[Suggestion] Bullpups and some new class armour?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Belzeebub, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Belzeebub

Personally I think it'd be nice to have some bullpup weapons ranging from CQB weapons, to assault rifles and DMRs.

Also it'd be nice to see some new class armours, like some sort of variation of a ghuillie suit for the infiltrators for example.

Thoughts?
  2. Eternaloptimist

The NS PDW is a bullpup, but the only one I know of. I too think some more cosmetics would be nice but less essential than fixing bugs and/or offering new content
  3. XanIves

NC has the GD-22 or some carbine that's a bullpup, along with their SMG's. Bullpups are pretty much exclusive to CQB, since their advantages are shorter profile for easier handling, and more compact. For medium-long range standard rifle designs are superior due to their greater barrel length and recol compensation.
  4. AlterEgo

[IMG]
    This is the 22s.
    [IMG]
    This is the AC-X.
    [IMG]
    This is the GD-7.
    [IMG]
    This is the AF-19.
    [IMG]
    This is the Bandit.
    [IMG]
    This is the Razor.

I don't see a Bullpup:(
    • Up x 3
  5. ColonelChingles

Actually most bullpup designs will have the same barrel length while having a shorter overall length (OAL).

For example, the "conventional" M16 rifle has a 20 inch barrel (39.5" OAL). The bullpup L85 on the other hand actually has a longer barrel than the M16 at 20.4" while being shorter overall (30.9" OAL). So you can see how bullpup designs give you comparable barrel lengths while maintaining a more manageable OAL. In a nutshell, that's one of the chief advantages of a bullpup design.

The only partial truth to your statement is that your "sight radius", or the distance between your front and rear sights, tends to be longer in a conventional rifle design and hence practically more accurate (makes the shooter more accurate although the mechanical accuracy of the firearm is the same). Though if shooters are using various types of optical sights, then this slight advantage becomes moot.

As for recoil, not much difference there. That would come down more to individual weapon design than whether the weapon was conventional of bullpup. Sometimes people "feel" that bullpups recoil more simply because muzzle flash and noise is closer to the face, but that's more a perception than anything.
  6. asdfPanda

Light Assault exclusive, perhaps?
  7. AlterEgo

As a traditional guy who's not that expert in terms of guns, I would love to see the return of WW2 American weapons, only SERIOUSLY modernized. For example, a heavier M1A1 Thompson (to reduce recoil, and maybe, a longer barrel could go along), a M1 Garand with a MASSIVE barrel along with newer ammunition caliber, and best of all... the BAR, complete with revamped handles, an improved barrel, and a larger magazine area to fit in some extra bullets. In my opinion, the use of the M4 Carbine over the M16 was the worst idea ever, as some soldiers reported that the 5.56 mm bullets used by the M4 did not deal enough puncture damage to completely kill enemies, with a few cases in which enemies continued to fire their guns despite being shoot through the chest area.
  8. ColonelChingles

Both of those actually use the same cartridge. It's just that the shorter barrel of the M4 carbine means that it has a significantly lower velocity at range (the velocity tends to degrade faster). This means a less stable bullet, which affects both accuracy and the ability to penetrate targets.

The new "just-for-M4" M855A1 tries to fix the poor performance of carbines by having a faster-burning propellant which increases bullet velocity and effectiveness-at-range. However in any case the same cartridge fired out of an M16 will still provide a superior bullet.

Of course arguing about small arms effectiveness in modern warfare is like fretting over shoelace style in a face modeling contest; very few casualties in war come from small arms. In most forms of conventional warfare your artillery, aircraft, and tanks are going to be the #1 source of losses.

But PS2 is incredibly silly in that respect because it is an infantry-centric game where the combat irrationally focuses on infantry action... something not seen in war since maybe the early 19th century.
  9. Hatesphere

If anything, basic physics would suggest a longer weapon would produce a larger moment of force (rotational)
  10. AlterEgo

I can see why they'd shorten a barrel. Such a move would make the gun a little more mobile and easier to carry around, but in a fight, a long barrel could really save you. As for the Planetside part...
    Meh. I LOVE infantry. But then again, I also believe tanks and aircraft could do better, but the only way to improve them is to improve them via empire specific ways. The best way to reinforce the idea of Combined Arms in this game is to let the different faction vehicle drivers know they can help their allies out in ways the enemy can't. The HEAT and HE nerfs were devastating on vehicles, and this is coming from a Heavy Assault main. Make tanks harder to get, but harder to destroy as well. Also, make each tank SPECIAL; Vanguard is the toughest to take out and worst to face head-on, Prowler is the fastest, and can dish out damage quickly, and the Magrider is the extremely mobile one, and should have higher splash because... well, spandex, right? As for aircraft...
    Screw them. I never liked aircraft (no game has made good use of aircraft EXCEPT for Company of Heroes, and that was a game made during a time when we had more full content than stupid DLCs). Make them faster or something, but I still want to be able to destroy them with a single well aimed shot of a dumbfire rocket. And that SHOULDN'T be the Decimator.