This small piece of art style caught my eye...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Lord Blackadder, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Lord Blackadder

I was walking around at Chimney Rock Depot on Amerish, waiting for a zerg to finish their business, when a small section of a structure at the base grabbed my attention:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    (Album with the screens above in 1080p here: http://imgur.com/a/X2LN3#p7i4Tz5)

I've been playing PS2 since early beta, but never really stopped to think about this structure and the way it looks very different from the overall PS2 art style. I can't remember seeing it at any other base on any of the continents, but it's possible that my memory fails me on that one. At least it's being used very sporadicly, that's one thing I'm sure of. If anyone knows of more examples, please do post them here. I'd love to see some.

Anyway, my point is: I really like this art style, and I wouldn't mind seeing it being implemented a bit more in new and current base designs. I'm not talking about whole structures built up from this kind of stuff, but more like how it's being used in the pictures above; as some kind of decoration, added to the main structures for some variation. Though I'm kinda getting intrigued by the thought of how a large building would like when it's made out of these things. (Biolab, anyone?)

In my mind, it would especially look really cool on Indar: pearly white with gold-like colors, shining in the blistering sun... Yes, I think that would be awesome.

But yeah, what do you think? Could PS2 use a bit of variation? Do you like this art style?
    • Up x 4
  2. Anonynonymous

Yeah, the aesthetic and colors reminds me of the art direction in Tribes. That wouldn't look out of place in a Diamond Sword base, for example.
    • Up x 1
  3. Lord Blackadder

Yeah, now that you mention it, it actually does look like something from the Tribes universe. I'm really wondering who put it in there and why. Maybe someone wanted to add a personal touch to this base.

But the more I look at it, the more I think the baby-blueish tint on gold doesn't really fit within the overall style of PS2. Maybe for a more "grittier" look, you could remove the blue color, and make it grayish. It would look something like this:

[IMG]

[IMG]

It doesn't stand out as much, but enough to bring some variation into the structure.
  4. Skooma Lord

It's actually somewhat common, especially on Amerish and Hossin I think. Its supposed to be a light.You can see them in buildings and underground bases for the most part. I like the look of it too, it adds variation to the light sources and looks more science fiction.

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  5. AxiomInsanity87

It's an Amarrian conspiracy i tell thee!.
  6. SamReye

I remember Higby mentioning color changes depending on hex ownership. I think the light blue interior would look nice if it changed depending on which faction it belonged to; it'd add a sense of faction flavor and would make it seem more like you're actually attacking an enemy base, not just another NS outpost. Besides that, I'd also love to see bases have modular parts that each faction would replace when the hex is captured. Nothing too much, but watching wall panels recess and replace as another faction's style would be very satisfying, at least to me.
  7. FBVanu

They could change to faction specific colors, when captured.. and blink while being contested..
  8. Kirppu1

Seriously? You whine about **** like this yet there are far more important problems(Meta, resource systems, New player introduction, etc)
  9. AlterEgo

It looks very "crusadey," with a hint of futurism. I like it, and I'd also enjoy seeing empire specific structures in certain bases, such as the Vanu Archives, NC Arsenal, or the J-908 Crash Site. That would be sweet.
  10. Lord Blackadder

Hah, awesome. Makes a bit more sense now. Never actually saw one hanging from the roof, but I'll probably notice more now that I know of it. I guess one of the base creators went a little "creative" with them (which is totally fine by me).

No one's whining here. Except for... you. Feel free to go and behave like a small child in a thread that actually covers something you'd like to see improved. Bye now.
    • Up x 3
  11. SamReye

"1) Be respectful and courteous - The purpose of these Forums and other official, Daybreak Games-maintained communication channels is to create a positive and constructive atmosphere for discussion about Daybreak Games Games and topics meaningful to our communities. While we may at times disagree with one another, it is important to maintain an atmosphere of civility and respect so that all voices may be heard. Disagreements with others are acceptable, but must be expressed in a reasonable and polite manner.

2) Communicate constructively - It is important for any communication, whether between players or directly with Daybreak Games employees, to be constructive. Posts without constructive commentary distract from or otherwise reduce the visibility of valuable communication and discourages others from participating in the conversation."

Forum guidelines, just in case you didn't read them ;)

I don't see why we can't fantasize about aesthetic changes when some of us actually LIKE playing a game that looks pretty. The more pressing issues are currently being addressed by the devs, anyways.
    • Up x 1
  12. JustBoo

I am sorry you are a janitor in a day care center. The things you clean up must be terrible.

But that is no reason to make such a bitter "statement" and take out your anger on the OP about your poor life choices. I found the OPs post actually quite positive and something different here from all the usual crying to endlessly nerf stuff.

Good day sir. I said....
    • Up x 1
  13. Lord Blackadder

Well said, and thank you.

You know, even though I have been playing this game for three years, I still can't help being very impressed by the visuals this game presents at times. Almost every play session I look at some large battle or at the beautiful landscape, and even after all these years, I still think to myself: "Yeah, this is pretty damn awesome and good looking. There's nothing that even comes close to this game."

And sure, the game's got actual gameplay issues that need to be resolved and have been put on hold for way too long, but I'd like to keep this thread to what it's intended to be about. I mean, they changed the look of the main textures used for bases not that long ago, and I really like that change. It perfectly shows how something doesn't have to be really big or hard to pull off to have a positive impact.

That last sentence sounds like it's about sex, but it isn't. lol

Or is it?
    • Up x 1
  14. Humhermit

Reminds of Dwemer stuff from The Elder Scrolls series.
    • Up x 2