Flight Controls Changes - Need Feedback

Discussion in 'Test Server: Announcements' started by PS2_Luke, Mar 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runegrace

I mean sensitivity accelerates regardless of how fast you move your mouse. It is most obvious when you have low sensitivity: Bob your view up and down rapidly, and you will eventually pitch up and down at the same speed as if you had max sensitivity.

Most people aren't aware of what's going on, and just say it 'feels bad'. I had to emulate the mouse onto a joystick to get uniform input in order to figure it out myself. If you fly at higher sensitivity you'll notice it less as well.

This is unique to the control revamp, and it will likely not be fixed. The devs have a long history of breaking stuff then just leaving it there to suffer:

-Back when they introduced Engagement Radar to help new players fly they broke it a week later in an update so ER did absolutely nothing. For over a month ER was basically a troll slot for new players before it was fixed again, causing players to spend certs on a utility that did not function. This was luckily fixed, but way too slow.

-With the maintained lock patch on Tomcats, they gained the ability to chain-fire if your reload finishes while a missile is in the air. If an ESF is moving away from you, it's very easy to drop them in a matter of seconds with non-stop missiles. This remains.

-Coyotes were released in a very UP state, buffed to an OP state, then rather than pull them back devs decided to instead make Stealth basically be a 100% guard against them. This makes not only Coyotes worthless, but hurts Hyenas and the Striker uniquely as well since they use the same lock mechanic. This remains.

The control scheme change is just another entry in the list. The devs don't seem to care, and not enough players care to get the devs to take action.
  2. Czarinov

What you're speaking about is hitting max rates of roll and pitch. Same rates if you were to use binds for it. If you move your mouse slower than the max pitch rate, then pitch rate is (exponentially) proportional to your mouse input. If I move my mouse slowly at constant speed - I will turn / pitch at constant speed. There is no acceleration without you moving your mouse even faster (until you hit that max pitch / roll rate)...

In course of last week I played with higher and lower senses, no man, there is no randomness to it, there is a positive acceleration and a max rate wall, that's all.

I care a lot about air. I care about bad ceiling mechanic, I care about absence of tracer outlines (so you can see them when looking at white skies). All the good pilots are the same - no one has the issue you talk about, it's not because we didn't notice. How could we NOT notice, man, we know our Esfs the best of all players. The issue is a myth. OR it is a problem of your windows settings or maybe enabled additional acceleration ingame.
    • Up x 1
  3. Runegrace

The problem is the max pitch rate is the same regardless of sensitivity and mouse speed once you've broken free. I'm running out of ways to explain this, so let me try to simplify the hell out of it with an example.

-Mouse acceleration and all that is off. Clearly. Raw input.
    -I have set up the ability to constantly pitch up, and am now doing full-speed barrel rolls.
    -At the press of a button, I am able to toggle the mouse input to 1/4th the value of what it was previously.

When I press that button, what do you think happens to the speed at which I'm spinning in circles? If you answered "You continue to do barrel rolls at the exact same speed" you'd be correct.

Next, I hold one of the yaw buttons while doing this. What do you think happens to the speed? If you answered "It suddenly slows down to spinning at 1/4th the speed", then you'd be correct again.

Now, way in the past I got into an argument about AB times and it turned out that my client, legit, failed to update properly and was still using pre-patch values. I had to validate files in order to fix it. Maybe something like that happened (I am literally validating right now just in case), but this is what I observe in my testing. Validation finished, no files downloaded but I will test again. Testing results: same behavior.

This was not how pitch worked for me pre-patch. Now, I'm using some unholy combination of gamepad with joystick mouse emulation for this so it's not completely 1:1 with M+KB. Mapping pitch up to a mouse button still lets you turn at the same speed (even if flight sensitivity is 0), but I don't get the speed snaring when using yaw. This is me trying to work out just what they changed and it still drives me crazy.
    • Up x 1
  4. Czarinov

That's how it's supposed to be... Why would max pitch rate differ for different senses? It's an aircraft property. If you keep trying to turn the wheel in your car after it hit the limit, it doesn't matter how much you try, your car will still turn the same.

JUST tested in VR:

I was in the air, with no forward movement. Did a test on Pitch up only (using key bind) and then on Pitch + Right Yaw. I don't have the timing software and the path for those movements are different, but visually, NO slowing down in pitching when using Yaw. Def. not 1/4 or 1/2. Nothing.

I understand this is something different to what you're telling. You basically emulate mouse input with your key binds, right? Tbh the game is not to be played by messing with inputs. If it doesn't work for you, who's fault is this. Anyway, post a video of what you're talking about, then we can speak about it.

Sorry for you, there is no issue for me and other good pilots in using KB+M for flying, there is no issue on our PCs anyway. The amount of explaining you do won't help, unless you provide detailed video material.
    • Up x 1
  5. Canadianpride12.0

I really would appreciate that the flight controls have a slider where you can control the level of acceleration and a setting chosing to disable and or use positive or negative acceleration. Flight controls have been messed with in the past and the result is usually negative. Please try and increase options rather than forcing this on everyone.
    • Up x 1
  6. TR5L4Y3R

haven´t played on the testserver recently but i realy would like to yaw/rotate my aircraft with the mouse because with the current settings it´s just difficult to keep your aim on a target ..
    also if possible allow players to strave via buttonpress than having to roll and push the risebutton
  7. Violence777

no please. no easy buttons for flight. bind your analog throttle and your up down keys n work with it. control is very very good for flight as it is.
  8. MidnightWyvern

I REALLY want this. Mouse flying has never been something I'm good at, but when I use my controller the X-axis is slow as dirt while the Y-axis feels fine, meaning that upping my sensitivity means roll is fine but pitch is unusable.

Could we maybe also get separate X and Y sensitivity sliders?
  9. MidnightWyvern

Alright, scratch that. I was accidentally posting about current flight controls.

This new changes is EXCELLENT. Roll and Pitch now respond the same so I can fly with my controller.

Mouse control honestly doesn't feel that different. I don't know if you've made more recent changes, but I'm not experiencing anything dramatic.
  10. Hell Diguner

There have been no changes, numb-nuts. This is a thread from 2015 that somebody necro'd.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.