[Actually serious] Maxes should be deleted from Planetside 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mustarde, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Kronias

Yes. All of my yes.
  2. Gemenai

Purchasing superiority through nanites?
    Ok then pls delete vehicles as well. They cost nanites and are superior to infantry.

It was said that MAX units hurt the new playerbase, becuase they would get killed several times and ragequit.
    Strange... i use rcursion from time to time and those scrubs seem to ragequit even if i kill them with a BASR , a carbine, shotgun or my trustworthy Beamer. If someone isn't ready to endure to gain experience in the game, then fine í have no problem with them leaving. One can not become skilled without getting his *** beaten and learning from failures.

Let's say we remove them. Then there would be one less force multyplier in the field of AI, AA and AV.

The loss in the AI segment would be nice. Maybe other tactics than MAX crash could evolve ( though lets
    not forget magnetic AV grenades, AV mines which now trigger on MAX in proximity range and C4 which is handed out like candy on Halloween). Or we just highten up the pile of the meatgrinder again.

The loss in AV. Sure no more Vortex and Ravens ( fracture doesn't seem to get much usage anyway). So bigger vehicle columnes are again free to farm the world. You sure are happy to sit in your spawnroom and wait for the timer to go down. I say that, because i don't see a decent portion of you guys or the playerbase in general deciding to lay mines on the roads in preparation. I also don't see the people forming groups of Archer or RL users. And then VS would seem like the only faction with long range AV capabilities with the Lancer. NERF VS calls inc. Though that wouldn't be anything new, again.

And now my biggest concern, the AA.
    How would you effectively engage air without bursters?
    Use Phalanx turrets? Those aren't available at any base.
    Forming squads of AA RL heavies? Yeah we've seen how good something like that worked in the past.
    Or maybe pull several AA sunderer or lightings? That again would require teamwork.
    And then at the next base, everyone keeps sitting in their beloved vehicle out of fear of those evil skyknights.
    In short: I think, that infantry would have severe more problembs, fighting air again.

If you want to remove the MAX in general, you have to especially consider the AV and AA aspect influenced by that loss.
    And i've not even started on the problem of spend cert into the MAX class ( which could be refunded if they are able to do so without any problems or false refund quantities this time) or even worse, the cash spend into it. And then the time spend into and with the class. And the people who liked playing MAX.

It's not enough to only think about the now.
    You must consider what it means for the future.
    Every change has positive and negative impact.

And yes, i enjoy playing MAX from time to time.
  3. Kcalehc

Not sure I understand why you think that's contradictory. Your explanation is a little on the brief side.

Perhaps you have a different definition of 'hard' than I do. I guess shooting something 3 times is hard for you?
  4. Mustarde

Best post in this thread, including the OP
  5. Iridar51

Hard to shoot something with 3 magazines within 15m... something that's actively fighting back and can kill you with 7-13 bullets within 15m.
    7 bullets - 3 magazines kinda big difference. Out of all things I've seen people say "how easy it's to kill a MAX", these "3 magazines" of yours are completely ridiculous. So much so, I don't get why you don't see that yourself.
  6. Tarrick

If you're trying to kill a MAX that's actively shooting at you with your own bullets, then you're doing it wrong. You need to be, or should have already been, running away to re-position. Are you the only two people in the facility? If so, then you'd want to lure it to a corner and toss C4 or try to come up behind it if you can. If not then wait for it to shoot at someone else then pop out and unload more, get back behind cover if it turns back toward you.

People act like they're frozen in place whenever a MAX, that they obviously didn't know was there, walks out in front of them. MAX's are very easy to kill if you have good situational awareness, as they got spotted very quickly most of the time. Knowing is half the battle.
  7. IamDH

Spoiler alert
    MAXes aren't going to be removed
  8. McMan

Here is a sollution to fix MAXes. Make them auto spot on the map for you if they are 20 meters or less away. If someone spots a MAX make them stay on the minimap for 20 seconds instead of 10 like infantry. This way you can see a MAX comming faster and gives you a better chance to prepare or hide or run away.

What do you guys think? It is a soft and easy change but could be good for the game. :)
    • Up x 1
  9. Ronin Oni

For the record, I barely use MAX.

When I do pull one, most of the time it's been for AA duty.

A couple times I pulled AI guns and went on a rampage cause I had max resources and wasn't planning on taking a vehicle anytime soon, and hell with it, lets have fun for a life. (but then I still play aggressively instead of cowering in the corner cause I lost 40% health waiting on some unicorn teamplayer engineer) mow down 10-15 guys then go back to playing medic/engy/LA like I usually do in infantry fights.

Are MAXes easy to use? Yes.

Do they confer an obvious advantage? Again, yes.

Is this game supposed to be balanced on 1v1 combat? Abso-fracking-lutely NOT!

I do agree they're a bit too accessible. #1 the Hossin MAX discount HAS to go.

Other than that I'm willing to talk about some other restrictions or possibly some minor changes, but I'd like to see how things play out w/o MAX discount and the new better MAX counters first. I could see no revive being brought back, though that would likely entail a small cost decrease, I could see a small price increase, I could see limiting how often and where they can be pulled (only hard spawns for example... that'd be a HUUGE defender buff honestly, so not sure how well that'd play out. Maybe VERY well, maybe terribly. Adding more hackable inf terminals might be a good counterbalance and new objective for that purpose though). Attackers could still drop 24-48 MAXes on a point as attackers but it'd take transport to do it... which could be really cool in many ways, so I dunno.

Bottom line though is that I truly believe they play an integral part to the overall gameplay and experience.

This game would bloody suck if it was nothing but infantry and unarmed transport vehicles, no matter how much more "skill based" it would become. It's be downright goddamn terrible.
  10. Ronin Oni

This is a great solution, MAXes are loud clomping things. Vehicles show up without stealth, why don't MAXes? (which don't, and shouldn't, have a stealth option).

Awareness is a big thing, so having unavoidable awareness of MAXes would be a solid nerf without changing combat effectiveness
  11. pnkdth

Way too reasonable of suggestion. If your suggestion isn't as stupid as removing the MAX or some overpowered insanity it will be ignored. There's a good reason why we rarely see any of the devs here and this thread is a perfect example of why.
  12. Iridar51

Exactly my point. It's not as easy to kill a MAX as you made it out to be.
  13. Tarrick

You weren't talking to me, so I don't really know who made what out to be, but it's pretty darn easy to kill them considering their mobility and range. I can't help you if you're not going to even bother trying to play PlanetSide instead of Hogan's Alley.
  14. Iridar51

Ah, my bad. Didn't notice the switch.
    Like I need your help, lol. Reserve it to someone who asks for it.
  15. Gregerman

I couldn't agree more with what you say.

Removing MAXes will make the game more fun for some players but it will also remove a part of planetside that has it's right to be there. But I don't think MAXes are the only reason why people leave planetside. As you said the game is shallow and I believe that's a bigger issue than the MAX is. I belive that planetsides win condition is when you lock a continent and the only things you need to do is:
    1. Clean current base.
    2. Move to the next base.
    3. Camp the points.
    4. repeat 1-3

Planetside 2 is NOTHING more than this in my eyes and it suck because I want to love this game.

I really want more things to do than to shoot people and farm directives, below is some things I want.
    • I want to be able to mine my resources or get them in another way.
    • ANTs
    • I want owning territory to matter, right now there is no reason to give a ****.
    • Some interesting implants, the current ones are such a dissapointment.
    • More UNIQUE faction abilites and weapons, adding more NS weapons kills the game.
    People will say: Oh but it will take long time to develop these features.
    My answer would be: Either do that or continue to die a slow death.
  16. Maljas23

I agree with everything you've said. Well done.

Notice how he wasn't talking about DELETING this class, MAX-haters.
  17. JustBoo

Yeah, that's what happens when you've never touched a real woman.

You clearly have a lot of time on your hands. Among other "things." Pun intended.

Observe.
  18. Iridar51

I don't get it. What does the video of you getting slapped in a bus has to do with me?
  19. Runegrace

I assume by 'fighters' you meant infantry, as they can actually capture the base. A platoon of ESFs would be a comically inappropriate misuse of manpower and resources. If a platoon is repelled by a force 1/3rd the size, it's not the outnumbered guys in MAX suits that are scrubs.

Not to mention this isn't even what I had described as a possible scenario. If you're more interested in hyperbole and playing the victim rather than reasonable discussion, then there's not much point here.
    • Up x 2
  20. Alchemist44

I think it's to be expected tbh.
    • Up x 1