"air is OP"

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DaRealNattyIce, Jun 9, 2015.

1. FateJH

If they try to fly, they likely crash or get shot down.
    In other scenarios, hopefully someone reminds that they pull a Burster MAX. And, later, a comment is made that getting the second Burster makes the whole package work better.

If the new player didn't explore enough to even find the Burster, he most likely won't find the A2A launcher, even if it were given to him for free in the same way his first Burster was.
  2. stalkish

Its a litte more intuitive to look for a rocket to down an ESF than a flak launcher, especially if said noob has played other FPS games such as battlefield and COD, but i can essentially agree with that.

I guess the position is, 'air kills noobs' but its also the case that 'everything kills noobs' so i dont see it as much of a problem.
  3. zaspacer

I usually start with an Engineer, Spawning a Sunderer, then trying to get it setup in a difficult but great location. I switch between Infil, HA, and Engineer to protect the Sunderer and/or support troops and/or apply pressure. Often an enemy Tank will end up overwhelming me and my Sunderer and various Infantry defenders. So I often then switch to an ESF to knock out that Tank. If I am then overwhelmed by a better ESF pilot or ESF Gank Squad or ESF Swarm, I will then switch to HA and chase the enemy ESFs from the skies.

(non-Battle Bus) Sunderer + Infantry < Tank
    Tank < ESF
    ESF < Ace/Gank Squad ESF
    Ace/Gank Squad ESF < HA w/ Annihilator

That's my typical flowchart, and I often cycle through it over and over.

I think I am able to have such success with the Annihilator because I've spent a lot of time flying, so I know how to make it really be a pain for enemy ESFs.
  4. Czarinov

I already wrote a lot on the matter. Getting tired of repeating myself and you not reading my other comments is a direct DISRESPECT.

Sorry to say, but your 1vs1 analysis, infantry shoots ESF, ESF shoots back, is beyond stupidity.

Anyway keep your excuses for not trying and not using your brains.

The f *cking ignorance of some people on this forum is over the roof (generally speaking).
  5. Ronin Oni

You get BR2 in like 5 minutes.

BR2 comes with 1000 certs.

NON ISSUE

You don't even hardly know wtf an aircraft is before you can buy the counter which you also know nothing of
  6. Geddes

Air is op, and all the pilots are jerks and I cant fly and everything is terrible, please nerf tankbuster because i dont like the sound of it.
    • Up x 2
  7. Leivve

My problem with air is that the only things that are a threat to them can't aim high enough to shoot them, and things that can aren't effective enough to reliably kill them. 1v1 a liberator with a tank buster can take on a phalanx turret and not even be on fire.

I know this because I was shooting and a liberator floated down and hovered right in front of me like 10 meters away from my gun (I could have gotten out and probably jumped to throw a c4 brick on him that's how close he was) and he crushed me even though i'm suppose to be AA.

meanwhile something a Liberator would have to fear, an AP MBT, can't look up high enough to reliably hit them.
    • Up x 1
  8. JohnGalt36

I disagree with this. I have probably downed at least 20 ESF's to every time an ESF has killed my tank. The only way this happens is if there is no cover, they use hornets, and they come straight down above the tank. That's assuming I don't have a Ranger or Walker on top.
  9. zaspacer

Vanguard's are definitely usually better vs. ESF than any other non-Skyguard Tank. And Vanguard is safe if they have true cover or enough AA support and line-of-sight.

Your success against ESFs may be due to a Higher G2A Skill Vanguard player vs. Lower Skill ESF players. And my success against Vanguards might be due to a Higher A2G Skill ESF vs. Lower Skill Vanguard players.

Both Vanguards and ESFs put up numbers killing each other. And both are at the top of the Food Pyramid. All I'm saying is that when my Sunderer and HA/Engineer get killed by a Tank, it's my ESF that I go to to get the job done of dealing with that Tank. My ESF deals with (non-Skyguard) Tanks, my HA Annihilator deals with Air over my ESF ability.
    • Up x 1
  10. Jubikus

I think the reason people believe air to be overpowerd is the inability to respond to the threat. Unlike tanks where anything thats not an infiltrator can have C4 and use LOS tho you will likely still never kill a good tanker outside of a light assult or heavy this still give you the feeling that you had a chance however against air the feeling is different when a lib flys by and does a strafing run even tho hes killing less than the tank many of the infantry have the no chance feeling all you can do is hide you cant fight back.

Another factor that may contribute to air seeming overpowered might be the learning curve. Air is one of the best things against other air so experienced pilots are constantly on the lookout for other pilots and well this causes a few things the occur. First pilots are typically very skilled and will take out people trying to learn to fly with ease this often leads to people not learning to fly as where on ground a noob might pull a tank and roll with an armor column air columns really arnt a thing. Now this in turn also changes the the dynamic, people are used to tanks and infantry where basically theres a wide range of player skill however with air most people that will pull air are generally good at it and those who arnt die instantly basically people will get the feeling air might be overpowered because all the people doing it are really good as to where on ground youll come across many more people that are ok or bad before anyone who is good basically the average pilot is much more skilled at what they do than people on the ground are.

Now i dont really believe air is overpowered other than flight ceiling Galaxys because they are impossible to shoot down unless you go to another base but there are a few unique odd things about the people that play them and the ability to respond to them not being on many classes that make it seem like it is even tho it really is no better than tanks
    • Up x 1
  11. Jubikus

Air is an odd thing in planetside
  12. Peebuddy

You know what I've seen as of recently on Connery to counter these "sky Knights" are roving bands of A2A ESFs. I'd quite frequently run into a pack of scythes (rarely see any reavers doing this though) at max altitude pouncing on anything that flies with lock-ons. Now you may think you're a bad *** but 5 ESFs with lock-ons is really tough to beat, forces you to use flares which severely reduces your A2G survivability.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is "Fake it till you make it" and run with a partner or two.
  13. Ulas

I created an NC account on connery this week. Whenever I log on there were 5-15 scythes with lockons. I don't think this would work out For cobalt or emerald tho. there are soo many good pilots. I would fear 15 good pilots in ts more than I fear 15 noobs with lockons
  14. PKfire

Lul
  15. KuzKombain

21st century and you still NOT ALLOWED to customize controls to YOUR NEEDS... why even allow to CHANGE anything AT ALL?? FREE MOUSE AXIS for ALL. Make people play vs each other and not vs controls... IMHO
    • Up x 1
  16. Obstruction

17. stalkish

So ill repeat.........again.......again.

That BR1 fresh off the block can engage aircraft effectively with what??????
    Thats all i want an answer for, not how to get AA, not when to get AA, not whether they can see air, use AA, take a dump without help. I dont want to know what the BR1 had for dinner the previous day, or what car they drive, or how many times they've been to the dentist in the last year.
    All the reponses ive had are about as relevant as the above.
    I guess i know the reason for that...

Its all irrelevant anyway, my point was that the statement, 'All infantry have access to AA at all times' is incorrect. Thats it, thats my point, nothing more, im not saying 'Air OP cuz johnny BR1 cant solo it'.
  18. stalkish

And Im getting tired of reading crap on this forum that has no relation to actual gameplay.

Therefore, all i wanted was clarification that a BR1 fresh off the block is part of ''all infantry have access to AA at all times'', i just wanted clarification on the accuracy of that statement. Is a BR1 fresh from char creation included in the statement ''all infantry have access to AA at all times'', the word 'ALL' to me suggests it is, as in being inclusive of every player.
    Instead of providing clarification or simply admitting you overlooked that a fresh BR1 doesnt have access to effective AA, you call me ignorant. (at this point im not even sure if it was your statement, so many people have answered my question).

My 1v1 analysis was a direct response to your suggestion of a BR1 fresh from the char creation screen using his LMG to down the ESF. If my comparison is stupid, what does that make your suggestion?
  19. Obstruction

if you want to restrict it to flak sources, 2 of 4 are available to BR1. phalanx turrets on many bases, often with overlapping fields of fire, and single Burster MAX arm that can be fired out of shields. the ranger is ineffective and the sky guard has a high skill floor due to its native platform, but they are often available as platoon or outfit pulls even if not available to BR1 lone wolves.

if you want to expand it to non-flak soft-AA or situational/opportunity AA, that includes every basilisk on every stock vehicle, spear turrets, aspis turrets, dumb fires, and what randomly available walkers, drakes, and rangers may exist among vehicles that they may crew in a platoon or open vehicle.
  20. Ronin Oni

BR1 doesn't need an answer for everything.

Holy jeebus. THere's like 1 BR1 for every 100+ players so WTF is the rest of their faction doing?

The LAST thing the BR1 needs concern themselves with is AA duty. They've got enough crap to learn as it is.
    • Up x 1