I seriously hate the "Balance Warrior" mentality a lot of people here have

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scienta, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Scienta

They feel its their duty to come here and propose changes in the name of "balance" when its only to really mold the game to their own playstyle, as if they know anything about the games inner workings enough to be an authority of how it should work. Its foolish and ignorant, and actually quite ineffectual, which is actually funny to me. They are so passionate about buffing this, removing that, yet their words fall on deaf ears. Also something else that is ironic, is that most of these balance suggestions would send the game into even more of a tumble if they were passed onto the game.

Its just downright silly, and you should think a little more before you post.
    • Up x 9
  2. Ryo313

well i do agree on that but not all posts are bad.
    imo the real issue here is the lack of Community Managers like you see in almost every other mmo.
    • Up x 6
  3. CursoryRaptor

Ryo is right. If there were more in the way of feedback from the company, we probably wouldn't see as much rage threads.

The opposite of communication is not silence.
    The opposite of communication is conflict.
    • Up x 1
  4. Mustarde

Nothing wrong with balance warriors, as you call them. People are always free to skip over the stuff they don't want to read. But lets consider some balance changes this game has seen.

-Massive HE nerf
    -Massive rocket pod nerf
    -Overhaul of lock on and striker nerf
    -General shotgun nerf
    -Buffs to a lot of the NC carbines/AR's
    -ZOE nerf
    -Rocket launcher nerfs
    -Nanoweave nerf
    -Scout rifle buffs
    -Removal of scope sway for 1-4x weapons
    - coming soon: removal of the bugged double damage from sticky grenades

Personally I've been a voice in over half of those issues, which have been patched to live server. And I think the game is much better for it. Especially the ZOE, which single handed made a portion of the Mattherson TR/NC playerbase quit during its heyday.

In a game this large and complex, balance will always be a chasing dream. But if you can make a reasonable argument for why certain changes would improve the game, there's no reason it can't be shared with others. Who knows, perhaps a dev will pull up their own internal metrics, agree with you, and bring it up at their next meeting.
    • Up x 9
  5. 0fly0

Not sure about all that when i ask for a nerf of the HA shield, like no shield for headshot to be less op it's not by ignorance, it's one of my main class, i have days playtime with ha and i know it is too powerfull, like it was the case for ppa, the weapon was really fun, i had a great time using it on my mag and harraser but it had to be nerf even if the nerf could have been less extreme.
  6. maxkeiser

Sadly, the people calling for nerfs/balance have been trying to ruin the game since it came out.
    • Up x 4
  7. Migs

Any public forum of a game is always going to be full of complaints about X or how Y is too strong

I would like one or two active DBG members to quell the nerfthreads on the forum and help balance it out, just seeing an active voice from the company is better than being in the dark and feeling like we're being ignored.

I'd personally love to see more suggestions for new content on the forums, I'd love to see new concepts rather than the multitude of nerf/buff threads
    • Up x 2
  8. Czarinov

Ok...

Oh, I see. Those people can't propose any changes at all, but you have the right to say that it would worsen the game if changes are made. Are you that authority that you spoke about?

You should use your own advice.
    • Up x 1
  9. Obstruction

they should hire someone whose only job is to tell people to stop being babies. maybe even a celebrity spokesperson, not an expensive one, maybe just like Shia Labeouf coming around once in a while to shout at people to grow up and/or learn to play, as needed.
  10. Migs

11. Scienta

In a lot of those situations, I doubt the massive amount of forum spam was the core factor of change. While I will admit those are good changes, the majority of things proposed are completely idiotic, and just to have them floating around feels destructive.

Things I have seen that would totally ruin the way the game plays.
    Removal of the HA
    Removal of MAXes
    Removal of Shotguns
    Removal of Snipers
    Nerfs to MBTs (especially the Mag, people seem to have a seething hatred for it, at least when brought up)
    Removal of C4
    Removal of ESFs anti infantry role entirely.

Its kind of funny, most of the time when these radical entities call for change, they want it nuked from orbit. They make no mention of a sensible way to make it work, and insist the game is better of without them entirely. Nothing constuctive comes from that point of view, it only hurts the game.

My personal belief on the matter, is that Planetside, since PS1, has fed of the energy of imbalance, and made it into fun and interesting dynamic gameplay. You are supposed to be killed by some things, there should never be a completely level playing field. While things being entirely too powerful can exist, and should be corrected, there should be things that give an edge, that could be perceived as unfair, and it is, but its ultimately healthy, especially for the scale of the game we have here.

If you are worried about dying ten times in a row, you simply picked the wrong game to play, this is a game about war, not fair competition.

But I digress. My stupid video game philosophy is probably just as terrible as the others I am ******** on here.
    • Up x 2
  12. teks

The problem is no one uses some the things you listed at all because they were made completely useless. That's not balance.
    HE, strikers, ZOE for example. These weren't balanced. In their current state they should have just been removed so players could get a refund on their wasted certs.
    • Up x 2
  13. Garrum

You're gonna have to back those up in some way, because I can only see positives from the outright removal of those things.
  14. Mustarde

They did do a ZOE refund. HE lightning is still hilariously good for farming. Don't personally have much experience with MBT HE though.

Striker is on DBG's list for a rework. The big problem there is that the striker was overpowered AND benefitting from the broken lockon mechanics. Unfortunately SOE corrected both at once and sent striker back to the ice age. Then decided that instead of improving the lockon aspect, they would make it more unique, like a dumbfire fracture - but were afraid to make it actually good so now it's just a ****** firework launcher.

A simple velocity and ROF buff, and maybe 2-3 more rounds in the mag and you'd have the same mechanic with a more compelling design.
  15. AxiomInsanity87

• Up x 1
  16. customer548

Balance will always be better than imbalance, for sure.

But perhaps PS2 has lost a bit of its appeal. I remember PS2 as being a rough, brutal game during its 1rst and a half year. Nowdays, it looks like a balanced (which is a good thing) but perhaps a bit "mainstream" game.

I don't remember having any real balance trouble during those past 3 years. Only MBT HE were obviously a bit "too much" overpowered. I remember that TR harassers were way too powerful too.
    I miss the "old" Nanoweave. You could tank as hell while being a lonely CQC infi. :D Nowdays, i think they made the game way more easier than it was. Even sniping has become boring because of its simplicity. Because of people whining.

I don't even read "Omg,Nerf Asap", "Omg UP Asap" threads. These are endless speeches (i'm not waiting for others to share my own opinion about it). I think Devs have the statistics tools in order to notice what is wrong in the game.

When PS2 Devs had to make changes, they never made really boring/frustrating ones. I know another famous firm which always prefered to choose one single random class and make it overpowered. Each 6 monthes or 12 monthes, they choose another class and make it overpowered while nerfing the previous one. This is more than boring, a trick for bringing a false balance and an untrue idea of "new content for a new gameplay".
    • Up x 1
  17. Jubikus

Tho i agree many posts about balance are ill informed rages there are some good discussions on how to bring back unused equipment that has either been implemented in a state where it brings nothing that other weapons don't do better like the faction specific sniper rifles of VS and TR or have been nerfed to an unusable state like the striker or simply arnt up to par with their counterparts like the fractures.

Personally i have made a thread on possibly making the Striker better by removing the COF and bullet drop so you can at least aim it properly and harass from distance even tho it would still not hit very hard and take a while to empty the mag.

Sometimes a discussion can bring up good points somone might not have realized like the ZOE being pretty crap well my argument there would be the NC shield that protects you from one direction and you cant shoot and the lockdown that gets you AMR , c4d, shelled since you cant strafe are also quite crap and are therefor kind of balanced.
  18. FieldMarshall

I hate that people try to make the word "balance" something negative. People dont like balanced games?
    • Up x 2
  19. Goretzu

SOE (and now DBGs) have never have a good record for not overbalancing though, it works both ways the serious/insane over buff (PS1 Lasher 2.0) and the completely unfounded nerf (EQ1 Monk Mitigation nerf).

They do eventually get to something like balance though, it just can be painful on the way.
    • Up x 1
  20. teks

lol they gave ZOE a refund? That's pretty funny. :D

HE is inferior to the viper. The default gun. Its also inferior to heat. It has a longer reload time and less velocity for a marginal non-lethal splash increase. I tank a lot. I can say HE is absolutely useless.
    Ironically, this effected me because I run an AP lightning and now there are no HE farmers for me to kill. Now all tanks run AP which homogenized the experience somewhat.

I know the striker is in the 'works', but this problem existed before I took a full year break from the game, and it persists in the same state upon my return. Don't hold your breath TR. ;)