[Suggestion] Remove Hossin

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by PurpleTape, May 30, 2015.

1. toast2250

Well from my observation I could say that its a fact that the majority of people like to play on Indar.

I think its better to shell basses then to stare/interact with huge, non chipping walls.
  2. PurpleTape

I would love to see destructible environments in Planetside! Unfortunately, it won't happen :(
  3. Atlas Orion

How is shelling bad? It adds a dimension of realism, before drones and indescriminate carpet bombing became the "new war", that's how wars were fought. Shelling is just artillery, and artillery is just another facet that needs to be countered or protected.

Sure you shell bases with HE rounds, but the minute the defenders grow a spine, and a brain enough to get organized, here comes an air raid or AP zerg that counters artillery. Or LA with C4 or engies. Shelling isn't the end of the world or uncounterable. But it is much harder to do in Hossin. And so is countering air support. It's removing facets of the game and turns it from something more like rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock (big bang reference, google it) to rock-paper-shotguns cuz it's nothing but CQC and funnel vision.
    • Up x 1
  4. Turekson

I rather like Hossin, it differs most from the other continents. Besides, I don't see any sense in removing cont(in)ent from the game. If anything we should get more continents to fight in.
  5. PurpleTape

If there were more continents, then a larger percentage of continents would be locked. This means that it is more likely that your favorite continent is locked, increasing your likelihood to log off.
    • Up x 1
  6. Shiaari

Allow me to answer your question: How about no?

This made me laugh so hard. Hossin has the least exposed ground of any other continent. You realize this, right? All that green sh** is forest canopy. Flying under that is hard. Hitting something under it is even harder. My suggestion is that you and OP think long and hard about whether or not you want to play this game.
  7. Kronias

Thank you, Hossin is a Pilot's worst nightmare. I literally don't know where this "Air Farmers Dream" comes from. The only useful thing Aircraft can do, is Gal drop from above the canopy. I don't think they've been playing the same game.
  8. toast2250

What the hell, please stop!
    Those trees and stuff actually give you a good chance to escape from an elitist pilots and lock on's, I personally find it fun to farm there If chose so in the off peak hours.

Instead of believing yourself that its impossible to fly on Hosin, you should rather instead state that you yourself are absolutely terrible at flying. It doesn't mean everyone else is.

9. Turekson

If you mean that they wouldn't keep more then two of them open because there would not be enough players, then I guess so. Though they might keep three of them open when there would be more people on the servers and the percentage would be the same, just more continents to choose from. New continents could also bring new players the game or old players back. I know I would start a binge should they open Oshur or Searhus some day.

Regardless, the argument works both ways, so if we would have more continents it would be less likely that your least favorite continent (Hossin?) would be among the unlocked, decreasing your likelihood to log off.
  10. Ronin Oni

Because the gameplay it results in is massive zergs shelling bases nearly devoid of defenders but a few stubborn (and likely ignorant) players who haven't redeployed yet.

Really, the main problem wiht Indar is it has 96 goddamn bases, 40+ of which are WAY too small for 96+ fights. However due to lattice, these large zergs have no choice but to stop and cap these bases, which do not allow for any proper fighting at that scale.

What they need to do is what they're doing in the Conquest game mode and REMOVE the small bases from the Lattice. Make them capable at any time and they are "always avail" spawn points. This makes them into tactical resources. They could also influence cap times under their "Influence range" perhaps, but cap times and the modifier would have to be carefully balanced.

That would do a LOT for Indar IMO.
  11. PurpleTape

When I play a game, I want to play on my favorite map. If I can't play on my favorite map and my second favorite is on, I will still play, just not as much. The time I play will decrease every time my favorite map is not open until I can assume I won't be able to play what I want and never log on again.

This problem could be fixed if there are NPCs introduced into the game, but it would be a challenging task to achieve.
  12. xthezerohunter

If Hossin was removed it would shift the reward somewhere else and ruin its "balance." While Hossin is the least played continent it may have the best base design. Most people play on Indar because it's simple and there's 300+m of just open vastness for snipers and armor columns to farm. Hossin prevents major armor columns with its foliage, gives snipers a place to actually hide, give spots for Stalker cloaks to farm cap points and escape easily, provides natural cover to Air Farmers, and its trees are made of the most indestructible thing you will ever find. What's that? Driving a 2 ton Main Battle Tank capable of blowing all of your enemies to smithereens in an instant you don't know shjit about tree branches nijja. What other continent can do that? Hossin at least stands out from the others, the bases are somewhat close, have open areas for control points, have multiple hallways and tunnels for getting sunderers in a place needed to be that's far from enemies yet close enough to objectives, has dead zones in common bases, did I mention the trees? Hossin is the least played, yes; but that doesn't mean it should be removed. That's like removing Austrailium, Barnblitz, and Yakui from TF2 because people prefer 2Fort, Upward, and Snakewater. It has it's niche, removing a nice removes players who fill that niche, and PS2 is losing a lot players already.
    • Up x 1
  13. Shiaari

Oh its possible to fly on Hossin, but it's a LOT easier for me to shoot at them from the ground than it is to shoot at me from up there.

You've posted footage from exceptionally skilled pilots doing exceptionally skilled things. The bottom line is this: to be effective in air-to-ground on Hossin you must be significantly lower to the ground, which makes you much more vulnerable to everything. Very good pilots do capitalize on the canopy cover, but they capitalize on what they can. In other words, even the best pilots--while they can make the best of a bad situation--will retreat from ground fire on Hossin. They are VERY vulnerable.

I fear no aircraft on Hossin. Ever.
  14. Turekson

Yes I suppose I do the same, it's just that my favorite map tends to change. When I have played a lot on Indar I want to play somewhere else for a while and so on. I get you, it's just that in general I think the more diversity the better and that IMO no maps should be removed from the game.

NPCs could be an answer (locked continents open for PvE play), but as you said they would be hard to implement and would also eat up player population from the main game.
    • Up x 1
  15. toast2250

So your saying that you will never be able to do anything like that or even something similar in terms of only flying and not dueling?

I understand when people state that they crash in trees the moment they pull an esf but I don't condone when people claim what they experience as a standard, especially when it originates out of inexperience.
  16. Chunder

Hossin is my favorite map.
  17. PurpleTape

Short, sweet, and to the point. I like your style
  18. Problem Officer

I didn't say anything about rivers, thought this was about the continents in general.
  19. Srazor

Hossin>Amerish>Esamir>Indar. Hossin is my favorite map!
  20. Trokari

I totally agree. Remove Hossin. It's a crappy fog pit, that most people don't like to play in anyways.

- Trokari