Whoa, 2x zoom 500 certs?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Stargazer86, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Stargazer86

Really? The 2x scopes for vehicle weapons are 500 certs? Why on God's green Earth would a 2x scope be worth anywhere near 500 certs? A 1.75 scope for 150 certs is insane too. I could swear that at some point in the past, all scopes were 50 certs, flat, aside from the Nightvision/Thermal versions. 500 certs? That's just madness.
  2. LodeTria

Been that way for a long time. At least you don't have to buy them progressively anymore.
    • Up x 4
  3. Jeslis

^ This. ...

The change isn't new.. it was always 1->50->150->500 for 1.25, 1.5, 1.75, 2 X Scopes....
    Now instead of paying 701 certs for a 2x, you just pay 500. Its CHEAPER.
    • Up x 1
  4. Stargazer86

Huh, I'm pretty sure they were all one fixed price at some point. I mean, I've never bought over two scopes for a vehicle, so I've never paid over 50 certs for one of the zoom levels. It's possible I just never noticed, but still, 150-500 certs for 1.75 and 2x zoom is ridiculous.
  5. 0fly0

exactly and now people complain about price, there is also weapon like vulcan who cost now 875 or 850 certs i think when if i remember correctly was 1000 certs before
  6. eldarfalcongravtank

i wouldnt say 500 certs are justified but keep in mind a 2x zoom on a Lightning/MBT with AP cannon pretty much turns it into a vehicular sniper. and if you're on a Prowler with lockdown you'll get even more bang for your buck
  7. Geneaux

IMO, the ideal cert cost would be 300 at most, but aside from that, its not really straight up "needed". 1.75x has filled the long range role quite nicely in most use cases.
  8. Pokebreaker

Yeah, previously you couldn't jump right to the highest magnification. You had to pay for each tier, working your way up to the higher magnification, which cost more Certs. Now you just buy the one you want directly.
  9. KirthGersen

>AP >2X zoom
    Are you guys serious?:rolleyes:

In those 5 rides out of 100 when you need some zoom, 1,5X is more than enough.

2X-all-the-time is far less "pro" than IR Smoke on MBT (which I saw few times and laughed as crazy) but still pretty silly IMO.
  10. teks

2x is great for keeping distance against a superior force. If the enemy took IR, they are gonna have a pretty moderate disadvantage.

500 certs isn't bad just because before it didn't exist, and 1.75 wasn't quite enough for true sniping. 2x makes a difference to me, so I'm happy it exists at all.
  11. KirthGersen

Any good tank player will hit you hard enough from any distance with any zoom (or without) and retreat in case of danger.
    I guess you're talking about typical dumb shell excange what lasts until there come real tankers and destroy most of these bads from behind.
    That's how it really works.
  12. teks

Actually I'm talking about using a stealth lightning to get into a flanking position to hit enemy MBTs in the rear accurately without compromising my position. Any good tank can hit anything, sure, but the one with a scope will do it better.
  13. KirthGersen

Enemies have to be really, really bad to let you do this. I'm using L100 AP too but it's harder to actually kill someone with if from a big distance than in CQC. Especially as TR, when targets are pressing F after first hit to pull shield/boost :) If you play VS or NC, well, anchored Prowlers are arguable easiest targets to take out from a distance. Fun thing is that for some reason most of them wake up only after getiing several hits (unlike typical Mags and Vannies).

It's also easier to miss from big distance, especially when target is moving.

Maybe it's also the question of playstyle and priorities. I guess I'd have better k/d but much less VKPH (and certs) if I used L100 AP from a safe distance all the time. Current L100 AP value is ~26,5 VKPH, I can call it acceptable but not really good (and fun).
  14. stalkish

Now theres a name i recognise! (your sig)

Not sure if you remember but we've had many great tank battles.
    Keep it coming! :D
  15. Ronin Oni

?? 2x has always been in since launch...

but having to pay 500 certs AFTER paying 201 certs just to unlock the option to get it (and get 1.75) meant most people just stopped at 1.75

Now that you can jump straight to 2x, it's more reasonable.....

1.75 is a better buy though....
  16. teks

Bleh, maybe I just don't remember right I took a year and a half off. I trust your right here. my bad.
  17. teks

Yeah, for sure, different playstyles, and risk/reward. I've often put the time in to get a big flank on an enemy tank zerg where I've been able to just get kill after kill from a safe distance, and the scope really helps me out. It puts the enemy in this position where they have to find me, aim at me, and turn their tank at the same time. Its especially hilarious because most the time all the nearby tanks do nothing and I just plink them off one at a time.

The caveat here is your assuming that I only fight at a distance, as if the scope somehow is a detriment to close-up fighting. Its just another tool in my arsenal. I get the majority of my kills close up as well. I just respect my scope.

As for the f/d, and VKPH. Those mean nothing to me. I've spent 10-15 minutes making that perfect flank just for fun. I spend a lot of time just trolling the enemy armor, and its fun at any distance :D. I try my best to avoid any fair fights.