as in the example of the archer, some are very specific anyway, so no reason to buy them, especially not with real money.

So, if other weapons aren't really targeted at new players to use them, why would you need to buy them with real money anyway? Rather just wait for BR 100 and buy everything in the game with certs.

BTW, the only things you should get with certs at 1-20BR are upgrades to your suit, attachments. For ground, get blockade armour. For air, upgrade your liberator. And before all that, the first thing you do is get a sunderer with deployment shield. No one is going to notice your time to kill decrease from 3 seconds to 2 because you bought a gun anyway, so don't buy guns, wait till you are BR100 and skirmishing trying to flank capture, then you need to get a weapon for every situation.
    • Up x 1
  8. FateJH

Do you know why they never came back?
    This is just nitpicking but we aren't "Sony" anymore.
  9. prodavit

I think the problem is that you all are vets and got to a point of not caring, you already got everything you need. I argue for you to start a new account with no membership and no real money involve at all and see how, well "easy" it actually is.

Look I'm not a noob I already have all the weapons I need too, but my noob friends who I finally got playing don't, they played it with me once and never played it again. They didn't really like the game "it's boring". (not my words) "all you do is go camp a point and hold for a few mins. and then do it again at some other base. (like I said not my words) "all the cool weapons in the game I can't use" (not my words)

At least come out with new content and new gameplay, all we have now are here's a new weapon give me your money. come on some events that will yeal a free gun or helmet (that you can't get any where else) at the end of it. or new vehicles, new game mode that different bases even (king of the hill all the time is boring)
  10. Goretzu

Weapon-wise it is still definately not, it still has argueably the best balanced F2P model in a purely weapon context.

However since they nerfed drops for Implants it has been sailing as close to the wind as it is possible to get with them, mostly its just stopped crossing the line by the reality that most implants are pretty useless or indirectly useful (i.e. not with direct killing).

But things like top level Sensor Shield, you could certainly make a very good arguement for being P2W these days as you can't really run it without buying stuff.

Of course, as always it depends on what people would call "P2W" - by the "Pay = you always win" defination, there never has been (and likely never will be) a "P2W" game in existance.

Newbie-wise it is harsh, but that's really a different kettle of fish.
    • Up x 1
  11. Shatteredstar

I've never found the game pay to win nor my roommate who plays. We've both picked up items an upgrades by just playing. He recently got himself the lasher because he wanted glowy death balls and that was bought and paid for with certs.

This was before the new player bonus certs as well. It just requires some time and play which is rough if people come in with a battlefield or cod mindset where you're given stuff at a fairly quick pace and it is easy to kill others without much play experience.

Pay to win means there are things which are noticeably better or a distinct advantage above other players for real money that cannot be achieved or competed against by a non-paying player.

Given that most guns are side grades or specialized and even very only things like suit of armor slots are not game breaking lot powerful (really max nano weave and max overshield aren't going to make you a God that walks through everything). Even subscribers aren't really being brought to a level that free players cannot touch them.
  12. FateJH

Oh, but the things they could get away with in some Korean MMOs because you can pay them real money ...

I reserve it for "access to essential game equipment someone who doesn't pay will never be able to use" that desn't include proper expansion material. The more strict definition isn't common but that does not mean I can ignore the potential.
  13. prodavit

My definition of pay to win is Pay=more fun. Or at least Pay= more fun way way faster
  14. Liewec123

actually i seem to play better on new alts with nothing unlocked,
    maybe its something subconscious, like i know i'm more vulnerable so i play more carefully?
    but whatever the reason, i'll do better than on my mains with all their nanoweave, weapons and attachments :p
    so maybe its P2L? :D
    • Up x 1
  15. Shatteredstar

A person's definition of fun is different for each one. A person could define fun as always winning a fight which they would never get by paying, or to be given a special unique look by paying which could make the game more fun for them but have no change to gameplay.. Special sounds bought could make a game more fun but again have no gameplay effect.
  16. GhostAvatar

People really do love to throw around the term "pay to win". This game is in no way pay to win. Pay to win means paying real money to gain a significant advantage over free customers. Which really isn't the case in this game. Most of the things in this game that give a significant advantage, like nano weave, simply cant be bought with cash. Most of the weapons are side grades and only give you an advantage in there niche role while sacrificing other roles. Camos don't give any real signification advantage, even the ones that make you look like other factions and get you TK'ed more often. And any perceived advantage other weapons may give, can be earned in a reasonable amount of time by free players. Thus closing the gap back again and bringing everything back onto a level playing field.
    • Up x 1
  17. ValorousBob

A2A lock-ons can be bought with real money and are a direct upgrade in killing power to the default AB tanks, yet the only thing that counters them (flares) must be bought with certs.

I could really use a gaming PC so I'll pay the shipping costs.
  18. Shatteredstar

Can you not buy the A2A lock on with certs either? Wait...you can last I looked so no that isn't a valid argument anymore than saying "you can buy a gun with real money Faster than you can buy nanoweave but nanoweave costs certs! Checkmate!"
  19. RadarX

Before I respond, is your question asking if PlanetSide 2 is pay to win or why isn't PlanetSide 2 Warframe?
    • Up x 11
  20. HadesR

Nope far from P2W ...

I recently made a new TR alt ( got hackusation the first day woot ) and I don't feel outgunned or that the default weapons under perform in anyway ... Bar one ..

And that being I had to use some of the beginner certs to buy a cheap bolt action, as it's what best suited to my play style versus the starter TR semi-auto ..