[Suggestion] Battlerifles need some love.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Taemien

Give BattleRifles a 3rnd burst where the first shot recoil modifier happens after the burst shot finishes and applies to the next one if clicked too early.

No one will joke about BR's then.

Would it be slightly OP? Perhaps... but let them be OP for a bit like that. I don't think they'd see LMG level of kills in an alert though.
  2. Jubikus

Yeah but i feel thats a situation Snipers also handle well if not better with the CQC sniper rifles like the TSAR or KSR-35 If you prefer semi auto
  3. Imp C Bravo

I use BRs on my Heavy Assault to be honest. Or I did, until I got gud with LMGs. Now my BR sits unused. LMGs performs as well as BRs (arguably better with proper bursting and fire control) at the BR's intended range. Accuracy and fire rate is an issue. They don't fire fast no matter how fast you click or pull the trigger. They recoil a fair bit. And their damage is a bit sub par for the fire rate. They are supposed to trade raw DPS for accuracy and better bullet drop off -- but I don't think their damage per shot quite makes up for the difference in fire rate or the recoil inherent to the guns.

Scout rifles, on the other hand, perform quite well at the BR's intended range. They do more damage, with better bullet dropoff, and similar accuracy. Plus their range extends out a bit further.

I am sure that DBG has no intention of buffing the BR damage per shot -- but they probably should.
  4. teks

Snipers should feel more comfortable there. We're engineers and the battle rifle is only a small part of our game in the back of the line.
  5. Jubikus

Ahh yes engineers it is the best option they have for that role my question is why dont they have access to the Scout rifles aswell whats really the difference between the 2?
  6. teks

I'm afraid I have no idea what your trying to ask. We do have access to all the battlerifles.
  7. Jubikus

yeah i edited my response when i relized that scout rifles were something different granted i dont know what the real difference between the 2 are other than the class that uses them
  8. teks

I figured but didn't want to assume.
    Engineers get carbines which have the same role as SMGs but the CQC carbines are a bit better and the weapons are practically identical. Its not an exact comparison but its very close. In most scenarios the CQC carbine beats the SMG, but SMGs are what infils got.

Being a different class is a good reason. We have AV turrets, mines, more health, and unlimited ammo. You guys can have a slightly better version of the weapon your role is defined by.
  9. Shatteredstar

I love my eidolon for counter sniping a little as an HA, bugs the heck outta the infiltrator snipers when you're throwing shots at them with overshield on =p

Works best as engy though, I made some good stands with that and the mana turret before up on an enemy tower during a base assault, threaten maxes and vehicles while being able to put some strong hits and weaken infantry/suppress down some infiltrators, while keeping myself ammo stocked.

I will say this is the one case where the vanu no bullet drop EXCELS is on the battle rifle, since it is a mid/long range engagement tool.

I'd think the other BRs would benefit from maybe higher velocity on the bullets to help with that engagement level, but overall I like the BRs for the role they fill in of suppressing/back of house support engy.
  10. ValorousBob

And give them .75x ADS speed.
  11. Jubikus

Yeah but with CQC carbines and SMGs i believe the difference is SMGs are great hip fire weapons for the run and gun is there that same sort of difference between scout rifles and battle rifles.
  12. Iridar51

Scout rifles are basically heavier battle rifles: more damage per shot, lower rate of fire.
    From another perspective, Scout Rifles are lighter version of semi auto sniper rifle: less damage, higher RoF, and most importantly much better accuracy on the move.

Battle Rifles are still very much in "spam shots" category.
    Scout Rifles is where damage per shot gets high enough, and RoF low enough, that it becomes beneficial to carefully aim each shot.

NS Vandal is the most notable scout rifle, as it gets 75% ADS speed on top of everything.
  13. Jubikus

Thx for clearing that up.
    I wish they had more Battle rifles is there only 1 per faction?
  14. Iridar51

1 per faction, and 1 auraxium variant per faction, awarded for auraxiuming scout rifles and the one battle rifle, I think. Don't remember what the differences are for he auraxium variant.
  15. Goretzu

I think the issue now (Engi-wise) is the Archer actually often works as well or better in the situations the BR might have worked better than the alternatives (for example, NC-wise a Razor and Archer loadouts pretty much preclude any need for a Warden loadout for anything other than AUXing).
    For the other classes that can use BRs they are already basically just subpar choices.

BRs are definately ok after their last set of buffs (before that they were terrible), but they certainly still aren't a weapon of choice.
    • Up x 1
  16. teks

I can't argue with this. Its certainly true that the archer is stepping all over the battle rifles.
    • Up x 1
  17. Goretzu

The problem is it is difficult to see a solution/'change that doesn't make BRs either Scout Rifles (which arguably may be no bad thing, although DBGs might disagree, and it would be hard to justify SR on HAs, for example) or just better than them (which shouldn't happen).
  18. Pikachu

Buff battlerifles and scout rifles and increase their contrast to scout rifles. Faq yeah.

Raise warden damage to 334. Reduce ROF and magazine little.
    Increase shadow max damage range so it's much further than warden, to like 30m. Raise it's ROF.
    Increase SASR damage to 490 to kill injured targets easier. Increase max damage range.
    Make impetus shoot faster than SPR and reduce max damage range.
    Increase ROF for SAS-R and reduce max damage range.

Battle rifles will kill faster than scout rifles and sniper rifles but only at close range.
    Scout rifles will kill faster than sniper rifles but within a more limited range.
    Close range: battle rifle > scout rifle > sniper rifle
    Mid range: battle rifle ~= scout rifle ~= sniper rifle
    Long range: sniper rifle > scout rifle > battle rifle
  19. Eternaloptimist

The big real-life advantage of BRs that kept them in service for so long was accuracy over long range and sheer stopping power that included the ability to overcome body armour and even (in the case of the old SLR) hard cover like brick walls. I see a little bit of this range and raw damage advantage in game BRs but not enough to make them a better choice than automatic weapons. Maybe something like the reduction in damage resistance that you get with some RLs would be worth trying? It's not the same as increasing the damage as it would have a disproportionately higher impact on targets with higher strength ballistic shields like max nanoweave, HA overshield or the (dare I say it after recent nerfs) Max Kinetic armour and that NC Aegis shield thingy.
    Nowadays I only revert to a BR for longer range static fire fights (quite rare) and even then, I'm having more fun with the Blackhand atm.