[Actually serious] Maxes should be deleted from Planetside 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mustarde, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Kronias

Redeploy should be limited to Major Facilities that aren't being attacked. With no instant action. That's how I would fix that. But you make a good point. Developers often say, the fans don't really know what they want. I hate that phrase every time I see it, but sometimes, sometimes I think there is truth in that statement. The community is not always right.
  2. Taemien

I'm going to say what I did in the other thread. Which is the opposite of what this one suggests.

OP says the MAX is Overpowered.

Others say it is Underpowered.

OP + UP = Balanced.

There's nothing to fix.
    • Up x 6
  3. Donaldson Jones

Strawman.
    • Up x 3
  4. 0fly0

I say it for month now it's the bigest problem with the game it's not max or tank or air, it's the ******* ressource system, before that max was far from being cheap and people don't always have the ressource or the time limiter gone for spawning them, now i kill a max and it come back 2 min, it's a complete joke, when i use my ap lightning or mag and kill a Tr tank, the guy come back spamming vulcan harrasser until i die, also love this one killing a guy in mbt with my lighting and receive a message "i'm coming for you" the guy spawn a lib only for killing me, drop it and go back to tank, thank's to ressource system now everyone can kill you by using more powerfull weapon, i guess that's why cobalt is full of liberator now.
  5. Jawarisin

Out of all of them, pounders are my favorite. Although past a certain range, ravens are better. But I still prefer pounders.

To shoot other maxes/because 2nd arm is cheap compared to 2-3k for AI arms.
    • Up x 1
  6. Jubikus

To all the people who dislike maxes they serve a purpose of being the only thing that can break stalemates in bases where vehicles cant outside of outpopping by 30% most complaints are from people that want to go agaisnt something they are always on equalish footing with and to them i say go play a regular arena shooter. Maxes serve a roll and tho they may be a little to good at it they are already going to take a dive with the upcoming patch but removing them entirely will make indar hell as many of the bases are easily vehicle camped and maxes are the only thing that can push back heavys just don't cut it sometimes.

You might also say that just make heavys good enough to push out but if they did this you would have to have rockets cost ninites because you need to cost one side nanites to defeat other sides nanites and rocket launchers now can do this but not very well alone tanks usually only go down when several people are shooting rockets at them not some random shmuck.

Maxes are the infantry nanite solution to deal with tanks and stalemate defenses if you want them removed i would like a good replacement for being able to deal with what a max is meant for while it also costing ninaites as if it were free vehicles would be pointless and if vehicles were free they would be spammed.
    • Up x 1
  7. IronMouse

Actually, I don't mind Maxes one bit. I play LA mostly, and can deal with them just fine. If I get killed by one, well I don't mind that either.

If we had to remove a class, I'd definitely go with the Infiltrator. What more annoying than getting sniped from across a hill? By a coward who can't even show his face? Seriously?! Yuck.
    • Up x 1
  8. thebigbortishbort

merely removing the class isn't the way to go , id suggest reworking it instead if major changes were going to happen , id suggest a kind of experimental trooper with special ES weapons / abilities , kinda a heavy experimental assault person thingy could be fun.
    • Up x 1
  9. Haquim

Well, thats strange.

Last thing I heard was that tanks are defenseless againt those fast ESFs swooping in and Dalton Liberators annihilated whole tankcolumns before they could react....
    Joking aside, the only reason why you need the bursters stupid range is because sometimes (if the fight is small enough) Zepher and PPA can fly outside of lock-on range. If that was fixed (and people finally started using lock-on launchers instead of complaining about how they get farmed) we wouldn't need them. Which is a shame, because its the only thing that works with my TR ability without signing my own death warrant.

I do not agree about infantery being powerless against tanks though.
    All you need is a hill, a couple rocketlaunchers, a little bit of strafing, and the tanks can't do **** except for the occasional lucky hit.
    They still need infantery closing up and taking the fortress if they want to proceed, they can't really do it on their own if the numbers are somewhat balanced.
    Of couse you can overrun an outnumbered enemy with anything.

Hmm... I gotta see if I can make a whole platoon of fury wraiths, hunting down MBTs and Sundys.....
  10. Iridar51

Snipers are annoying, but they do require a certain degree of aiming skill to be effective, and in 99% of cases are easily countered just by staying on the move or indoors.

Nowhere near the level of MAXes.
  11. Kristan

You forgot twice as big hitbox, you know. And according to DPS, it has just a bit higher DPS than default carbine. I don't mean Onslaught, but comparing to high ROF carbines/LMGs/assault rifles somewhat tells me DPS going to be somewhat close too.
  12. Jubikus

Hills arnt readily available to all bases and not all bases are in a state where your hill isnt the place where the enemy MBT is parked sure infantry can defeat tanks but in an equal number battle 1 tank is 1-2 platers max and you will need more than that to stop them from laying hell on the base your trying to defend.

You can always pull your own tank or Air to deal with tanks shelling a base but theese options are not used over tanks because of the time it takes to get it and get to the battle in which theres a good chance your base is already doomed.

maxes are fine C4 is the easiest way to take em out or just a spam of fire which basically everyone has for their option except infiltrators.
  13. IronMouse

Down to personal preference I guess. MAXes go down pretty fast - C4 or the fact that they become and instant target by default for squads/platoons, land and air vehicles.

Anyway the only 2 things that TRULY piss me off in PS2 are medics who ignore your dead body while they step over it, and getting killed by sniping infiltrators and SOMETIMES stalker cloaked ones (note that I don't SMG Infiltrators). I HATE campers. I despise camping. I play aggressively and still manage to keep my K/D to 2.6 (NC), 2.9 (TR) and 3.2 (VS) while scoring around 400/min, KPM around 2. Definitely not top stats, but I proud myself in not being - a camper.

All said, camping Infiltrators, sniping a mile across, are a nuisance. MAXes - I can hear them coming, outmaneuver them and kill them. Most of the time.
  14. MetalCotton

I'm going to pass on the hurricane of a s**t-fling fest that is the rest of the thread and instead stick on OP's argument, so forgive me if something I say was mentioned later on.

This is clearly false, because the thread would have died within an hour if this was the case, and DBG would be rushing to delete the MAX suit because of this one post. In all honesty I thought it was kind of funny the thread title included [Actually serious], I was genuinely convinced most of this was sarcasm until I noticed it.

The very first thing mentioned is shotguns. Which I can get. Shotguns can be a real pain in the rear, especially coming from a MAX. I can't tell you how many times I've 2-shotted some poor soul that came sprinting around a corner right into my face. I've been on the receiving end as well, usually when I make the mistake of sprinting around a corner to begin with. It sucks, it happens. It doesn't happen enough to warrant MAX suit removal, especially since only one faction in the game comes equipped with shotguns for their MAX suits unless I missed something in a recent update.
    And secondly, be honest here: When was the last time you've been threatened by a lone MAX suit with Bursters? When you're flying away with your tail between your legs with a sliver of health because Sammy Skyguard deterred you with his AA gun? They don't effectively counter anything in this game unless they're deployed en-masse(Barring the occasional building full of infantry), in which case a squad of generic infantry would work almost as well due to the zerg mentality of this 'Combined Arms' game. Got more soldiers than the enemy? Stalemate. Got A LOT more soldiers than the enemy? Send 'em in, win facility, collect moist panties and Vanu spandex. That's about all there is to Planetside 2, and no amount of statistics someone grabs from a website about weapon/class use and K/D ratios to try and strawman their way through that fact will prove otherwise.

Don't worry though, because MAX suits aren't invincible. The stray tank shell, brick of C4 carried by four out of five of the standard infantry classes(including the one with the jetpack), most vehicle weapons and the vehicles themselves(Getting ran over by a Flash in a MAX is fun.), rocket launchers carried by one of the most played classes in-game, and the inevitable hails of bullets coming their way will down a MAX suit in short order, so you can send that skillsuit-loving punk back home with minus 450 Nanites. The Brass is impressed, soldier.

Quite frankly, I'd rather have a Sunderer or a MBT over a MAX suit, but to each their own.
    There'd be a lot more MAXes on the field if this were true, and a lot less of everything else that requires a Nanite expenditure. Are they used a lot? Yes, I'd say they are. For a 450 cert investment, they see a lot of use. Apparently being popular means broken, now.
    It doesn't matter what you buy with your nanites, what does matter is how you use your investment. For every MAX suit sending the local ESF farm to hell by shooting Bursters through the Spawnroom shield, there are five more being C4'd, run over by a tank, or hit with a Decimator to the face. Ever get blasted with a Phoenix while trying to cross a bridge? What a fun investment.

I see a bland, boring shooter that's essentially F2P Battlefield from outer space. Imagine those 96+ fights, where you're still getting ran down by the local Xx360NoSc0pexX using something other than a MAX suit. Imagine those little fights, where 60% of the time it's all a matter of who starts shooting at who first. You're not changing the whole experience by removing a class that's only overpowered because of the mob mentality that comes with calling something overpowered to begin with has gone full ham on MAX suits.

And quite frankly, Dirty Bomb and Planetside 2 are entirely different games. It's not fair to compare a better Brink with F2P Battlefield, or logical to begin with. There's a lot of poor game design in Planetside 2, don't make it worse by bringing down the guillotine and chopping off limbs that could just as easily be mended back to perfect health.

Anyways, that's about my opinion on the matter. MAX suits are broken, but not as horrifically game-removingly broken as you seem to imply. Now to wait for the inevitable replies(Hi Iridar).

TL;DR, you're wrong on so many levels Mustarde. MAX suit for President 2016
    • Up x 5
  15. Jawarisin

Just remember to tell me where that platoon is. I'm sure zephering that would be lots of fun.

But no, tanks are not defenceless against air. That's the whole point. Only scrubs get killed by air. All you need is 2 MBT, 3 to be 100% safe. Provide they got 1 person per MBT with walker+ whatever main gun (usually AP), they are basically immune to air unless they are really really dumb.

Hell, 2 MBTs each standing 50-75m away with a walker on top are immune to air.
    Yeah, noobs being noobs, that's not always the case. But then, the liberator can be a newb also. You just see less of those, because they usually crashed before they got to the tanks.
  16. sebastian oscar post

DO I SERISLY HAVE TO SAY THIS: NO F*CKING WHINGING ABOUT THE FEATURES!
  17. Iridar51

Whinging about people whinging... that's fresh. (not really)
  18. orangejedi829

Everyone saying this:
    [IMG]
  19. Konstantinn

Maxes are needed in this game. Just my opinion.

And frankly, I love how having high K/D somehow gives people higher moral ground in all arguments. Like some bully attacking everyone disagreeing with his insane idea of taking out maxes (this is PLANETSIDE, it's literally NOT PLANETSIDE without maxes) by asking them "Oh how many x do you have?". Grats, you found ways to abuse the system and somehow found more time to play this game than most average (or should i say normal?) people, though you probably should know that there are many other more important qualifications to be a game developer.
    • Up x 7
  20. prodo123

[IMG]
    • Up x 2